XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2004xj8 transmission-Transmission Fault

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2024, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2004xj8 transmission-Transmission Fault

I play softball and I was down in Florida playing in a tournament and when I got in my car to start it to go the hotel I got a "Transmission Fault" code. I thought it was low on fluid. Could not find a dip stick so I called the shop back in Louisville who have worked on it. They told me I did not have one. I'm an Architect and the only thing I know about cars is they have 4 wheels on the ground and one up front on the driver side and a few peddles on the floor. I was 100 miles from where I was staying, I had no option but drive it back to the hotel. When I got there I stopped at a transmission shop they were to business to ck code so I went down the street and got it read. They said it was "transmission control module". They could not get one for a week. I was planning on going back home to Louisville the next day. Took it back to transmission shop, they kept it over night, they told me I needed a new transmission. They tried for three days to find parts. They then told me the "fault" went away and they could not make it come back on. They told me that I had a 90% chance of making it to Louisville, Ky, 1,000 miles. Made it home, no problem drove it for about three weeks before the fault came back on. Took it to the shop that had worked on it, ABS problem. They told me "Transmission Control Module" but they could not find one and the fault had gone off. I drove it 4-6 weeks without a problem and the came back on. I now have the part but the transmission shop I took it to cannot program it. I have been looking on lime and if I bought the right part it might not need to be programed???? I have been trying too also find the software and to buy it if I can. PS I have driven it for a week or more both times with the fault still on a it drives just fine, normal. Does not make any noise when it comes or when I drive it with the fault light on.

ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE ANY IDEAS????????????

Old 05-28-2024, 05:32 AM
Received 125 Likes on 90 Posts

You need to supply some details...Miles on Car? Ever had anyone do a Transmission Fluid Change?

With the risk of being too technical - its exhibiting the classic Transmission Electrical Connection Sleeve seal bad, where trans oil gets on connectors and causes intermittent faults.

With limited knowledge - I suggest - have someone you know and trust do a Transmission fluid change, which includes the pan (which has integrated filter). While this is being done, have them replace the Transmission Electrical Connector sleeve (simple $30 dollar part) and make sure they clean oil off pins/sockets.

Details are in this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...s-thru-199974/

Old 05-28-2024, 11:27 AM
Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

These transmissions are very difficult to diagnose but here is what I have learned from personal experience and 8 years on this forum:

1. If your ZF 6HP has over 100k miles and is exhibiting various intermittent faults it probably needs a full rebuild to make it work perfectly.
2. Replacing the TCM in these cars REQUIRES OEM Jaguar software (or equivalent -- which I've never heard of yet) to match the TCM to the ECM. A TCM from a donor car will not work at all until this is done.
3. Its NEVER the TCM. -- Or more properly stated: I have never heard of a clear cut case of a TCM going bad on these cars. Lots of codes include "TCM" in the description of the fault, but that's because the TCM is REPORTING it not causing it.

Assuming you don't have the stomach for a $4000 full rebuild, and your transmission has the correct fluid level and it works fine, just drive it. When you get a "gearbox fault" it can usually be cleared by turning the key on and off twice. Or just ignore the warning. IMO, spending money on anything other than a full rebuild is a waste.

Good Luck!
Jeff

The following users liked this post:
Thermite (07-06-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 761 Likes on 637 Posts

I suggest that you have it scanned for codes and post them on this forum.

I believe that you can have it scanned FOC in the US eg RockAuto

Old 07-06-2024, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004xj8 transmission

THANK YOU THANK YOU ----- I did what you recommended and it looks like it work and saved me $4,000 for a new transmission
Wes