XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2004 XJ8 VDP Sunroof Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 XJ8 VDP Sunroof Problems

Hello everyone, I'm new to the Jaguar community and this forum. I acquired my car a couple weeks ago and have been absolutely in love with this car since getting it.

However, the other night in the cold Denver weather, one of my friends mistakenly hit the sunroof button, and instead of it opening, there was a popping noise, and the sound of the sunroof track or motor (not which sure). It made the sound like the sunroof was opening, however the glass didn't move and pop upwards about 1/2 and inch open.

After playing around with the sunroof button for a little while I was able to get the glass to sit flush and where I believe it to be closed. When pushing the open or close button it still sounds like the sunroof track is operating but the glass only pushes up a slight amount or doesn't move at all.

My question is whether anyone has had a similar problem to this, and if there is a relatively easy way to fix it?

I went into the purchase of this car with the knowledge that somewhere down the line I was most likely going to have some maintenance repairs of some sort, and have a small amount of money set aside for these occurrences. However, if this is something I could possibly fix on my own, I'm totally game doing that rather than taking it to the dealership and getting a large bill.

Thanks for the help,

Mike

Old 03-08-2013, 09:57 AM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by fourtitude
Hello everyone, I'm new to the Jaguar community and this forum. I acquired my car a couple weeks ago and have been absolutely in love with this car since getting it.

However, the other night in the cold Denver weather, one of my friends mistakenly hit the sunroof button, and instead of it opening, there was a popping noise, and the sound of the sunroof track or motor (not which sure). It made the sound like the sunroof was opening, however the glass didn't move and pop upwards about 1/2 and inch open.

After playing around with the sunroof button for a little while I was able to get the glass to sit flush and where I believe it to be closed. When pushing the open or close button it still sounds like the sunroof track is operating but the glass only pushes up a slight amount or doesn't move at all.

My question is whether anyone has had a similar problem to this, and if there is a relatively easy way to fix it?

I went into the purchase of this car with the knowledge that somewhere down the line I was most likely going to have some maintenance repairs of some sort, and have a small amount of money set aside for these occurrences. However, if this is something I could possibly fix on my own, I'm totally game doing that rather than taking it to the dealership and getting a large bill.

Thanks for the help,

Mike

My car is all wrapped up for the winter so cannot go out and check for you right now. I have also not had mine that long either but if memory serves me correctly there are two settings. One opens as you have described, just the back edge, alternatively if you hold the switch down longer the glass will fully retract.

I found with mine that when closing it, if you hold you finger on the switch too long it will travel past the fully closed position and again just open up the trailing edge.

The following users liked this post:
fourtitude (03-08-2013)
Old 03-08-2013, 11:45 AM

Thanks for the reply. After playing around with the sunroof for half a day, I believe the sunroof has somehow come out of alignment and that I need to resync the drive cables for it. It appears closed right now, but if I push the right side of the glass down it will drop down like It's trying to retract into the roof. I took the sunroof console off to get to the sunroof motor and tried cranking it open and closed manually with no luck. Hopefully I can get it sorted out soon before it snows again, because even though the sunroof looks closed I don't think it is. I tried pouring a water bottle on it to see if it was water tight and a great deal of water leaked through. And when I close the doors the back section of the sunroof pops up and down from the pressure like it's still in the vent position.

Mike

Old 03-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Used replacement

I have sold several complete sunroof assemblies to customers. The mechanism is easier to replace than repair.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:09 PM

UPDATE: So I took the glass off of the sunroof today to get a better look at the roof tack. Sure enough there are some broken pieces to the roof track assembly that's preventing the sunroof from properly opening and closing on the track. So looks like I'll be replacing the roof track assembly since jaguar doesn't sell any of the individual pieces on it's own. Luckily (or unluckily depending on how you look at it) I just purchased this car less than 2 weeks ago and after contacting the dealer, they said they would be willing to take care of it free of charge.