XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2004 XJR - Source of clunk appears to be the Arnott's Air shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 09:24 PM
Received 242 Likes on 146 Posts

Wow, that's crazy. Glad y'all are okay. I'm interested to see how Strutmaster responds. I haven't heard of any others failing...I wonder how common a thing this is with them??

Old 11-13-2016, 09:25 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I was planning the forementioned hybrid... looks like i'll just drop the 400 bucks and get real Bilsteins now. My only concern with the SM units had been those plain black shocks anyways. BETTER SAFE THAN...DEAD

Old 11-13-2016, 09:32 PM

04XJR, I thought you had already bought and installed them...?

Old 11-13-2016, 11:35 PM

Yep...and that horror story was the only excuse I needed to justify the purchase of Bilsteins! (that i was looking for anyway) Remember how I posted pics and my concerns about the generic black shocks in the Strutmaster price drop thread?

Old 11-14-2016, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 198 Posts

They are sending a replacement strut out, no questions asked. When I am back at the shop after work today, I will remove it and figure out exactly what happened. It appeared that the snap ring broke off letting the spring perch loose. That is what Strutmasters is going with. The strut is Bilstein - that is their claim - it is clearly shown in their invoice.

It is disheartening. I did leave *all* the air apparatus in the car. It will be fairly easy to put back 4 air bags and replace the F12 fuse that controls the air suspension. I will have to do some more forensics.

The following users liked this post:
04XJR (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 02:08 PM
Received 163 Likes on 129 Posts

It's got to be an unusual manufacturing defect. I checked mine over and everything looks solid though if I had that experience I'm not sure I'd trust another. It does bother me that beyond the springs looking the same and having the same stickers the shocks look different including the color. I wonder if the spring perch mounting location is different and explain the difference in ride height if the springs are the same. The back definitely looks too low to me after your first installed pictures.

Old 11-14-2016, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Lagonia
They are sending a replacement strut out, no questions asked. When I am back at the shop after work today, I will remove it and figure out exactly what happened. It appeared that the snap ring broke off letting the spring perch loose. That is what Strutmasters is going with. The strut is Bilstein - that is their claim - it is clearly shown in their invoice.

It is disheartening. I did leave *all* the air apparatus in the car. It will be fairly easy to put back 4 air bags and replace the F12 fuse that controls the air suspension. I will have to do some more forensics.
Your unlucky experiment with these Strutmasters is shocking to say the least. Apparently quality and control are not there.
If you are not satisfied or convinced by these struts, do you consider going back to Bilstein air struts (B4) or trying other coil springs ?

Old 11-14-2016, 02:50 PM

Its a bummer Lagonia. My green and black Bilsteins OE to S type Rs for the hybrid build are on their way. I was able to do it for under $370.00 shipped. I'll take detailed pics when they get in. I'm driving around on the SM units now and, while not as confident about them as I was before your...incident. I am still pleased with the ride. Thanks for letting us know about everything! Strutmasters should do more than just send a replacement for you! They will loose buisness from anyone reading the posts. You should tell them that!

Lagonia (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 02:55 PM

Torrid, can you take pics of your SM units for us?

Old 11-14-2016, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by paydase
If you are not satisfied or convinced by these struts, do you consider going back to Bilstein air struts (B4) or trying other coil springs ?
I will go back to air if my experience does not improve and will go for Bilstein. My original motivation was to remove two fairly new clunky Arnott's OEM bags, reduce the cost and future proof my suspension. The rest of my air suspension is solid.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by 04XJR
Torrid, can you take pics of your SM units for us?
I got up under it but I'll have to jack up the car sometime to get pictures. I actually need to partially revise my original statement though. Only the fronts are green. The backs are black but the design does look different to me. His makes the whole body of the strut smooth. Mine has a visible weld on the lower section where the strut attaches to the car. As you said though, it's the snap ring that failed, not the strut or spring. I still wonder why the overall ride height is lower than stock especially shortly after install. My car sat a bit high when first installed and settled to OEM height after I put some miles on it. I've actually never had a coil spring car that sat this evenly side to side either. I don't have a bad word to say about my experience with them.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Default Failure Analysis: Cause identified

It was indeed a manufacturing defect. The strut was assembled *incorrectly* as shown in the pictures below. I verified the left strut and it appears to have been assembled correctly. Looking at this, it makes total sense that it failed. I am surprised that it lasted 20 miles.

