XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2005 XJ8L Air Suspension Fault

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 01:58 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2005 XJ8L Air Suspension Fault

Hi All,
I just bought a 2005 XJ8L knowing the suspension would need to be redone sooner than later. My question: am I hurting anything driving the car with the "air suspension fault" on until I can get to the situation.
Also, in reading the forum posts I am leaning heavily toward replacing the suspension with a conversion kit and would appreciate any comments from those who have done that.
Thank you.
Frank
2005 XJ8L and 2003 XKR Coupe

Old 05-23-2014, 12:31 PM
Received 88 Likes on 45 Posts

Hi, does the car sit on air? Not sunk to the bump stops? Don't drive if its on its bump stops, if you can, give us a description of the suspension symptoms, to see if we can help, and or, get the fault codes read it could be a simple fix, i fixed one jag this week for free no parts needed, it had a tiny leak on the airstrut fitting but the owner spent hundreds on parts wth still the same symptoms afterwards, trimmed the pipe refitted it and leak stopped!!

regards

andy

The following 5 users liked this post by Bagpipingandy:
CzechFrank (06-17-2014), Don B (05-23-2014), jedster (06-21-2014), JimC64 (05-23-2014), lcmjaguar (06-13-2014)
Old 05-23-2014, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

You're good to go with Andy on the case.....

Hope to hear.

The following 2 users liked this post by JimC64:
CzechFrank (05-24-2014), nhammers (12-30-2016)
Old 05-24-2014, 08:24 AM

Thanks Andy,
I am guessing the front end is now stuck on yhe bump stops - sitting real low like she should be in a ZZ Top video. This is post a flat tire Thurday and I parked her after putting the spare on a getting home. Before this, when I parked I could hear air leaking/escaping from the front right. Often, and especially on colder mornings, after about a half mile the "air suspension fault" warning would come on - sometime it would sort itself out as it warmed up and you could physically feel the car lift in the front, other time I'd park and shut her off and go do an errand and on returning it was back to normal. I hope that gives more of a description to work with Andy and I will work on getting the fault codes next week.
When I bought the car about 3 weeks ago, the seller did tell me that she would not lift on cold days. Thank you for you advice.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:00 AM
Received 13,103 Likes on 6,529 Posts

Originally Posted by CzechFrank
Thanks Andy,
I am guessing the front end is now stuck on yhe bump stops - sitting real low like she should be in a ZZ Top video. This is post a flat tire Thurday and I parked her after putting the spare on a getting home. Before this, when I parked I could hear air leaking/escaping from the front right. Often, and especially on colder mornings, after about a half mile the "air suspension fault" warning would come on - sometime it would sort itself out as it warmed up and you could physically feel the car lift in the front, other time I'd park and shut her off and go do an errand and on returning it was back to normal. I hope that gives more of a description to work with Andy and I will work on getting the fault codes next week.
When I bought the car about 3 weeks ago, the seller did tell me that she would not lift on cold days. Thank you for you advice.
Hi CzechFrank,

We still have a lot to learn about the various malfunctions of the X350 air suspension, but from your symptoms, it sounds as though it would be well worth a little investigation before commiting to a full suspension replacement. I and many others have had very similar symptoms, so don't give up hope!

You can often identify the source of an air leak by wetting a component with soapy water (a spray bottle is handy). For example, in your case you could start the car and let the air compressor run until it stops (about 2 minutes). Turn off the engine and wait 30-45 seconds for the compressor to cool. Repeat this process three or four times, always allowing the compressor to cool. The Air Suspension Fault warning may come on, but you need to get some pressure in the system so you can check for air leaks. Since you've heard air leaking from the front right air shock, you would want to disconnect the electrical connector on the top of the air shock and put a piece of tape over the hole in the brass pressure valve to prevent water from getting into the electrical connector. Then use your spray bottle filled with soapy water to slightly wet the areas around the pressure valve and the air hose brass fitting. Bubbles indicate an air leak. Be sure to dry all the water off and reconnect the electrical connetor when you're done with your tests.

