XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2004 XJR Oil leak unfindable and differences between XJR & XJ8?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2022, 01:25 AM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2004 XJR Oil leak unfindable and differences between XJR & XJ8?

Hi. I've got a 2004 XJR with just over 90k miles on it.
When the car is running I see no oil leak.
But if I park the car and come back the next day there is a small pool of oil on the floor.
I've looked around and can't seem to find where it is coming from and my engine is really clean.
Oil filter seems fine and was replaced and i see no oil from there.

My first question is, is the XJR oil filter housing different from the XJ8 housing?
I saw a post some where about changing that seal but when I got under the car my housing looks different from what was in the thread's photo.

I dropped the oil pan and the seal seems fine. I had ordered a seal but when the pan was dropped I discovered they sent me a valve cover seal not the oil pan seal, so I had to reinstall the oil pan with the original seal....which by the way, appears glued to the pain but I think it is just attached due to time. the seal looks good and the car did not leak when I refilled the engine with oil and ran the car.
Odd thing is it only seems to leak when the car is not running.
Any suggestions?
Does anyone know if the oil filter housing is different from the XJ8 and XJR?
Seems there are coolant lines running into my XJR oil filter housing?

Old 04-01-2022, 03:10 AM
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by ExcelsiorZ
Does anyone know if the oil filter housing is different from the XJ8 and XJR?
Seems there are coolant lines running into my XJR oil filter housing?
Hi, its a bit confusing because only the 4.2 N/A has an oil/water heat exchanger on the oil filter console while the S/C has a separate oil cooler up front behind the front grill. So if you have an XJR there should be no coolant lines on the console.
Indeed this is the reason why the consoles are completly different.

Where exactly under the engine is the oil stain and are you sure it's engine oil and not ATF?

fritz

Old 04-01-2022, 08:19 AM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

another odd thing about the XJR...i ordered 2 different oil pan gaskets and neither was a perfect fit. I chose to install one with some sealant, but it still has a small leak like the one you describe.

you should remove the plastic splash shield from underneath the car and then look for the leak. You should be able to locate it then.

Old 04-01-2022, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by flatsix
Hi, its a bit confusing because only the 4.2 N/A has an oil/water heat exchanger on the oil filter console while the S/C has a separate oil cooler up front behind the front grill. So if you have an XJR there should be no coolant lines on the console.
Indeed this is the reason why the consoles are completly different.

Where exactly under the engine is the oil stain and are you sure it's engine oil and not ATF?

fritz
Hello. I will look again but I did see coolant lines leading to an oil cooler up in the area of the radiator.
It is definitely oil.....and a large amount.

So the housings are different? And I assume the seal for one (which looks a bit like a figure eight) won't fit the XJR housing?

Old 04-01-2022, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by aceler8
another odd thing about the XJR...i ordered 2 different oil pan gaskets and neither was a perfect fit. I chose to install one with some sealant, but it still has a small leak like the one you describe.

you should remove the plastic splash shield from underneath the car and then look for the leak. You should be able to locate it then.
Yes, I could see how installing the seal probably would work best by installing it into the block first and then screwing on the pan.

Yes, I have that panel removed, which is how I was able to remove the oil pan. On a positive note, the bottom of my engine and the pan was spotless! I keep that tray uninstalled as I find it serves to trap heat. This way, I can regularly clean the underside of my engine, which is very clean, which should make finding the leak easier....but it hasn't helped.

Old 04-01-2022, 07:42 PM
Received 154 Likes on 88 Posts

There is a gasket between the oil filter house and engine that leaks over time, but if the front / bottom lip of your engine is dry this probably isn't it. +1 for the other poster who mentioned it could also be trans fluid. At this age the crimps that join the flexible hose to the metal ATF cooler lines into the radiator may have started to fail. Run a white paper towel long the front of the ATF cooler lines from underneath the car (where the hose joins the metal line), and if these come back damp with a reddish/brownish oil, you've found your culprit.

Old 04-02-2022, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by scooterforever
There is a gasket between the oil filter house and engine that leaks over time, but if the front / bottom lip of your engine is dry this probably isn't it. +1 for the other poster who mentioned it could also be trans fluid. At this age the crimps that join the flexible hose to the metal ATF cooler lines into the radiator may have started to fail. Run a white paper towel long the front of the ATF cooler lines from underneath the car (where the hose joins the metal line), and if these come back damp with a reddish/brownish oil, you've found your culprit.
Thanks, but it is definitely motor oil not trans fluid.

Old 04-02-2022, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,061 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by aceler8
buy a new mahle it will fit. people were saying they were too long a while ago. i don't know if it's user error or not but the ones sold in the last year are guaranteed fit i've done 5 of them

the lower oil pan has never changed from the 99 S-Type 4.0 to the last 4.2 XF

Old 04-03-2022, 05:57 PM
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by xalty
buy a new mahle it will fit. people were saying they were too long a while ago. i don't know if it's user error or not but the ones sold in the last year are guaranteed fit i've done 5 of them

the lower oil pan has never changed from the 99 S-Type 4.0 to the last 4.2 XF
I recently installed a Mahle oil pan gasket after thoroughly cleaning the surfaces and torquing in the correct order, but noticed a leak only on the right hand side (passenger).

It did seem a hair too long but nothing that made me question it. Curious how many of the 5 you installed did you check after a few hundred miles? Mine didn't leak immediately so I thought I was good.

Old 04-03-2022, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,061 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by kiznarsh
I recently installed a Mahle oil pan gasket after thoroughly cleaning the surfaces and torquing in the correct order, but noticed a leak only on the right hand side (passenger).

It did seem a hair too long but nothing that made me question it. Curious how many of the 5 you installed did you check after a few hundred miles? Mine didn't leak immediately so I thought I was good.
all were fine. the 2 cars i own are still good many miles later, one even has a broken bolt lol