XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2004 XJR issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 09:40 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2004 XJR issues

Hello all,

I wasn't sure if I should make separate threads for these issues or just put them all in 1 thread.

Here are some concerns I am having. If anyone can assist with any of them that would be great.

1. Power Steering is not power and returns every once in a while.

2. Engine sucking in air when Oil Cap or Oil Stick removed?

3. Transmission Fault. Tranny seems to have problem leaving 1st or 2nd gear then Transmission Fault is displayed. If I get on it then it appears to shift but you can feel when slowing down it seems to not be shifting down then get error message. Maybe new filter and fluid change is needed.

4. Cruise unavailable message.

5. Not to sure but concerned if water is circulating or not. I am assuming if water pump was bad car would overheated shown by gauge correct? I ask because hoses seem to be very tight.

There is more but the main thing is the Tranny. Any ideas? I have read that it could be a software issue.

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-07-2016, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Some thoughts on your questions -

1. Steering
This is the Jaguar Servotronic system and it varies the amount of assistance depending on road speed. Speed as measured and displayed on the instrument display is transmitted to the Front End Module via the SCP bus. The FEM then calculates how much current it needs to send to the solenoid in the Servotronic transducer. This is located by the rotary valve on the rack itself. So if you are losing power steering at slow speeds I would suggest the connections to the transducer need to be checked out. Is your speedometer working correctly ?

2.Engine sucking in air
Engines are usually designed to maintain a partial vacuum in the engine to avoid oil leaks, so there is normally a breather connected to the inlet manifold, (which is always below atmospheric pressure). Worn engines suffer piston blow-by and any harm this might do is dealt with by the breather.

3.Transmission
YOU don't say what miles are on the car, but a fluid and filter change would be beneficial at about 60k miles, plus a re-flash of the TCM. I had similar to you and a reflash cured it. As the tranny wears, (only very slightly mind), over time the pressure settings for the switch valves can get exceeded. A reflash sorts this out. The fault display will have thrown a fault code that is stored.You need to get this read so correct repair action can be taken

4.Cruise unavailable
Again, the fault code needs reading, but many of these are related to the anti-lock braking system.

5. Cooling
Once the engine has warmed up, the coolant circuit will be under pressure, so the hoses will appear hard. If the gauge shows normal and there are no other symptoms of distress then the cooling system is OK.

Tell us a bit more about the car.

The following 2 users liked this post by Fraser Mitchell:
Don B (11-04-2016), Sean W (11-07-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 11:48 PM

1. Steering is hard at start off. Power kicked in for a few seconds and then went back to hard steering. This is just trying to move car back and forward out of a space.

3. Was told transmission line was disconnected when dealer got car. Sold it guy brought it back decided it was to much work for him. So he must have put line back on. Dealer said he drove it around block after getting it back and it shifted through all the gears. I drove it again after starting it cold and appeared to shift better it took a lil while before it faulted versus letting it sit idle for temp to get up then drive and it faults quicker.

5. Temp gauge rides in the middle. I read the water pumps have plastic impellers so I was thinking maybe the water wasn't being circulated and just sitting there building up pressure. Bottom of radiator doesn't seem hot (coils), but side plastic of radiator does.

Car auction bought 121kish miles

Last edited by JaguarVDP; 10-08-2016 at 11:51 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:46 AM
Default .

Last edited by JaguarVDP; 10-31-2016 at 09:49 AM. Reason: .
Old 10-31-2016, 12:37 PM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by JaguarVDP
1. Steering is hard at start off. Power kicked in for a few seconds and then went back to hard steering. This is just trying to move car back and forward out of a space.

3. Was told transmission line was disconnected when dealer got car. Sold it guy brought it back decided it was to much work for him. So he must have put line back on. Dealer said he drove it around block after getting it back and it shifted through all the gears. I drove it again after starting it cold and appeared to shift better it took a lil while before it faulted versus letting it sit idle for temp to get up then drive and it faults quicker.

5. Temp gauge rides in the middle. I read the water pumps have plastic impellers so I was thinking maybe the water wasn't being circulated and just sitting there building up pressure. Bottom of radiator doesn't seem hot (coils), but side plastic of radiator does.

Car auction bought 121kish miles
#3 is very troubling and like I said in my other post low fluid is a possibility but is usually catastrophic on the ZF..

The following 2 users liked this post by abonano:
Don B (11-04-2016), Sean W (11-07-2016)