XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2004 xjr phone / bluetooth module install

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 12:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2004 xjr phone / bluetooth module install

Hello all,

Going to install PSE module and bluetooth. Does anyone know
what the difference is in the modules below. i have access to both.

2W93-19K350-AC which had bluetooth module with it out of 2006 VDP.

2W93-19K350-AD out of 07? x-type

will the bluetooth module work with the AD module as well? what does AC do that AD doesnt and vice versa?

Old 12-12-2016, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

Originally Posted by JaguarVDP
Hello all,

Going to install PSE module and bluetooth. Does anyone know
what the difference is in the modules below. i have access to both.

2W93-19K350-AC which had bluetooth module with it out of 2006 VDP.

2W93-19K350-AD out of 07? x-type

will the bluetooth module work with the AD module as well? what does AC do that AD doesnt and vice versa?
They are both Jaguar Bluetooth modules. Its just that one is for an XJ the other an X-type.

When I was looking for a Bluetooth module for my car I discovered 2 different types. One was a metal looking module and one a black plastic module.

The latter was an "updated" version that is supposedly capable of supporting more than one phone. I installed the updated one along with a microphone and a BMW aerial.

Attached Images  

Last edited by jackra_1; 12-12-2016 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Added picture.
The following users liked this post:
JaguarVDP (12-13-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 09:28 AM

Jackra_1,

1. Is that the only difference in the silver and black box you posted? Black box allows up to 5 phones to be paired?

2. I also notice there is a antenna spot Im guessing on the black box. So If I go with the black one, I will need to find a separate antenna for that one correct?

Old 12-13-2016, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

Jackra_1,

1. Is that the only difference in the silver and black box you posted? Black box allows up to 5 phones to be paired?

2. I also notice there is a antenna spot Im guessing on the black box. So If I go with the black one, I will need to find a separate antenna for that one correct?
You need an antenna for both as well as a microphone if you do not already have one.

Somewhere in this forum a BMW antenna was used with the updated Bluetooth module was used which is what I used. Quite cheap and a very easy fit.

Search for: "Updated OEM Bluetooth Upgrade". Not sure whether the BMW antenna is mentioned somewhere in there.

This is what the BMW antenna looked like.

Attached Thumbnails 2004 xjr phone / bluetooth module install-bmwbluetooth.jpg  

Last edited by jackra_1; 12-13-2016 at 11:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jackra_1:
JaguarVDP (12-13-2016), Panthro (12-20-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 12:37 PM

Thanks at salvage yard now and the car is an 08. it has an antenna on the roof i thought that was it. i have an antenna doogle looking thing that went under armrest im assuming this is for the silver one.

also what does the jagaur voice module do? i installed that and nothing changed. does that require the phone module to work?

Old 12-13-2016, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks at salvage yard now and the car is an 08. it has an antenna on the roof i thought that was it. i have an antenna doogle looking thing that went under armrest im assuming this is for the silver one.

also what does the jagaur voice module do? i installed that and nothing changed. does that require the phone module to work?
I assume you mean the VACM module? Voice Activated Control Module.

You should have the voice button on the steering wheel? Press that once and say a command. When first pressed it will say "Listening" in the message box on the instrument cluster. If it hears you and does not understand it will list that error in the message box.

If it does not hear you because you have no microphone set up it will time out.

It does NOT require the phone module to work.

Also components on the D2b ring need to be installed in a particular order. I think CDC, Phone, Voice, Navi.

The doogle is a BTUM which is what the silver module requires.

The D2b diagnostics check is accessed by pressing the AM/FM and eject buttons. The screen will show the set up screen. Pres eject + mix to cycle through.

I have not done this for a long time. So not sure if you will get an "update" choice. IF you do I advise that you DO NOT choose.

Last edited by jackra_1; 12-13-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:25 PM

i think originally mine was in shelf order navi, cdc and that is it. i have added rear entertainment without dvd player. i cords are marked amp, cdc, phone, inline bt, and another one i think. but now adding vacm and phone leaves some parts with out a loop connection i have an extra i was going to modify and add some in if possible. i didnt know that had to be plugged in a certain order i thought they were just supplying power..

so in the stack from top to bottom will be..

Navi
CDC
Vacm
phone/bluetooth module

Old 12-13-2016, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member

i think originally mine was in shelf order navi, cdc and that is it. i have added rear entertainment without dvd player. i cords are marked amp, cdc, phone, inline bt, and another one i think. but now adding vacm and phone leaves some parts with out a loop connection i have an extra i was going to modify and add some in if possible. i didnt know that had to be plugged in a certain order i thought they were just supplying power..

so in the stack from top to bottom will be..

