XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2004 XJ8 went into reverse WHILE driving!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 XJ8 went into reverse WHILE driving!

I've searched the forums but couldn't find anything like what I'm seeing. Which is disturbing because I've found nearly everything I've ever needed to know about any of the Jags I've owned (an X200, 2x X400s and now an X350).

Short story: While driving at around 30 mph the transmission felt like it was shifting strangely and the gearbox fault warning was displayed. After coming to a stop, I pushed on the accelerator and instead of going forward the car moved backward. I work in IT, so tried the obvious and turned the car off/on again and it started going forward again for 20 feet or so, and then it slammed violently into reverse again. All in all, it was mildly terrifying - especially so when thinking of what could have happened if it had occurred in heavy traffic at highway speed. I've just gotten it home with the help of a tow truck.

Background: This is my first x350 - I've had it for around 3 months. It has 97k and has had a few minor quirks, but it seems to have been fairly well-loved by it's other two owners. It has otherwise been very reliable and very enjoyable to drive.

Yesterday, the ABS and DSC lights came on while driving home from work. After reading up, I ordered rear speed sensors (due to arrive Thursday). The warnings were gone this morning during the drive to work, but returned again on the drive home. This time, the speedometer stopped working - again, pointing to the speed sensors. After making a couple stops en-route I continued on my way home when the above issue with the gearbox occurred.

Has anyone experienced this or heard of it happening?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any insight or suggestions!

AftrBrnr
2004 XJ8

Old 11-07-2018, 12:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 595 Likes on 472 Posts

i have not seen this before.
but it would be worth checking the selector cable 8mm bolts under the car, for a start
and hope they are loose .

as far as
Yesterday, the ABS and DSC lights came on while driving home from work. After reading up, I ordered rear speed sensors (due to arrive Thursday). The warnings were gone this morning during the drive to work, but returned again on the drive home. This time, the speedometer stopped working - again, pointing to the speed sensors. After making a couple stops en-route I continued on my way home when the above issue with the gearbox occurred.
you really should have the chassis codes read via obd2 . it will tell you if you need a sensor and whitch one even .
you could be just as well throwing money in the gutter.

Last edited by Datsports; 11-07-2018 at 01:01 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Datsports
i have not seen this before.
but it would be worth checking the selector cable 8mm bolts under the car, for a start
and hope they are loose .
Thanks for the suggestion - I'm hoping so, too! I won't be able to dig into it until Saturday (maybe Thursday night if I can shuffle some things around) but I will definitely check the selector bolts.

P = normal
R = normal
N = normal
D = reverse, but sometimes D briefly, then back to reverse abruptly

I did not try the manual shift positions. Once I realized what was going on, I didn't want to risk causing more damage.

Originally Posted by Datsports
you really should have the chassis codes read via obd2 . it will tell you if you need a sensor and whitch one even .
you could be just as well throwing money in the gutter.
My old Actron code reader didn't show anything specific for the speed sensors, but the ABS and DSC warnings and failed speedometer mirrored what happened on one of the STypes I had. The $33 for a pair of aftermarkets, it seemed like a reasonable, if optimistic, gamble.

I've read the sensors can sometimes create weird shifting issues. That, plus the timing, has me REALLY hoping they're related, but I'm not seeing anything similar anywhere online.

AftrBrnr

Old 11-07-2018, 08:44 AM
Received 2,191 Likes on 1,357 Posts

all shifting issues should be addressed with fluid level check then a software update and adaptations cleared. if mine and on mine first thing I did was replace the trans pan/filter, electrical sleeve and refilled with 5 liters new tranny fluid. BTW this is the first thing ZF recommends to do on their transmissions

Old 11-07-2018, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Brutal
all shifting issues should be addressed with fluid level check then a software update and adaptations cleared. if mine and on mine first thing I did was replace the trans pan/filter, electrical sleeve and refilled with 5 liters new tranny fluid. BTW this is the first thing ZF recommends to do on their transmissions
When I bought the car I had planned on having the transmission checked / serviced - as well as a thorough going-over - at a reputable local shop I've used in the past. I spent all evening last night kicking myself for not having done it before now. That's definitely next on my list.

Old 11-07-2018, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Wasn't there a TSB about this problem on early cars ? I never had this problem on my 2003 but the car may have been checked before I bought it at 7 years old, who knows ?

Old 11-07-2018, 12:29 PM
Received 2,191 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by aftrbrnr
when i bought the car i had planned on having the transmission checked / serviced - as well as a thorough going-over - at a reputable local shop i've used in the past. I spent all evening last night kicking myself for not having done it before now. That's definitely next on my list.
its not too late and i have fixed cars with software updates tht i would have bet money would not have done anything to fix it. But then the engineers at zf know the product theyre working on and building

Old 11-07-2018, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Wasn't there a TSB about this problem on early cars ? I never had this problem on my 2003 but the car may have been checked before I bought it at 7 years old, who knows ?
I think there was a recall - but only of the affected cars.

In case this car isn't one (or was already recalled) the 2 bolts would be #1 suspect for me and after that any points made by Brutal.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:28 PM
Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Try This

Maybe this will help

Attached Files
Old 11-07-2018, 07:06 PM

Joe: My VIN is *just* outside of that range. But even if there's a cost involved, I'd be grateful for it to only take a transmission service and TCM flash. Thanks for this - I will definitely investigate it further.

Last edited by AftrBrnr; 11-07-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:08 PM

Sorry - didn't mean to double post.