XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2005 VDP : What Kind of Fasteners(4)Needed for Rear Bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 01:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2005 VDP : What Kind of Fasteners(4)Needed for Rear Bumper?

Hi all,

Recently, I discovered the rear bumper is missing four fasteners that secure it to the frame(no flapping sound, but it can't be right). I was wondering if anyone would know what kind of fasteners(all the same kind or different and if metal or plastic?) are needed? My photos don't show the entire bumper, but there are four holes for fasteners. It wouldn't leave the factory like this, would it? Someone put their hand with a camera in the photo. lol.

A blurry view of the bumper lip with hole for attachment to frame

1 of 2 round hole on bumper lip

1 of 2 SQUARE holes on bumper lip

Thank you for your help.

Old 06-28-2020, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 760 Likes on 636 Posts

Wot no replies?

They should be this type of push pin style

:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-10mm-...QAAOSwr05dwAuz

but they have to be the right size.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:44 PM

Meirion1 - Hi. I suspected that these were possible solutions, and in fact, I have a few push-pin types that I used to secure the radiator cover. Unfortunately, they're a bit too large in diameter...so I'll hunt down the right size. Thank you - greatly appreciate your reply.

Old 06-29-2020, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,415 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Well you have several choices?

Here is the drawing from JEPC;

So pick 9,5 or 7.

5-Spring Nut - XR844419. Says it takes 2 per car.
7-Self Tapping Screw - C2P3479. Says it takes 2 per car.
9-Blind Rivet - C2S9354. Says it takes 2 per car.

I "think" it's #7 which should be a plastic push pin or rivet but they call it a self tapping screw?
But looking again maybe #9 would be better?

Oh and thank you very much for the pictures!
Can't tell you how many people try to describe something when a picture would really do the job!

Old 06-29-2020, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Well you have several choices?

Here is the drawing from JEPC;

So pick 9,5 or 7.

5-Spring Nut - XR844419. Says it takes 2 per car.
7-Self Tapping Screw - C2P3479. Says it takes 2 per car.
9-Blind Rivet - C2S9354. Says it takes 2 per car.

I "think" it's #7 which should be a plastic push pin or rivet but they call it a self tapping screw?
But looking again maybe #9 would be better?

Oh and thank you very much for the pictures!
Can't tell you how many people try to describe something when a picture would really do the job!
It's amazing how convoluted finding the right part can be, since there are many different bumpers and attachment holes/points.
The diagram you provided is great, but it doesn't show FOUR linearly arranged along the lower bumper line, the fasteners. But it does show that #9 is correct.
Unfortunately, I didn't know which to pick, #7 or #9 and I called Harper Jaguar in Knoxville, TN, who has been supplying me with some parts(good prices). The parts expert, Logan Field sent me this diagram which he said specifies four of the #10 fasteners. The part number is C2S9354 020....OR...as your diagram showed, C2S9354.

Thanks for your help, as well. I understand that I could have found something on eBay, too, though who knows if the quality is the same?

Thank you for your diagram and help!

Old 06-30-2020, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for solving the mystery! Actually looking at the 2 diagrams I think they show the same 3 fasteners?
My #5 is your #8
My #7 is your #9
My #9 is your #10

Plus thanks posting back about it. It's a little thing but I try to replace missing hardware when I find it.
Maybe help with squeaks and rattles too?

Old 06-30-2020, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Thanks for solving the mystery! Actually looking at the 2 diagrams I think they show the same 3 fasteners?
My #5 is your #8
My #7 is your #9
My #9 is your #10

Plus thanks posting back about it. It's a little thing but I try to replace missing hardware when I find it.
Maybe help with squeaks and rattles too?
I only wish these would help with the major rattling that I've not yet tackled(it's overdue for tackling, I know). But I did notice that adding some missing fasteners to the radiator cover that extends the width of the engine compartment, fasteners added to the rearmost(nearest the firewall) engine cover did add some quiet to the experience. Also, it's good to check to see if the center engine cover has been screw in place by the four fasteners(mine was not, discovering later after purchase).

And finally, to note...that part number has changed from the shorter number to a longer number and in the online catalog, fitment is noted as not matching my 2005 VDP. TAKE NOTE anyone....these online catalogs are third party creations and the information is not gospel, so always ask the parts department people for verification.

It's all fun, when it works. :-)

Old 07-08-2020, 10:05 AM
Default UPDATE / CHANGE on part and fitment

Originally Posted by PhilBR
I only wish these would help with the major rattling that I've not yet tackled(it's overdue for tackling, I know). But I did notice that adding some missing fasteners to the radiator cover that extends the width of the engine compartment, fasteners added to the rearmost(nearest the firewall) engine cover did add some quiet to the experience. Also, it's good to check to see if the center engine cover has been screw in place by the four fasteners(mine was not, discovering later after purchase).

And finally, to note...that part number has changed from the shorter number to a longer number and in the online catalog, fitment is noted as not matching my 2005 VDP. TAKE NOTE anyone....these online catalogs are third party creations and the information is not gospel, so always ask the parts department people for verification.
It's all fun, when it works. :-)
Hello again - Well, I just discovered, after receiving these #10 fasteners that I ordered are too small to secure the bumper.
So...though I have thought of using black zip ties(tacky solution), I'll try the other fasteners in the bumper diagram..

Clubairth1 - I may have to order the others in the diagram.

I really appreciate this forum; it's so helpful and interesting.

Phil

Oh well! :-)

Last edited by PhilBR; 07-08-2020 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member

Well Phil I have found the same thing. The diagram are pretty cryptic to figure out.
So post back if you do find the right one.
You never know when you might need it!