XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2004 XJR vs XJ8?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2004 XJR vs XJ8?

Hello all. I was on the xk forum a couple weeks ago and was real interested in purchasing a 2001-2003 xk. After test driving a few with my girl friend we decided the xk is not all that practical. Its just to small, cant carry anything in the trunk or back seat so now we have turned our focus to an x350.

Is there a really big difference on the reliability of the 04 xjr vs the xj8? How about maint. wise? I would think that the xjr would be substantially more to maintain but I don't really know. I came across an 04 xjr with 44,000 miles on it that I might be going to take a look at. Anything I should look out for?

Thanks everyone!

Old 08-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Shox , bushings , control arms, air pump, supercharger <= look for these if you r getting the XJR , they are basically same cars actually, XJR has different brake rotors and pads also equipped with a supercharger

Old 08-03-2010, 03:30 AM
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by scubayachts
Hello all. I was on the xk forum a couple weeks ago and was real interested in purchasing a 2001-2003 xk. After test driving a few with my girl friend we decided the xk is not all that practical. Its just to small, cant carry anything in the trunk or back seat so now we have turned our focus to an x350.

Is there a really big difference on the reliability of the 04 xjr vs the xj8? How about maint. wise? I would think that the xjr would be substantially more to maintain but I don't really know. I came across an 04 xjr with 44,000 miles on it that I might be going to take a look at. Anything I should look out for?

Thanks everyone!
From my understanding, the basic components of the cars aren't much different, only the supercharger n coolers (and hence some plumbing) and some calibration differences n brakes, so if it's between the two, I'd go for the XJR. Of course you can expect the R to have been driven harder than a normal XJ8 (so wear and tear may be higher), but then, R owners (generalising here) would probably be more avid enthusiasts, so would hopefully also look after their cars better (so wear and tear may be lower... which one is a more important factor would depend on the previous owners). I can tell you that I much prefer the R to my wife's 350CLS, which I previously thought was great until I got my R. It's a big fun car (maybe a bit too big for the small roads that we have here...)

Old 08-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

They have the simular maintenance but more components to break. There is additional hosing for the cooling, intercooler, heat exchanger, cooling pump, an extra belt for the supercharger, larger brakes, stiffer suspension and about 90 more horses Well worth it if you like speed. I agree with klfong, you need room to truely appriciate these cars, but still fun light to light.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

I test drove an XJR a few months ago. It nice to drive, but pretty much useless in Los Angeles traffic all day. So I went with the XJ8L and saved on new brakes!

Old 08-03-2010, 02:47 PM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

When I selected my car a few years ago I knew the XJR would be easier to get sold when I was ready to trade. So thats what I went with.

The car has been reasonably reliable with no issues exclusive to the XJR vs XJ8.

However, there are some trade offs you have to be aware of:

1. 19" wheels are more subject to curb rash and a careless driver can absolutely trash a $500 wheel with low profile tires in a heart beat..
2. Low profile tires, such as found on the XJRS, make more noise, ride a bit harsher and are more expensive. You will be glad you got em in the twisties.
3. The firm seats in XJRs are just that, firm. You will be glad you got em when you are hanging out on the edge.
4.The combo of firm seats, low profile tires and firm suspension will exact a price after an 8 hr plus drive. A big price if you are over 50/60 years of age.

All that being said, I'm still blown away buy the look of the XJR with its short body and agressive stance but probably it's my last R.

Last edited by user 2029223; 08-03-2010 at 05:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Get the XJR you will be so much more happy with it. I wish i got the XJR when i got my 2005

Old 02-13-2011, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJ v. XJR

Here are some of my experiences and thoughts on this choice:
  1. XJR definitely more power to the wheels but also a great speeding ticket attractor.
  2. XJR stiffer ride ergo less confortable for the long hauls of interstate drives.
  3. XJR inevitable attracts Beemers or Audies that want to prove to themselves that their investments were worth it.
  4. XJ almost as much fun as XJR but without the constant whine of the super charger, which over time started to get on my nerves.
  5. The State in which one mostly drives probably has an impact on the decision as well. More components for a drive train also means more can go wrong in smog testing and Ca is pretty picky in this regard.
  6. If I get the proverbial bug up the a## and feel the need for speed I just hit that little "S" button and floor that puppy..........what a kick in the pants!
My 10 cents worth.

My ride is a 2004 XJ8 White/Tan/VanDen Plas with all the bells and whistles.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2005 XJR and never did regret my choice, very nice ride and what about power, just great. I have had the car for over 2 years now and no major problems with the car except a brembo caliper that had to be changed (on extended waranty).

Old 02-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Ironically, by most accounts, the aluminum bodies X350 is better handling than the steel framed <2006 XK.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Cougar
  1. XJR definitely more power to the wheels but also a great speeding ticket attractor.
  2. XJR stiffer ride ergo less confortable for the long hauls of interstate drives.
  3. XJR inevitable attracts Beemers or Audies that want to prove to themselves that their investments were worth it.
  4. XJ almost as much fun as XJR but without the constant whine of the super charger, which over time started to get on my nerves.
  5. The State in which one mostly drives probably has an impact on the decision as well. More components for a drive train also means more can go wrong in smog testing and Ca is pretty picky in this regard.
  6. If I get the proverbial bug up the a## and feel the need for speed I just hit that little "S" button and floor that puppy..........what a kick in the pants!
My 10 cents worth.

You forgot to mention that the XJR has much more significant side bolsters which many drivers can find uncomfortable!

Old 02-15-2011, 02:13 AM

My 10 cents worth.

And are you a real cougar? if you are, how old? and interested having a boy-toy? because I could definitely use a cougar with a white vanden plas.

LOL.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jagmaster,

No such luck for you.....
  1. I am 60 and I am an old ugly basterd
  2. When I said "my ride" I should have said "my Lady friend's ride", which I bought for her as a New Years day present
  3. She is a special person that deserves` the best:
  4. My forum name "Cougar" is just another form of "mountain Lion" or "Florida Panther" or "Puma"
  5. When I do get to drive it, it is only to get it smogged or fill up the fuel tank
  6. Now I am screwed because I promised never to use the "S" button.....

Old 02-16-2011, 09:12 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Go with the "R" and maybe it will be too fast for her and not want to drive it..lol

Old 02-17-2011, 12:20 AM
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Looking at the parts situation over here (may not be relevant in the USA), everytime something goes wrong with my car, the parts need to be specially ordered in as a significant portion of mundane things (like some hoses, radiator, supercharger components, shock absorbers and various seals/gaskets. The parts situation for the normal car appears to be less problematic, so this may be a consideration.... be prepared for the car to be laid up while waiting for parts.... but when it's running, you forgive all the parts issues...:-) The R is a great car... when it's running....

Old 02-18-2011, 03:25 AM

Jagmaster,

No such luck for you.....
  1. I am 60 and I am an old ugly basterd
  2. When I said "my ride" I should have said "my Lady friend's ride", which I bought for her as a New Years day present
  3. She is a special person that deserves` the best:
  4. My forum name "Cougar" is just another form of "mountain Lion" or "Florida Panther" or "Puma"
  5. When I do get to drive it, it is only to get it smogged or fill up the fuel tank
  6. Now I am screwed because I promised never to use the "S" button.....
awe man , maybe you can hook me up with a 40 year old rich cougar perhaps?