XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2004 XJR HID/Xenon issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 05:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 XJR HID/Xenon issues

Hi,

I have had some strange issues with the HID/Xenon on my 2004 XJR.

When set to "auto" the light would randomly come on and go off (with the brightness of the GPS screen dimming at the same time). I am guessing it must have something do with light sensors that tells the car if it's daytime or not.

As a workaround to this issue, I have been turning the headlight on and off manually.

Now, I started having an issue where when the headlight is on, both headlights randomly turn off for 2-8 seconds at a time, randomly. They seem to both do it simultaneously, and consistently. When this happens, the headlight-on indicator stays on, and the GPS screen does not change intensity, so it is definitely a different problem than the one described in the second paragraph.

If anyone has had the same kind of problem and resolved it, any information on what the problem turned out to be, might help me avoid paying the dealer to perform a full diagnostic.

Thank you!

Old 08-22-2011, 06:40 AM
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

I would have the ambient sensor checked...This is what senses when its dark outside and will turn the xenons on automatic when it gets dark,but when the snsor goes bad usually this will accur...intermitant flickering of the lights,the gps screen is suppose to dim when the headlight come on so nothing wrong there...so yes I think you hit it on the head...have the sensor checked...

Old 08-22-2011, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,382 Likes on 1,492 Posts

The sensor, is, well, very sensitive. Never have liked the auto feature as shadows and brief drops in brightness always triggered it.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:29 PM

Hi,

Yes, I think the sensor is probably the issue with the first problem (when the headlight is in auto mode).

But now I have an additional problem that is some kind of electronics or ballast problem, and was hoping to get some insights... if both lights turn off spontaneously and simultaneously for 2-8 seconds at a time, can that be a ballast issue? In other words, does one ballast control both bulbs? Also, does the fact of both bulbs going off at the same time rule out bulb problems? Or can one bad bulb cause the ballast to overwork and shut off for a few seconds at a time?

Eric

Old 08-22-2011, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member

No, there are ind

Old 08-22-2011, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member

No there are individual ballasts.

How many miles on the car?

Old 08-23-2011, 01:22 AM

The car has about 78,000 miles.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member

At this point, if the bulbs have not been replaced, you are definitely in need of new ones either way. So start with that and go from there. The factory replacements, Osram Xenarc are available from Amazon for about $40 each.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:25 AM

Yes, I think I'll replace the bulbs. I'm thinking it would be cool to get 6000 kelvin bulbs (I like the color better), but don't want to compromise on quality, and hopefully not spend that much more than 4300 kelvin bulbs. I know there are a lot of cheapo aftermarket bulbs manufactured probaly in China. Anyone have any suggestions/recommendations?

Old 08-27-2011, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by erictaneda
Yes, I think I'll replace the bulbs. I'm thinking it would be cool to get 6000 kelvin bulbs (I like the color better), but don't want to compromise on quality, and hopefully not spend that much more than 4300 kelvin bulbs. I know there are a lot of cheapo aftermarket bulbs manufactured probaly in China. Anyone have any suggestions/recommendations?
Stick with a major manufacturer like Osram, Philips, GE, etc., I don't think you want to risk damaging your headlight assemblies & ballasts at around $900 each with some inferior product. Plus you want something that is going to last for a while too.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:45 AM

I will probably go with the Philips 85122cm, as it is 4800K and still has an output of 3100 lumens (so it is a bit bluer, less yellow, without too much loss of lumens, as the 6000K bulbs tend to be only about 2400 lumens). If anyone has any experience with these bulbs or something similar, let me know!

Old 08-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member

Lumens are often forgotten in favour of "looks", but very important for proper visibility! OSRAM XENARC D1S is also available in a 3400 lumen cool blue 5000K but seem to be going for about $175 a piece!

Old 08-29-2011, 12:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had all of the same issues. The local dealer just shrugged their shoulders and said one of their techs would probably need to drive the car a couple of days and 'experience it for themselves'. I ask how that was different from me providing a detailed accounting of everything they did (it's not like they could trouble shoot while driving 50 mph down the parkway). Again with the shoulder shrug. I'm taking it to my independent mechanic tonight to leave for a day or two. Will post what I find out.

2004 XJR, US config, 117.000 miles.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:22 PM

Replaced both front HID bulbs (service guy said that it included the ballast as they were a part of the bulb on my car) . Lights will still flash on in broad day light and last night went off for a couple of seconds at night. Interestingly, last night when the lights went off, the dash lights also went off as opposed to going into the brighter daytime mode.
Back to the shop. :-(

Old 09-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2005 xjr

I have been having similar issues with my 05 XJR and it has about 46k miles on it. The HID headlights will flicker at times with light switch manually on. Just yesterday wife was driving home at night and all headlights and dash lights went off for brief second. I cannot see this being a sensor issue as switch is not in auto. Please keep posting as I am looking for an answer. I will try checking all grounding points.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2005 xjr

I forgot to add in last note, that I have just replaced the alternator as well. Battery died after we started hearing a whining noise from the front right of engine and sounded like it was alternator and it was. Quite a chore replacing it, as you have to lift the engine on the right side and remove the engine mount to remove and replace the alternator. I was hoping that dying alternator was part of the lighting issue, but no such luck. Now back to the lights.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

I have heard many stories about problems with the HID headlights. So glad I don't have them. I use Sylvania SilverStar bulbs and have no problems and a whiter light.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Allens2004XJR
Replaced both front HID bulbs (service guy said that it included the ballast as they were a part of the bulb on my car) . Lights will still flash on in broad day light and last night went off for a couple of seconds at night. Interestingly, last night when the lights went off, the dash lights also went off as opposed to going into the brighter daytime mode.
Back to the shop. :-(
FYI the ballasts are NOT included with the bulbs. The ballasts are located on the bottom side of the headlamp assembly. What is part of the D1S is the igniter.

Sounds like an electrical problem located somewhere else. Good luck.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:01 PM

Okay, haven't been back to the shop yet, but . . . I think my problem may be in the switch. About a week ago I set the switch to one of the delay settings (hoping that if they went into flash-mode during the day, that they'd at least stay on 30 seconds before going off again) and they've operated perfectly since. No coming on in broad daylight, going off at night, or flashing anytime.
I'd read in a similar thread a while back that the switch tended to be the weak link on some of these cars, so we'll wait, and observe for a while longer before replacing it.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:41 PM
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

let me ask you something...when the headlight went off and on did it make a noice or long alrm sound from the cluster??if it did this isnt the headlight sensor...this would make the issue a cluster pin issue with the dash..If it was no alarm noise then its the sensor ...this is how you pinpoint the two...I meant to mention that before...keep us posted.

Quick Reply: 2004 XJR HID/Xenon issues