XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2004 XJ8 Transmission Harness Sleeve Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 11:00 PM
Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts
Default 2004 XJ8 Transmission Harness Sleeve Replacement

There are plenty of Videos and how to change out transmission pan and oil.

But most of these did not detail or did not change out the leaking harness/sleeve. I hoped this will help DIY members. This was my worse fear since I read so much of how " difficult job and DIY skipped this simple step". I did not have any problem of broken or strip out transmission pan bolts during the transmission oil pan change out. My Jaguar has 65K miles on the clock. I did use cordless hammer action type of drill and top notch T-27 socket for the pan removal.

First, I changed out the sleeve by remove the Transmission X-brace located directly behind the transmission pan. This created plenty of room and made the whole sleeve replacement job simple. There were six 14 mm bolts that ties the transmission and vehicle frame to the X-brace that needed to be remove. These six bolts were not very tight. Don't be alarm if the entire transmission dropped slightly during the process. Photos shown X-brace member covered with obvious transmission oil leak. Clean photos were of X-brace were from Google. I did use white mark spray paint to reference the exact location of the X-cross member before the removal. I rather be safe than sorry since this was my first time attempt to change the transmission oil, pan, and sleeve on a X350.

Second, there is a fin located on the transmission harness locking mechanism at the 5:00 clock position. I used my hand and twisted counter clockwise and the plug/harness came loose. See photo.

Third, before remove the sleeve, I used white paint and mark top dead center (TDC) inside the transmission sleeve. The reason I did this because after carefully inspected the the new sleeve, I discovered that it has weird notches and appeared that the sleeve has to be installed at a perfect angle to make it fits. After slide down the white plastic locking latch that located inside the transmission ( this was with the transmission oil pan already removed), the old sleeve was easily pull out due to oil leak coating all three old rings. See photo.

Fourth, I marked the top dead center on the new sleeve by using the old sleeve as reference. I applied a film of high temperature onto the three o-rings on the new sleeve. After using electoral cleaner and cleaned the harness and plug, I used my hand and installed the sleeve with marked TDC to 12:00 o'clock position. With the X-cross member removed, this task was super easy. However, I was only able to install the sleeve about a quarter inch in the tunnel. I can feel with my hand that there was a notch that the sleeve slides in. This gave me confident and assurance that I did had the sleeve in correctly. I used a short section of 1-inch PVC pipe with a coupling and slightly hammered the sleeve in with a rubber mallet. (see photo). The new sleeve went in easily but the whole time, I was worried somehow the plastic sleeve will break inside the transmission if I applied too much force. Last steps were locked in the internal locking mechanism, plugged the plug/harness in and twisted clock wise into lock where the plastic fin sat at 5:00 o'clock; the X-brace member was cleaned before reinstalled. I was a simple reinstall the six 14-mm bolts. I noted that there was no Loctite on these bolts.

The easiest way to fill transmission oil fast and clean is to buy a cheap pump spray, don't installed the tube inside the sprayer, turn the reservoir upside down, cut the tip of nozzle . You have fully control of amount of oil to be fill without a mess.

Name:  IMG_6882_zpshhvttp8w.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  225.4 KB

Name:  IMG_6881_zps9b1ymm9c.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  284.4 KB

Name:  IMG_6880_zpsb9wr6mq8.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  251.8 KB

Name:  Transmission-Mount-Crossmember-C2D38505-OEM-Jaguar-XJ-XF-XK-2011-15-281971311450-6_zpso.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  83.1 KB

Name:  IMG_6885_zpsh4hbndtt.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  233.1 KB

Name:  IMG_6886_zpstqnyxhyv.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  204.9 KB

Name:  IMG_6888_zpsfd8s3gir.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  189.5 KB

Name:  FullSizeRender%202_zpsoekctjc7.jpg