XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2005 VDP with Suspension Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 11:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2005 VDP with Suspension Conversion

About 2 weeks into ownership of a 2005 VDP – I can share the full story, but it was a 1-owner full dealer history and no expense spared apparently, just one tiny thing – the rear suspension had completely gone.

I got it for an appropriate price (stole it would be closer to the truth) and after extensive research and speaking with the Motorcars place here – got the suspension conversion done – basically flatbed straight from the dealer to the shop

You can see pics in my profile of the after - although I will confess I am not in a position to do an “apples to apples” comparison – my wife has a Mercedes with Air Suspension, and IMHO it compares very favorably – very happy with the ride and I am told it is just as good in the back, in fact my wife/son prefer riding back there.

FYI – they gave me the old front air shocks back – on my request – plan to put them on ebay to make the cost of the job even cheaper.

Any questions, feel free to ask, if anyone would like any specific pictures, let me know and I will see what I can do, and post an album.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,644 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Welcome to the forum, neighbor! Very sweet-looking VDP. At first glance, I'd struck the X350 series from consideration of future purchase precisely because of the air suspension. Then I stumbled upon the Motorcars ltd. conversion, so I let it back in. Very interested to hear how you like it as you put more time/miles in it. Particularly how does the car compare overall to your X300? Suspension and otherwise.

I fully expect another 3-5 years out of my X300 - but 114k now and collecting about 100 mi/day, doubt it will last forever. Currently under consideration as replacements would be X308 with all the engine-fixes, (But I don't really care for the dash-layout) or the X350 if available at a deep enough discount to accomplish the suspension change when indicated. I think failure of the air-system is a matter of when not if.

Anyway, nice car, love the color, would 2nd your notion of a mesh grille - the one you have makes it look a bit X-type-ish from the front. Make sure you make an introduction on the new members area if you haven't already and boost that post-count above 10.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:30 PM

Thank you for the Welcome - Yes - I have done my Intro

Funnily enough I am planning a trip to Decatur, mainly because I may need help on my XK8, but it is also an excuse to come and try Sweetie Pies Ribeyes.

Thank you for the compliments, I am very pleased, I was *exactly* where you were on the X350, with the Air Suspension you are spot on I think with when not if - at the end of the day, rubber plus Texas Heat, you cannot change physics - over the past year, have spent $2500 changing the front suspension on my wifes Benz.

Overall the X350 feels much more "Solid" - for want of a better term - than the X300, the ride is smoother - and I had the front shocks on the X300 done a few months back, and it is much quicker off the mark.

I love my X300 because IMHO its the last Jag that almost anyone can work on - it bemuses me that they got it 100% right just in time to put a new engine in. With the fun I have had with the XK8, before I put it in Storage and recommissioning it right now - It is why I skipped over the X308 and went straight to the X350 - if you are waiting a few years then I would consider doing the same and as you say budget in the cost of the conversion.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,644 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by txbrit
Thank you for the Welcome - Yes - I have done my Intro

Funnily enough I am planning a trip to Decatur, mainly because I may need help on my XK8, but it is also an excuse to come and try Sweetie Pies Ribeyes.
Going to see Bob, I trust? Haven't tried Sweetie Pies, yet. Spending most of my local bought-food $$ at Dos Chilis Grande and Casa Torres. Let me know how it is...

Thanks for the response. Smoother than X300, hmmm? and without straying into "mushy?" I just recently had Motorcarman replace dampers all around with KYB's(My upper bushes were shot and the clanking was bothersome) and he cautioned me they'd be stiffer than OEM, but probably ok since we did all four. I'm happy with the ride, but smoother would be ok - but don't care to stray back into "Mushy" of the Lincoln-Mercury line.
Right now, I have a concept of the X300 replacement a number of years down the road as an X350 Super V-8 or VDP w/Supercharger. Don't need the SC, but seems like it would be neat, don't really need the increased cost of tires and brakes associated therewith, still.....I WOULD prefer the LWB, even while recognizing the X350 std is about the same WB as an X300 LWB.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:12 PM

If you like the KYB on the x300 (I have the same) you won't be unhappy with the x350 with Conversion - its definitely *not* Lincoln Town Car Mushy - X300 ride but better is the best I can describe - as well as smoother and good through the Bends - I have done 400 miles now, and just as happy from when I picked it up.

Super 8 or Portfolio would have been my preference, but this came up and the price was too good to say no, esp as it was a VDP and very well looked after - the previous owner even kept up with the $350 a corner Pirelli P Zero's.

If you drive with 3/4 up regularly I would definitely go with the LWB - as I said my wife and son now prefer sitting in the back! although with the latter it could be b/c of the DVD System....

Old 08-21-2012, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Shocks

Hi, are you selling the front air shocks?

Old 08-21-2012, 02:40 PM

I am - and have not gotten around to posting on Ebay yet, so feel free to PM Me...

David.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:15 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

txbrit, which conversion shocks did you end up using? Do you have a link?

thanks!

Old 08-22-2012, 01:51 AM

Matt,

I had the motorcars ltd kit, supplied and installed by their Dallas shop.

XJ8 Air Suspension Conversion Kits

I didn't consider the Arnott one TBH. Still very pleased with it.

The pics in my garage album show the car right after completion. I see you are in Ft. Worth, I am sure we could arrange a meeting if you wanted to check it out 'in person' so to speak. Just PM me.

David.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front shock sale

Thanks for the quick reply, what would you take for the front shocks?