XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2004 XJR Multi function switch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 12:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2004 XJR Multi function switch replacement

Hi all. I need some advice and help!

I have the blinking headlights problem (intermittent of course). I have cured this in short order in the past on other Non Jag vehicles by replacing the multifunction switch.

On other vehicles you remove the cover around the tilt wheel and the switch is usually easily removable. I got a replacement from a wrecking yard. Elite Auto Parts (great spot 818-767-0445) and the multifunction is a one piece set up that shows you have to remove the steering wheel to install. Getting ready to tackle that project this weekend and was hunting for some tips and tricks. I would hate to break a clip i did not need to or mess something up.

Any advise or how too's are welcomed. Thanks.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

Ooooh ... with headlight blinking probs (not uncommon on x350s) ... the multi function switch is the very last thing I'd look at ...

1. Check the earth (ground) points of the headlamp units; they earth to a stud somewhere on the frame behind the front bumper (fender) this is a widely recognised fault point on x350s. Others who been there, done it and got the T-shirt will tell you exactly where that is.

2. If the headlights both sides blink together (ie synchronised) then check the continuity of the signal wire from the Front Electronic Module (FEM) to the Front Fuse Box (I speak from experience) the wiring loom when it comes over to the RHS of the car runs inside the front wheel arch, behind the liner, and is subject to water damage.

3. If the R & L sides don't blink together, and it's the dip beams, and they're HID lamps, and the earths (1 above) are okay ... then ... change the 'burner' (that will cost money ) going on-and-off-and-back-on-again-etc-etc is a sign a burner is on its last legs.

If they don't blink together you can say for certain that it IS NOT ...

- the multi func s/w (that has single control wire to the 'whatever' unit, which 'talks' to the FEM (digitally) via CANBUS;
- nor the FEM;
- nor a relay in the F Fuse Box (one relay does both sides).

That's my sixpence worth .. others who've done the earth thing will doubtless give theirs

cheers just now

Dave in Gloucestershire UK

Last edited by Partick the Cat; 03-07-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

A new steering binnacle switch cured my flickering headlamps at night, and nav. display swapping between day and night settings, (and I suspect headlights switching on and off in daylight).

I decided to act when, on a cold and very dark night on a twisty road here in Cheshire, I lost all headlamps for about 2 seconds. £125 well spent. These switches are a well known failure point.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:48 AM

Patrick thanks for the response and all the information. I am not a fan of electrical and tracking down all the various issues, and given that I have had repeated sucess in various vehicles replacing the multi function switch, I got the part as did Fraser.

Fraser, did you replace the part?

That leads back to my original question/Tips and tricks...... How do you remove the steering wheel ?

Anyone have any step by steps for steering wheel removal?

Let me know and thanks

Old 03-11-2014, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Do you have the JTIS?

It's free and on this forum. It's the official Jaguar Shop manual.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:24 PM

No I dont believe I do? What is that?

Old 03-12-2014, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by FreakingAwesomeJag
Patrick thanks for the response and all the information. I am not a fan of electrical and tracking down all the various issues, and given that I have had repeated sucess in various vehicles replacing the multi function switch, I got the part as did Fraser.

Fraser, did you replace the part?

That leads back to my original question/Tips and tricks...... How do you remove the steering wheel ?

Anyone have any step by steps for steering wheel removal?

Let me know and thanks
I replaced the switch with a new one. The old one had evidence of tampering, so it was clearly dodgy when I bought the car in 2010. It took some time to get really bad, however.