XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2004 XJR ...on the ropes

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 04:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 XJR ...on the ropes

I have a 2004 XJR with 154k miles on it.

Mechanic says that the transmission is going to go "soon". He says it is not worth paying him to replace it. I think I agree with him.

I am not a mechanic ... what would you do with it?

Old 05-20-2017, 05:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is it displaying any issues yet? If not, you could just keep driving it... Otherwise, I guess your choices are repair, replace, or sell the car as is. If it was me, it would depend on the condition of the rest of the car and how attached I was to it - all of those choices are going to cost money...

Old 05-20-2017, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

What is the mechanic's reason for saying it is "going to go soon" ? Any reasonable person would want to know why not just when.

Old 05-20-2017, 06:05 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Get a second opinion, a mechanic shouldn't give you such a vague statement like that. That's almost useless.

Old 05-20-2017, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

I think that the most important question is. If you fix the transmission, how long do you plan to own the car after that? Whatever the cost is, you have to project it's amortization over the following period of ownership. I think a lot of guys get caught up in the idea that they don't want to spend any more money than they can recover through resale. They are afraid of being in the hole. Just think, that when you bought a brand new car, you took a massive hit in depreciation as soon as you drove it off the lot. You probably weren't too worried. For one thing you were excited by the car and weren't planning to sell it any time soon. And it was new with a warranty, so any problems if they should occur, would (hopefully) be resolved quickly. Also you figured that what ever the cost of the vehicle, you were planning on driving it and getting your money's worth out of it.

So why is it so scary to spend any money on an older car? How long were you planning on keeping this car? If you've had it for a year or two already, and that was your plan, then just sell it as is. Do not spend another dollar on it! You will lose less money that way. Sell it while it is still running, few people (besides myself) are interested in buying a non running car that can't be easily evaluated and transported home.

If the car is in good shape; body, paint and interior and you would like to keep it a bit longer there are strategies. If you got a quote for a transmission rebuild or replacement from a Jaguar dealer it's no wonder that you are concerned. Find a good independent transmission shop and get a quote from them. You might call Continental Motors in Oakland. These are some great guys. The other thing that you might consider is replacing it with a used "known to be good" transmission. I'm not suggesting that you go to the local Pick and Pull and source the unit from there. Believe me, I've seen XJRs in there. Although to be fair, you can get some great finds. I once found a recently rebuilt motor for my '66 Riviera there for 125.00!

Look for an established foreign car salvage yard and inquire about the transmission you need. These yards will usually have some idea about the condition of the transmissions they sell, as it should have been evaluated before it was removed from the car. The warranty is only for ninety days at most and you will need to have it installed through an actual shop. The shop will probably not guarantee their labor if the tranny turns out to be bad, hopefully though they might give you a discount, in that situation. Chances are you will probably end up with trans that will be good for several years, maybe more. Who knows? Truth be told, it is a bit of a crapshoot, kind of like buying most used cars.

So the choice is up to you. Think it through. You can recover the cost of any repair if you get the use out of the vehicle Good Luck.

The following users liked this post:
genec (05-21-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Define what all the problems are

Originally Posted by fogcity1981
I have a 2004 XJR with 154k miles on it.

Mechanic says that the transmission is going to go "soon". He says it is not worth paying him to replace it. I think I agree with him.

I am not a mechanic ... what would you do with it?
list everything that needs repair. Suspension, air struts, and other bits. The tranny may only need fresh fluid and filter. Plus sleeve. These transmissions are tough.

Old 05-20-2017, 07:06 PM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts
Default There are options so stop ask questions and think

I support what rivguy posted below...also here's just an example what's out there and available....that includes repair parts at reasonable prices.

2003-2004-2005-2006-2007-2008 JAGUAR XJR SUPERCHARGED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION | eBay

Old 05-20-2017, 09:38 PM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Does the transmission give codes or not work right? If you really like the car and have no other issues, it may well be worth spending the money. My 2004 XJR has 93000 miles on it and the transmission was replaced when it started give error codes. And I really like the car

RyeJag

Old 05-21-2017, 08:59 PM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Rivguy
...transmission shop and get a quote from them. You might call Continental Motors in Oakland. These are some great guys. The other thing that you might consider is replacing it with a used....
I agree with this completely. Continental Motors specializes in Jaguars and know these cars inside and out.

