XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2004 XJ8 117K - Front End Pulling

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015 | 10:53 PM
|
Default 2004 XJ8 117K - Front End Pulling

I just purchased my XJ8 in unknown condition. When I bought it the suspension had collapsed so I couldn't drive it before buying. Now that I have the air suspension fixed (see my other post) I find that the front end feels very vague and it pulls all over the place. When I go over bumps the car pulls one way or another and paint lines or irregularities in the road will cause it to pull around on me. I'm constantly having to correct course and hold the wheel to keep it straight. Is that just the way this car drives or do you think there is something wrong? I always expected this thing to be rock steady but mine feels very "busy" and vague. In it's current condition my Buick Lucerne would kick it's tail in a handling competition... handily! Surely there's something wrong... what are some things I should check right away in the front end? Any bushings that are common failure points?

Old 02-14-2015 | 08:57 AM

Have you had the car checked out thoroughly for loose or worn suspension, steering or wheel components and the condition of the tires? Has the wheel alignment been checked? If getting the wheels aligned, be sure to do it at Jag dealer who know how to deal with the air suspension.

Old 02-14-2015 | 09:44 AM
Banned

+1 on what Rahnkey said. After a good and through inspection get the alignment performed at the dealer.

Years ago I had an XJ6 that pulled after multiple alignments at a big box store. When I called em on it, it turned out the tech did not have a proper shim for one of the adjustments so he just ignored it. They gave me my money back. I subsequently took it to a pro who pulled it right in after one try.

With your mileage, my guess is that you are going to find 1 or more suspension components badly worn. This should/must be corrected before alignment.

Old 02-14-2015 | 04:49 PM
Veteran Member

If you have a vague front end, there is definitely something wrong. My car tracks straight and true, and the tyres last well over 30k miles, so you need to get it to a 4-wheel alignment shop, but first get the front and rear suspensions checked out for wear.

Common wear items are: -
- front lower wishbone trunnions
- front upper wishbone trunnions ( usually much less common than the lowers that do most of the work)
- front wheel bearings
- rear lower wishbone bushes
- rear tracking arm ball joints
- anti-roll bar (sway bar) link rod ball joints front and rear

Steel ball joints last a long time, but eventually wear out, and are not replaceable separately, as there is no source for the items.

As well as this, the lower air spring bushes wear out quickly as they take the full weight of the car, but don't affect the handling, obviously, they just make a lot of noise and cause vibration.

If all that lot needs replacing, you're talking of a large sum of money even at internet prices.

Only thing to mention is that these cars are sensitive to side winds. I think this is because the car is large but the weight is low. I do notice this, but it doesn't seem to affect the stability of the car.

Of course you need to also check your tyres.

Old 02-16-2015 | 08:29 AM
|

I've looked over the rear so far and certainly the sway bar link and tie rod boots are gone but the links themselves didn't feel loose when disconnected. Regardless I'll replace all of that.

Is there any aftermarket source for rear control arm bushes? I see some parts listed online for the front but not much for the rear.

I'll go up front next and inspect everything. I'm still waiting on my WDS package from British Diagnostics to arrive. I need to dig into some more suspension codes.

Old 02-16-2015 | 04:40 PM
Veteran Member

eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_js...ishbone+bushes

Pour boiling water on the arm when removing and refitting the steel-bodied bushes to reduce need for excessive force.

Old 02-17-2015 | 08:04 AM
|

Thanks for the replies... I'm having torque converter issues with the car now so this has taken a back seat to the new problem.

Old 02-17-2015 | 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by pcmos
Thanks for the replies... I'm having torque converter issues with the car now so this has taken a back seat to the new problem.
I responded to this in your other post..

Old 02-19-2015 | 09:29 AM
|

I still haven't had a chance to lift the front end and check for weak links but now I noticed I've got an occasional "clunk" up front, particularly over harsh bumps with the wheels turned.

Old 02-23-2015 | 07:31 AM
|

I pulled the front wheels off this weekend. Both front outer tie rods are shot as well as the upper ball joint. I'd like to replace the entire upper control arm but Jaguar wants and obscene amount of money for it. Does anyone know for sure if it is identical to the Lincoln LS upper control arm? Sure seems like it is. I'm going to try to find a Lincoln LS control arm locally and just do the comparison.