XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2004 XJ8 fm antenna help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 07:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 XJ8 fm antenna help!

I just picked up my XJ8 last week and wanted to add an RF modulated Bluetooth setup (in theory a super easy way to add stereo Bluetooth to any car). I took apart the dash and pulled the navigation head unit out to find only one little tiny antenna plug at the bottom left corner (so an adapter would be ideal). normally I would cut it and hardwire the modulator antenna into it. But there was a sticker on it that said something about "nav" I didn't want to cut it just in case it was the gps antenna. Then I thought of going straight off the antenna mast when I realized that there is no standard antenna 😳 I got in the trunk and dug around the rear nav and Cd changer unit and saw nothing there either. So needless to say I got frustrated and put it all back together for now. Can someone confirm that the little plug in the back bottom left corner of the nav unit is the actual fm antenna?? Or can someone tell me where the fm antenna is hidden in this beast? I'm pretty sure this job is doable and I've never heard of a fiber optic fm antenna (which the local sound shop tried to tell me). I'm desperate at this point. Someone help!

Thanks!

Old 01-22-2016, 11:00 PM
Received 215 Likes on 149 Posts

Not to be a salesman but you might want to look into the BT streaming unit that many of us are using that takes the place of the CDC. You can find details under the audio blogs on this forum. Search "BT streaming". This unit works, "plays well with others" way better in these cars than a FM Mod unit. And the sound will blow away a modulator unit. FM modulators can fade in and out, be over come by strong stations and other vehicles passing by. Also the sound in most of them is crappy just like the Sat radio units installed by Jaguar using a modulator hard wired.
This unit is truely a plug and play, without touching any of the dash/head unit. You wont find a negitive thing said about it from users. Thats hard to find these days with most of the junk manufactured out there. This unit was designed, tested by forum members and manufactured by a Jaguar owner/operator.
The ONLY disadvantage is that you will loose the CDC player, if you call that a disadvantage.
Just my $0.02
Mark

Old 01-22-2016, 11:13 PM

Sorry, I really didnt answer your question. The Ant connections are located in the left rear pillar (c or d pillar) under the cover. The only time the Ant cable is run into the boot area, is when there is a Sat radio unit provided by Jaguar installed. You would know if you have this unit as it takes the place of the ashtray, and is mostly installed in the Super V8's, and Portfolio's.
This unit is located in the boot on the right side. Hooking up directly to this connection would probally not work well, as there is also a switching unit installed inline in the dash area. Hope that helps.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:21 PM

You're fine, thank you for your feedback. I've been looking for days for options and wasn't finding anything. I just found this "Veffremovs Music BT Streaming Dongle is Practically Plug and Play" post and it sounds like exactly what I need... Where the heck do I get one tho and how much are they??

Old 01-23-2016, 12:40 AM

Search, "Bluetooth audio adapter for XJ8, S-Type or X-Type (D2B optical)" on the forum.
Go to post #44, & that should get you what you need (& what Veffremov needs).
The link will get you there with a redirect to the order/info site. I would recommend reading the whole post, as it will answer any questions you may have and save you and Veff some time.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:38 AM

Thanks again! I read up and clicked his link but it looks like he's not taking orders at this time. So I'm back to square one on this deal. I already have the RF Bluetooth module and I know it's possible to hook up (for me it would be a temporary thing until I can upgrade to the veff module). But I just want to know how others have done it so I don't mess anything up.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:21 AM

It is still available.
Click the link in #44.
That takes you to a Purple page. that page that states "offer is no longer available". That is for the beta test period. There is a link on that page that will take you to the current order form page.