XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2004 XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 12:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 XJ8

Aloha, I’m new to this site and I hope I can Find out what to do.
I just became the owner of a Noce white XJ8 with 55,000
miles on it. It was given to me. I know the car had been sitting in the garage for a while because the original owners son threw it into park without coming to a complete stop.
Now, ,I’ve had the car for two weeks now and found that the jgate shifter needed to be changed and I did so.
now everything on the shifter lights up when a gear is selected.
But when I put it into reverse....
nothing
neutral - wheels spins in forward direction .
drive. - nothing
and same for the other gears.
I do hear a small clicking noise.
Is this a simple fix or do I need to switch out the transmission.
Anyone,
HELP me please.

Old 03-04-2018, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Do you get the fault light come on, and a message about the transmission ? If so, get the stored fault codes read.

If you have no drive at all back or forward it does sound like something was seriously damaged by this rather reckless youth. However, it could be something fairly simple. Either way you are going to have to spend a bit of money. Check the bolts holding the change cables where they go into the transmission. These can work loose, and even drop out.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (03-09-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Do you get the fault light come on, and a message about the transmission ? If so, get the stored fault codes read.

If you have no drive at all back or forward it does sound like something was seriously damaged by this rather reckless youth. However, it could be something fairly simple. Either way you are going to have to spend a bit of money. Check the bolts holding the change cables where they go into the transmission. These can work loose, and even drop out.
I don’t have any fault lights or messages on now, but when I first got in and started the car there was a transmission fault plus , I had other fault messages. I didn’t mention this before
but it would not start in the Park position. In fact., When I closed the door and turned the key , All the lights in the dash come on with the chimes, the doors lock and the front /rear sensors are active . So that’s how I narrowed it down to the shifter. I have access to a xj8 same year and got the shifter put it in. It started right up with the key. No fault lights or messages.
The car I got the shifter from is complete and I was given access to it for parts. I also have a 2009 XF That has been beaten with a baseball bat up in my yard . That one has the complete motor and transmission.
of which is 2009 XF supercharged. So parts are already covered . I’m just want to exhaust all the possibilities before I go and start switching them out.
thank you for your quick response.
Aloha

Old 03-04-2018, 08:18 PM
Received 317 Likes on 243 Posts

+1 checking the shifter cable bracket at the transmission - these bolts are a known common problem as they do work loose and sometimes fall out as Fraser said.

As for the clicking noise, what sort of clicking? Does it sound like its from the trans?
Possible there might be some damage done to the parking pawl mechanism, but this will require some disassembly of the transmission..... pan, valve body, etc. to gain access. This will be easier to do than swapping around entire trans.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (03-09-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by JBzXJ40
+1 checking the shifter cable bracket at the transmission - these bolts are a known common problem as they do work loose and sometimes fall out as Fraser said.

As for the clicking noise, what sort of clicking? Does it sound like its from the trans?
Possible there might be some damage done to the parking pawl mechanism, but this will require some disassembly of the transmission..... pan, valve body, etc. to gain access. This will be easier to do than swapping around entire trans.
Thanks.
I think I’ll require a diagram of the inner workings of the transmission. Just so you know what I’m looking for.
the clicking sound just started after I went though the gears after changing the shifter. And not like one time. It was like I was letting it run so I could put the fill hole and see how long it takes for the fluid comes out as I drop the backend of the car down..
I have another question if you don’t mind.
Where is the fill hole on this year transmission?
on the right side of the transmission.
or the back end mere the driveshaft?
Aloha

Old 03-04-2018, 09:03 PM
Received 243 Likes on 146 Posts

The fill plug is on the right hand side next to the exhaust pipe. Because of the small clearance between the two you will need something short, like an 8mm bit with a box end wrench to turn it.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:58 AM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Two Dubes
Aloha, I’m new to this site and I hope I can Find out what to do.
I just became the owner of a Noce white XJ8 with 55,000
miles on it. It was given to me. I know the car had been sitting in the garage for a while because the original owners son threw it into park without coming to a complete stop.

Is this a simple fix or do I need to switch out the transmission.
Anyone,
HELP me please.
Most sellers will downplay the damage they did to the car. After you check the linkages it may be necessary to drop the transmission pan and see if there are any metal bits or pieces in it. On an old automatic throwing it in park while moving could break off the parking pawl. That may or may not also create more broken items in the transmission. Honestly though setting up a swapped shifter can be difficult on any car and I imagine the Jaguar gods only made it worse on these lovely creations. Was there a specific procedure you followed or trial and error. I have not researched it.
Good luck.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by chillyphilly
The fill plug is on the right hand side next to the exhaust pipe. Because of the small clearance between the two you will need something short, like an 8mm bit with a box end wrench to turn it.
Yes. I seen it. I’m having a hard time with getting it off .
I’ll give I a go again later.
I appreciate your help.
Aloha

