XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2004 XJR Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Default 2004 XJR Brake Pads

I would like to change my pads to ceramic, but am not clear wht fits and what does not. The Akebono listing is for "To G49700 w/ Manual Prk Brk". My VIN is lower than that, but have an electric parking brake. Is there another type of parking brake besides the electrics? Does anybody have any experience with non-oem pads in Akebono or EBC? Thanks for your help.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:48 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 776 Posts

I'm happy with my EBC Red Stuff pads. I certainly wash the mags less often than I had to before, and stopping power is as expected. Of interesting note, I certainly go through the brembo rotors faster than anyone I know... the moment they start to pulsate I replace them. (about every 2 years). I've been meaning to source other rotors but haven't got around to it. Its difficult to find the correct size.

What also annoys me most about the brembo rotors is just how quickly they look like (*&^^%&$ due to the rusting.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:41 PM

Thanks.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I loved my Akebono's, but did not think they had them for XJR? I know they don't have them for my XK or I'd already have them.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:24 PM

I agree on the Akebonos. I liked them previously, but did not think they mad them for the XJR with Brembo calipers.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:52 PM
guy
Veteran Member

Well, I had to do some research:
Brakes for 2004 Jaguar XJR

Akebono don't rate as highly as Hawk... and both are available for our XJRs.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:05 AM

Hi Guy,

Thanks for your persistence! I know that Akebono lists the pads, but that brings up the other part of the question. Most that list the Aks comment "To G49700 w/ Manual Prk Brk". My VIN is lower than that, but have an electric parking brake. Is there another type of parking brake besides the electrics? I am reading the comment to say that it fits cars with cable actuated brakes? Maybe there is a later variant that is automatically actuated (as opposed to an electrical "switch")? Tirerack are pretty knowledgeable. Maybe they will know the answer. Will let you know!

Old 08-17-2012, 10:35 AM
guy
Veteran Member

My VIN is G16110. I suppose we are both in the same ballpark with Brembos, and the electrics enabled parking brake. This brake is automatically enabled when in Park. Look forward to your research. Will you include comments on rotors;-)

Old 08-17-2012, 11:08 AM

I actually found the Akebonos for $140.00 front and rear, free shipping! No limitation on use aside from VIN. Will have in a week, and I'll let you know if they fit. It is kind of strange, since nobody else (EBC, Mintex, etc.) comment about the parking brake.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:19 AM
Received 125 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by guy
This brake is automatically enabled when in Park.
The park brake does not engage on my 04 XJR until I take the key out. Putting it in park does not engage the brake.

Last edited by gmcgann; 08-18-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:41 PM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I just replaced all brakes and rear rotors on my '04 XJR. Electric actuated parking brake (it actually pulls a cable). VIN 18010. I did not run into anyone asking for vin or parking brake configuration when specifying brakes. Anyway, I installed Akebono EUR938 EURO Ultra-Premium in the front and Akebono EUR592 EURO Ultra-Premium in the rear. They fit perfectly, are very quiet and dust-free.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:43 AM

Perfect, that is what I ordered. The comment about the parking brake is actually in the Akebono factory catalog, and SOME retailers carried it through (Rock Auto, as an example). At any rate, glad to hear they went in with no problems. I will look forward to getting mind in a week. Thanks!

Old 08-20-2012, 01:55 PM
guy
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by gmcgann
The park brake does not engage on my 04 XJR until I take the key out. Putting it in park does not engage the brake.
I wonder if that's a user preference setting?? Or a locality setting??
They certainly engage for me!

Old 08-20-2012, 01:56 PM
guy
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Fitz
I just replaced all brakes and rear rotors on my '04 XJR. Electric actuated parking brake (it actually pulls a cable). VIN 18010. I did not run into anyone asking for vin or parking brake configuration when specifying brakes. Anyway, I installed Akebono EUR938 EURO Ultra-Premium in the front and Akebono EUR592 EURO Ultra-Premium in the rear. They fit perfectly, are very quiet and dust-free.
Thanks Fitz!
Hmmm, no dust?? How is your stopping power?

Old 08-21-2012, 09:23 PM

I have used them on my previous Xj8s, Alfa 164S, etc. They are very much dust free. The stopping power, imo, is very slightly diminished, but not horrible by any means.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:20 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The correct part numbers given to me by Akebono USA. for Brembo calipêr brakes the rear pads are EUR592 and the front EUR938. Ive recently had my rear pads re-placed and i ust love them!

Old 09-23-2012, 11:31 AM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Fitz how was the fitting was it a pretty easy job? Any problems at all what should us XJR Brembo guys look out for when doing the brakes. I am trying to find a right up of changing the parking brake pads any tips?

Old 09-24-2012, 08:57 AM
Default Brake pad replacement 2004 XJR

I went ahead with the Akebono ceramic PN EUR938 (front) and EUR592 and all went well. I found a place in CT that had the pair for $140.00, including shipping. One rotor was bad, but found a seemingly nice quality Centric after market at Rockauto for $77.00. I had one caliper that was stuck, but Rockauto actually had rebuilts for the vehicle for $135.00 (plus core). The only issue is that they are unpainted (Dupli-Color silver caliper paint worked fine) and no "Jaguar 'R'" logo. I found those on ebay from a vendor in th UK, and worked well. I am all in $350.00, vs $1,800.00 quoted by the garage that does routine maintenance on the vehicle, BEFORE knowing a caliper was bad. I now have silver wheels.

The following users liked this post:
Robert Page (09-24-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Robert - the job was very easy. No special tools required. You will need a small (approximately 1/8") punch to drive out the retaining pins and some muscles, or in my case, a cheater, to break the two caliper bolts loose. Retract the calipers fully before unbolting.

The front and rear wore pretty evenly, so I would count on doing them all. I did not do the parking brake pads, but did have to remove them to get the rear rotors off. I don't know your level of experience, so don't take offence when I say to be sure to turn the rotors. Any brake shop can do it.

There is a post on this site that warns "do not remove the star bolts on the parking brake calipers" I repeat it here in case you didn't see it. The parking break calipers unbolt from behind. The parking brake calipers are mechanical, not hydraulic, so if your rotors have a lip from wear and you have to retract the parking brake to remove, you are better off unbolting them, then removing the pad retainer pins, then let the pads slide through the bottom as you pull the calipers off. Once off you will see that the pistons have a big notch so you can thread them back into the calipers (this will only be necessary if you replace the rotors or parking brake pads). If you retracted the pistons, when reassembling, simply ratchet the lever on the back of the caliper to take up the extra slack. If you don't do this last step, the parking brake system will eventually take up the slack.

If you have added brake fluid, you'll want to put a tray under the master cylinder to catch the overflow when you retract the calipers.

I painted my rotors and calipers while I was at it (pic attached). That was the hardest part of the entire job. It's been a month and I am still very happy with the Akebonos.

Have fun!

Attached Thumbnails 2004 XJR Brake Pads-jag-calipers.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Robert Page (09-24-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 01:27 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks Fitz that's great information, ok just a few things. Can you clarify what you mean by turn the rotors? I have worked on a lot of fords and Landrovers back in the uk and these where real easy. What did you use to retract the pistons a kit or something else. The old way was a Pry bar! I will be changing the rear pads for now as the dealer replaced the front ones before I bought the car, then once I am up on other jobs I will change the rotors for cross drilled and change all the pads then. When I do the pads I will take pictures for the forum to document Brembo's.

Quick Reply: 2004 XJR Brake Pads