I agree that a lot more info is needed so guys with a lot more knowledge then I have can help out. But it would be tough for me to put a lot of money on a 14 year old car with 154k on it. But...it depends...I'm struggling with the same decision on my 17 year old 2001 XJ8 with 122k. What to do, what to do.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:39 AM
Default thanks - my end game

Thanks to all with comments.

Yes, I should probably say a bit more. First, the mechanic is Derrick at a local shop in San Rafael - JagMan. He is very good and very fair. He said "hear that noise? - that is your torque converter - that's not good".
The symptom I took it in for: at 3200-3500 rpm, the engine will start bucking and the check engine light and restricted performance kicks in. Restart the car and it usually clears first time. as long as I keep it under 3200 rpm, it is okay. History is the problem. the car was sideswiped 5 years ago and had 12k of repairs - basically passenger side bumper to rear quarter panel. I think the frame is a bit off - in spec but a bit off. I have a loose bushing, uneven tire wear and a bit of a rattle under heavy braking downhill. I have replaced the ECM/ECU, coils, throttle body and the front shocks - but I probably still need a rear shock(s), rotors and the air compressor is slow to fill - ride leveling takes about 90 seconds, vs. the old 30-40. Each of the wheels has a scrape or two. And the body is showing 155k miles of wear. a little scrape in the front quarter panel where a delivery truck did a back up hit and run... little dings on bumpers. needs new passenger side molding. I love this car, but I can't see putting another 5k into her at this point.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Based on your description of the condition of the car and the work you have had to do, it certainly does seem as if it's not worth spending another large sum on it. However, the torque converter is separately replaceable from the gearbox, so would not cost shed-loads of money.

Basically, it is your call, and if it were me, I'd be looking to see whether I can afford a newer X350. Trouble is, what do you do with the old car, part it out ? If you fix the torque converter the car then becomes a serviceable car that can be sold on, albeit you have to take a hit on the repair.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member

After reading more details my advice is to sell the car as-is. Just disclose that it has a trans problem. There may be a buyer/ home mechanic that will see no problem in swapping out the tranny. Stop at Pick and Pull, yank tranny out of junker, yank the tranny out of your XJR, replace it , and give it a go. Believe it or not, there is, I believe, either a 30 or 90 day warranty on the stuff you buy at P&P. Of course there is a lot of labor involved, but it isn't brain surgery, ask me how I know!

Don't drive the car anymore. It will be much easier to sell if the potential buyer can drive it onto a trailer, or limp it home. Yeah, you aren't going to get too much for it, just accept that up front. probably around 1,000-1,500 bucks. but it is an XJR, the most desirable XJ8 model.

There are guys that willingly buy non running cars. I'm in the process of buying an old Jag that hasn't run in twenty years at least. It's a real oldie but goodie! Details to follow. I'm either crazy like a fox, or dumber than dirt! The decision will be determined by the result in the end.

Just another point. Nothing I've written, and I imagine any one on the forum, is meant as a judgement on your status as a Jaguar lover. It's just a car, you have to choose the option that is best for you. Good Luck!

Old 05-22-2017, 05:23 PM

Rivguy, I hope you are proven to be crazy like a fox. I forgot to mention that I bought this car new in 2004 with all of 6 miles on the odometer...hence my hesitation over what is a no-brainer from a pure economics standpoint.
good luck with your project!

Old 05-22-2017, 08:47 PM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by fogcity1981
Rivguy, I hope you are proven to be crazy like a fox. I forgot to mention that I bought this car new in 2004 with all of 6 miles on the odometer...hence my hesitation over what is a no-brainer from a pure economics standpoint.
good luck with your project!
Since you bought it new in 2004 then you've got your money's worth. I'd also sell it as-is and look for a nice low mile 2007/2008 model. Or, some other "car of your dreams". Life's short. Have fun while you can. But don't go broke in the process. If you do buy another XJ8, at least you know what you're in for, un-like new members who are just getting their feet wet with the mark.

Love 'em or hate 'um, Jags are a wild ride!

Old 05-24-2017, 01:12 AM
Veteran Member

Thirteen years of ownership is a pretty good run! Look at it this way, selling the car will allow another hobbyist to fix and enjoy it or use it to prolong the life of another XJ. You definitely reached the point where a difficult decision has to be made.