Had this been something not obvious or an early structural failure, I would have removed the struts from the car and gone back to air. However, I am willing to install the replacement that comes in and give it a good whirl....

04XJR (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 07:19 PM

I think that settles it for me. the S type R (non electric dampening) shockare from Bilstein are green in front, black in back. (check my parts numbers from previous post) Im guessing you paid full pop for your SM kit, vs the "on sale" price of $999.00

To me it seems pretty likely that Strutmasters went with cheaper shocks to lower the price. So my hybrid build will pretty much get me what you have Torrid..for about the same price. I can live with that.

Their customer reps have told different people different things about shocks. recently they told a forum member they used "custom" monroe units... eech.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:20 PM

Thanks for the update Lagonia! i knew it had to be something straight forward!

Old 11-14-2016, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member

Im guessing you paid full pop for your SM kit, vs the "on sale" price of $999.00
This is their $999.00 kit that I installed. 04XJR, Strutmasters has a video on YouTube showing how they assemble these struts. Springs and shocks come separately and they assemble them in their manufacturing facility. This is a human error on their part, 100%. I have assembled and disassembled struts in the past so this is not new to me. This merely shows their quality control sucks - no independent verification of the actual assembly from a second set of eyes.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:46 PM

No, that was a response to Torrid's post. His kit had the right color for Bilsteins. While i was typing, you posted your update.

I will dissasemble My SM kit (which is like yours Lagonia) and take side by side pics with the Bilstein units I have coming (by next week). We will solve the "which brand shocks does Strutmasters use" mystery once and for all.

Seriously man, I hope im wrong...I have no problems returning the Bilsteins. That bluetooth stereo kit forum memeber Veffremov makes aint cheep afterall...

Last edited by 04XJR; 11-14-2016 at 08:03 PM.
Lagonia (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 08:14 PM

Thank you for the detailed update, Lagonia. I suppose for future purchasers of this product, it would be wise for them to be the "second set of eyes" and check the product assembly before installing. I hope you get things sorted out quickly. Do you know if they rushed your shock so you can have it sooner?

Lagonia (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chillyphilly
Thank you for the detailed update, Lagonia. I suppose for future purchasers of this product, it would be wise for them to be the "second set of eyes" and check the product assembly before installing. I hope you get things sorted out quickly. Do you know if they rushed your shock so you can have it sooner?
Just be careful. If not assembled correctly, it may decide to give at any moment and if you are holding it when it happens, you will minimally mangle your hand(s) if not your face as well.

I have a UPS tracking number. The new strut left Durham, NC this afternoon.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:26 PM

I think that settles it for me. the S type R (non electric dampening) shockare from Bilstein are green in front, black in back. (check my parts numbers from previous post) Im guessing you paid full pop for your SM kit, vs the "on sale" price of $999.00

To me it seems pretty likely that Strutmasters went with cheaper shocks to lower the price. So my hybrid build will pretty much get me what you have Torrid..for about the same price. I can live with that.

Their customer reps have told different people different things about shocks. recently they told a forum member they used "custom" monroe units... eech.
I'd have to check since it's been awhile. I think I paid $1250.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member

I will dissasemble My SM kit (which is like yours Lagonia) and take side by side pics with the Bilstein units I have coming (by next week). We will solve the "which brand shocks does Strutmasters use" mystery once and for all.
Looking forward to your analysis! Be careful when you disassemble them. Chain the spring to something solid while disassembling it in case it decides to go. Note you have to have the right tools for this. Loading and unloading automotive springs, done incorrectly, will kill you.

Quick Reply: 2004 XJR - Source of clunk appears to be the Arnott's Air shocks