Navi
CDC
Vacm
phone/bluetooth module
The order in the stack does not matter. It does in the D2b optical loop.

All of the power connectors were already there behind my stack. The ones not in use were simply taped to the harness behind the stack. The power connectors have "standard" wiring and are not associated with the black D2b cable.
I had a spare connector labeled "ICE" with a D2b loop in it. I did not have In Car Entertainment but the connection was there anyway.

I also did not have a microphone so had to purchase and install in the overhead console which had a connection for it.

Old 12-13-2016, 04:04 PM

hmm can i cut and alter the loop as something is missing the car i got the blutooth out of didnt have as many connector as my car has. there is enough for the units. but it leaves no connection to this one in the picture and then i lose power to the rear entertainment. the 1 labeled bt inlne if left empty causes the rear monitors and controls to not have power.

Attached Thumbnails 2004 xjr phone / bluetooth module install-img_1596.jpg   2004 xjr phone / bluetooth module install-img_1597.jpg  
Old 12-13-2016, 04:31 PM

i plugged it all in and left the connector in first picture blank. i have no sound from radio, phone button when pushed shows phone not fitted and with radio on the phone button on steering wheel makes the screen say mut when pushed

Old 12-13-2016, 05:08 PM

well it is either plug rear ice fiber optic in bt inline to power the rear monitors/controls or plug it into the voice module there arent enough cable to power them both. when i plug in the voice module nothing happens anyway... im confused

Attached Thumbnails 2004 xjr phone / bluetooth module install-img_1598.jpg  
Old 12-13-2016, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member

hmm can i cut and alter the loop as something is missing the car i got the blutooth out of didnt have as many connector as my car has. there is enough for the units. but it leaves no connection to this one in the picture and then i lose power to the rear entertainment. the 1 labeled bt inlne if left empty causes the rear monitors and controls to not have power.
You cannot have an open socket in the D2b cable LOOP. It has to be a continuous loop.

The output from one D2b connector goes in to the input of the next D2b connector and so on.

In my car the last connector was for ICE and it had a simple short loop installed as I did not have rear entertainment. Your donor car possibly had a loop in the ICE connector if it had one. I took the loop out and connected 2 more units with extra D2b cable that I bought on Ebay with connectors.

http://ww2.justanswer.co.uk/uploads/..._com_info..pdf

Have a look at the above URL

Last edited by jackra_1; 12-13-2016 at 09:32 PM.
JaguarVDP (12-13-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 09:44 PM
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,427 Posts

^^^ Someone ripped off Jim Westville's guide and cut out all the credits (and half the pages) here is the original with much more information.

article_-_d2b_linking_fibre_optic_cables.pdf

JaguarVDP (12-13-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 11:17 PM

thanks for the info. so glad i didnt cut the wires. still not sure why the vacm isnt doing anything. i push voice button on steering wheel and nothing happens. could it be because i dont have a mic plug in yet? i thought it would still talk but nothing happens.

i saw somewhere online in a video there are buttons to push on controls and go in and select equipment in the list and active it with option buttons.? i think it is phone and menu button at the same time, but i dont know the code to punch in. maybe vacm is turned off in that menu

Old 12-14-2016, 06:11 AM
Veteran Member

The D2b diagnostics check is accessed by pressing the AM/FM and eject buttons. The screen will show the set up screen. Pres eject + mix to cycle through.

Do the above and it will cycle thru showing whats on the D2b loop. If VACM is not shown it is not seeing it.

Also a microphone is needed. Without one neither the Bluetooth or the VACM will work.

JaguarVDP (12-23-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 07:59 AM

My apologies for delay. I got everything hooked up and all appears to be working. Once I added the microphone, VACM started working. I went ahead and went with the. luetooth combo black box. It appeared to work without the antenna but i still installed the antenna anyway. Thank you all for your assistance.

What all does the VACM do?

So far I noticed it turns on Climate, Radio, Screen on/off.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member

If you have a "Touch Screen Manual" it describes all that can be done with voice control.

There is also a "voice training" program where it "learns" your voice.

I use mine a lot to control the CD players.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, I have a question about this Bluetooth unit. I'm in the market for a 2004-2006 xj8 and I've seen some non navigation cars as well as some models with the navigation system. If I end up purchasing the non navigation I can always fit an aftermarket radio with car play or android auto and retain my steering wheel controls with an adapter, however, if I go with the car that has the nav system it will be way more complicated, so, my question is, if I purchase this Bluetooth adapter for the car, will it only work for phone calls, or will it work for streaming songs from the phone as well?
Thanks in advance!!

Old 02-04-2018, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member

The OEM Bluetooth module will not stream music.

Many on this forum have gone with the Veffremov unit.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...vs-kit-137906/