XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2004 XJR Performance Mod Thread w/Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Ok well its been awhile and I bought an XKR which kind of diverted me a bit. So I will continue with my mod thread :O). Initially I wanted to dyno my car after each mod however time more than anything is getting in my way. Well I finally scheduled a dyno day at the same exact dyno that I had done before for next week.

Initial dyno in 3rd gear (seems it would downshift when using 4th)

Max RWHP 313 @ 5990 rpm
Max RWT 289 @ 4628 rpmock

This is stock. Ive been told it may have been higher if I used 4th but honestly Im just looking for repeatability. All three runs were within 1rwhp after a cooldown between runs. In third however you will hit the speed limiter if you try to rev past 6,000rpm.

Anyhow my mod list has changed a bit as to what I will be doing

Next weeks dyno will involve only the Caldoofy/Mina intake combo I have listed above. I felt this a good dyno point as this is a mod I can see many people doing. Lets see how this goes.

I also changed my mind about the exhaust. My third dyno session will likely consist of these following mods:

1) Arden back half exhaust
2) Rebuilt M112 with newly rebuilt and coated rotor pack
3) Eurocharge tune. This will remove speed and raise rev limiter and whatever else they do. I believe lowering the fan turn on point as well
4) Lower degree thermostat
4) The powerhouse steel pulley requiring clearance of the snout. I had gotten an aluminum pulley with the tune however that's going on my xkr.
5) Snow Methanol kit
6) Ported TB
10)Pro-M 9mm MAF. They assured me they had for both the 4.2 and 4.0 SC engines....

Likely this will be the end of any performance upgrades to this car unless I get an LSD or some sort of better blower. I was also really wanting to experiment with the SC inlet and any restrictions that may have. Not sure how much room is back there or if it would make a difference. On just about every eaton powered car ive owned its made a huge difference and from the factory been a source of restriction. ANYHOW...This is where Im at and hopefully I get those new dyno numbers next week. The car felt strong after the intake mods so we will see:O) I have no idea where all of this will bring me but if I did hit 400rwhp it would tickle me silly lol

Last edited by XxSlowpokexX; 02-25-2015 at 03:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by XxSlowpokexX:
Don B (08-10-2015), nycturbovr6 (04-22-2015)
Old 08-10-2015, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member

Well my work schedule and potential dyno days seem to keep interfering with one another.....So no Dyno...Well as luck may have it I installed the Arden back half exhaust I had bought DIRT CHEAP on ebay. It is very well likely in my head but I could swear I feel a bit more get up and go. It has a slight hum nothing obnoxiously loud. Quality and fit and finish is extremely good and besides the ugly quad tips (what were they thinking) its wonderful. I am currently awaiting some nice oval ones:O). Hopefully it looks good. The entire job took me 15 minutes. Took me longer to think about doing it then actually doing it. Will take some photos once tips are on. But for now here are some side by side comparisons. Im thinking once the twin screw is installed my smile will increase substantially....Its funny however. The girlfriend was like why does your car sound different....I did tell her something about not buying any more cars...Said nothing about superchargers exhausts and whatnot haha

Attached Thumbnails 2004 XJR Performance Mod Thread w/Dyno-img_0153.jpg   2004 XJR Performance Mod Thread w/Dyno-img_0151.jpg   2004 XJR Performance Mod Thread w/Dyno-img_0152.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Don B (08-10-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 06:01 PM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

Its been fun following your journey on your x350. But if your girlfriend is questioning your purchase decisions, she sounds more like your wife! ;-)

The following users liked this post:
Don B (08-15-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by anindyam
Its been fun following your journey on your x350. But if your girlfriend is questioning your purchase decisions, she sounds more like your wife! ;-)

I think shed be your best friend after reading this lol! Truth be told having 7 cars and making all of them projects of some sort is an issue. But it could be worse I suppose. ANYWAYS just got some Borla oval slash cut tips for the exhaust. They look great...Next some rear end photos! Guess Ill be putting the factory arden tips up for sale if anyone would want them. Also looking into getting some new tires as my front rim got a wee bit bent and the tire a wee bit messed up. I am going a tad wider and taller. But equally taller. Hopefully that doesn't screw with things. The 255/35/20 are just way to thin a sidewall profile for this car..At least for nyc

Old 08-15-2015, 09:55 PM
doc
Received 202 Likes on 169 Posts

When you are playing with tyre sizes remember your speedometer is probably out a bit

Here in Australia the the law say a speedometer can be up to 10% out and be acceptable

I have found on all my cars the speedo is out on my van it was 6 kph on the jeep it was also 6 kph my XJ8 is also out even with 19inch wheels

I managed to get the jeep right with tyre size change as well as the van but the XJ was not possible as I couldn't find any tyres the size needed to alter the reading

I use this Visual Tyre Size Calculator | Kouki Tech when I am playing with tyre sizes also remember if the speedometer is out your vehicle might not have as much mileage on it as the odometer reads

When I bought the jeep for my wife it was so called high mileage but after the calculation it turned out to be reasonable not sure in other country's if speedometers are out

I always check it against a couple of GPS readings first

I have also had arguments with some people over this

The proof is there for me I have driven on the cruise control at the speed indicated by law with my new accurate speedometers and never been pulled over and I have done 60,000 k,s already this year in my van all over Australia some states give 3% before targeting for speed some 5% some 10% most of the time I am passing other vehicles and takes time of my journeys because I am not driving slower that the marked speed something I hate

Its bad enough the law target motorists for minor speeding infringements especially when you are out in the middle of nowhere in busy suburban streets I can understand here in Australia people cross the road wherever they like bit like cattle so you have to be very aware

Here in Australia it is illegal to have radar detectors and any device that interferes with number plate recognition devices so making the speedometer accurate is a must if not for obeying the law its to make mileage traveled accurate high mileage odometers devalue cars and our jaguars are already a fast depreciating type of vehicle

Last edited by doc; 08-15-2015 at 10:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by doc:
Panthro (12-30-2016), XxSlowpokexX (08-16-2015)
Old 08-16-2015, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member

Doc same here. But they cant check speedo accuracy. Im also increasing front and rear the same so hopefully no issues. with ABS etc. I actually picked up a set of slightly used GTR tires. 285 in the rear and 255 up front. 40 and 35 aspect ratio. Im really just wanting to protect my BBS rims which do not like NY potholes. If these tires fit great. If not Ill have a better idea of what I can go with. I found some new 265/30/20 tires which give a tad bit more sidewall and more tire on the ground which should help... I generally increase tire size for performance...In this case its all about saving my rims from an untimely death. Be interesting how these tires work....If they do....

Old 09-29-2015, 04:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I clearly see initial hp on a dyno. And alot of talk and images of mods....
What are the results according to a dyno?????

Old 10-04-2015, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dutch xjrdiamond
So, I clearly see initial hp on a dyno. And alot of talk and images of mods....
What are the results according to a dyno?????
No New Results. Havent had the time to coordinate with the dyno shop. Which was the entire idea of the initial dyno. On better news my AVOS twin screw kit is on its way:O)...Before doing it though I will get dyno in as it sits now. May have some goodies for
sale as well.