Old 03-05-2018, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Rancheroguy
Most sellers will downplay the damage they did to the car. After you check the linkages it may be necessary to drop the transmission pan and see if there are any metal bits or pieces in it. On an old automatic throwing it in park while moving could break off the parking pawl. That may or may not also create more broken items in the transmission. Honestly though setting up a swapped shifter can be difficult on any car and I imagine the Jaguar gods only made it worse on these lovely creations. Was there a specific procedure you followed or trial and error. I have not researched it.
Good luck.
I would like to mention that
I put the car down on it wheels for now and started it up and there was no noise or the clicking noise is not present anymore.
But I will remove the pan to check for parts in the fluid.
thanks again everyone for your help and have a great work week. Till next weekend
Aloha

Old 03-05-2018, 04:37 PM

I'm glad it sounds better. Do some research on changing the transmission fluid before you drop the pan. That way you can have the gasket, filter and enough fluid to change it. Plus you may need something to fill it. From what I've read it is a little bit of a pain to fill and check. At least it is running so you can get it hot to check the level when you are done. I would try to sort out the shift issue to make sure you can get it into forward and reverse before I changed the fluid if it is quiet. The new shifter could just not be adjusted right.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:26 PM

I'm glad it sounds better. Do some research on changing the transmission fluid before you drop the pan. That way you can have the gasket, filter and enough fluid to change it. Plus you may need something to fill it. From what I've read it is a little bit of a pain to fill and check. At least it is running so you can get it hot to check the level when you are done. I would try to sort out the shift issue to make sure you can get it into forward and reverse before I changed the fluid if it is quiet. The new shifter could just not be adjusted right.

I forgot to ask if my has a neutral safety switch.
I do where is the location.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

I forgot to ask if my has a neutral safety switch.
I do where is the location.
What do you mean by a "safety switch" ? Is it - On my 2007 car, I can select R or D from N without having my foot on the brake pedal, unlike wife's New Beetle where you must press the brake pedal to select from P or N ?

Old 03-06-2018, 11:46 PM

In my review of the Powertrain Handbood I have come to the conclusion that Jaguar uses the "Transmission selector lever interlock solenoid" as a safety switch. I can't find anything else like what is used on my older cars. Too bad. I was kind of hoping one of my little problem might be a bad neutral safeyf switch.

The Handbook has the procedure for setting the J gate which is where I found the reference to the solenoid.

Old 03-07-2018, 02:26 AM
GGG
Received 16,864 Likes on 12,186 Posts

..... I just became the owner of a Noce white XJ8 with 55,000 miles on it. It was given to me. I know the car had been sitting in the garage for a while because the original owners son threw it into park without coming to a complete stop. .....
Welcome to the forum Two Dubes,

The gearshift interlock is simply to prevent the transmission selector from being moved without having your foot on the brake. It doesn't lock the transmission, only the selector.

In the ZF, the transmission is locked by the Parking Lock Disc which is engaged when the selector is moved to Park. Selecting Park with a moving vehicle can break this or the spring on the shaft.

2004 XJ8-zf-parking-pawl.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

There's several selectors and rotary switches listed for the X305. Just because they look the same doesn't necessarily mean compatability.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 03-07-2018, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
What do you mean by a "safety switch" ? Is it - On my 2007 car, I can select R or D from N without having my foot on the brake pedal, unlike wife's New Beetle where you must press the brake pedal to select from P or N ?
Well the (neutral safety switch) , is part of the ignition system that does not allow the vehicle to start unless In P or N.
Well, That’s what was told to me anyway.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
Welcome to the forum Two Dubes,

The gearshift interlock is simply to prevent the transmission selector from being moved without having your foot on the brake. It doesn't lock the transmission, only the selector.

In the ZF, the transmission is locked by the Parking Lock Disc which is engaged when the selector is moved to Park. Selecting Park with a moving vehicle can break this or the spring on the shaft.

Attachment 211126
(click on the image to enlarge it)

There's several selectors and rotary switches listed for the X305. Just because they look the same doesn't necessarily mean compatability.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham
Thank’s Graham for this information.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:12 AM

In my review of the Powertrain Handbood I have come to the conclusion that Jaguar uses the "Transmission selector lever interlock solenoid" as a safety switch. I can't find anything else like what is used on my older cars. Too bad. I was kind of hoping one of my little problem might be a bad neutral safeyf switch.

The Handbook has the procedure for setting the J gate which is where I found the reference to the solenoid.
Thanks for the information. I kinda thought so.
Anyway, I followed the advice and drain the fluid and it smells burnt. So out of curiosity I pulled the pan filter and yes there is shavings inside.
I’m planning to pull the transmission out on Saturday.
it looks fairly easy to do. Then on Sunday I wanna go to the donor transmission and Pull it.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 761 Likes on 637 Posts

Before you do read Slowpoke's experience here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...5/#post1855209

ie Put the old TCM in the replacement g'box before you fit it, then the Jag will not 'know". LOL

Good Luck

Old 03-10-2018, 05:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts

Sorry to hear about the extent of your trans damage.Glad you have a replacement on hand, makes it a lot easier to take. Have a couple XJ8's myself, 04, & 07, you should be very happy when done, both mine are great cars.Good luck with your project.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Wingrider
Sorry to hear about the extent of your trans damage.Glad you have a replacement on hand, makes it a lot easier to take. Have a couple XJ8's myself, 04, & 07, you should be very happy when done, both mine are great cars.Good luck with your project.
I can’t wait to drive it. it’s such a nice car.