As Andy has reported, some of the common air leaks can be solved by simply trimming the end of the hose and installing a new "olive," or compression ring. Others have found that replacing the O-rings on the air hose and pressure valve of a leaking air spring/shock absorber/damper has sealed leaks. See the thread below for some relevant information:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...km-fpm-115111/

Since your car is approaching a decade in age, it is very likely that the compressor is no longer charging the system a fast as it did when new, due to a worn piston ring. Replacing the piston ring in the compressor is easy, using the replacement ring that Andy manufactures himself (bagpipingandy.com). Below are links to photos showing how I did it. You don't have to replace the desiccant in the air dryer as I did, and if you just replace the piston ring the entire job can be done in an hour or two:

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

Deal with your leak(s) first, then you can decide if replacing the compressor piston ring may help improve system charging.

Cheers,

Don

The following 3 users liked this post by Don B:
abonano (05-24-2014), AD2014 (05-26-2014), CzechFrank (05-25-2014)
Old 05-25-2014, 02:10 PM

Thanks Andy,

it sounds like a leak ok, if you try ignition off and on a few times each time the compressor times out to see if it will lift eventually, the only other comment is, if it was ok before you changed the spare wheel, perhaps the level sensor has been dislodged. I'm confident it is just a leak but best to be thorough

source and repair the leak and then a compressor kit to get it lifting fast again

www.bagpipingandy.com

regards

Andy

The following 3 users liked this post by Bagpipingandy:
AD2014 (06-22-2014), CzechFrank (05-25-2014), Don B (05-25-2014)
Old 05-25-2014, 11:24 PM

Thank you Don and Andy, I'll try your suggestions and post results.
On a happier note, Jennifer (my wife) and I got to take the XKR out to the mountains this weekend :-) I'll put a couple of snaps in my photos.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:10 PM

So I spend nearly an hour on it - start engine run for 2 mins, turn off, wait 50 seconds start again etc. It did not lift I'm afraid. Noticed that I could hear what I thought to be the compressor, when starting I would see "Vehicle too low" warning and just as the compressor seemed to quit there would be a click and then the "air suspension fault" warning would come on as well - if that gives any more of a clue.
Thanks for your advice and patience guys. I'll post additional developments.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:41 AM

So I spend nearly an hour on it - start engine run for 2 mins, turn off, wait 50 seconds start again etc. It did not lift I'm afraid. Noticed that I could hear what I thought to be the compressor, when starting I would see "Vehicle too low" warning and just as the compressor seemed to quit there would be a click and then the "air suspension fault" warning would come on as well - if that gives any more of a clue.
Thanks for your advice and patience guys. I'll post additional developments.
Hi CzechFrank,

One possibility is that the exhaust valve in the air compressor has corroded from moisture in the air and is now stuck open or partially open, preventing the compressor from pressurizing the system. If this is the case, you may be able to hear air escaping from near the compressor, which is mounted behind the front bumper at the front left corner of the car. The compressor should start running shortly after the engine is started, and should run for about 2 minutes. The compressor is mounted to the car with rubber isolation mounts that reduce noise and vibration, so to hear it you may need to hold your ear close to the front left bumper or just ahead of the left front wheel.

Let us know if you can hear the compressor run and shut off, and if you also hear air leaking.

Cheers,

Don

The following 4 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (05-28-2014), Bagpipingandy (05-27-2014), CzechFrank (06-14-2014), EssOess (06-20-2015)
Old 05-27-2014, 03:21 PM

hi Czechfrank, the front low is possibly a leak, and maybe a large one preventing the car lifting again, also we need to know if the compressor is physically running, the click suggests the relay is activating but is the compressor working? if it works i would expect very slight movement in height, unless hence it may be a large hole in a strut, we've seen a few blown appart recently on this forum.

so remove wheel and visually inspect airstruts on front.

confirm if the compressor actually works, it should start and stop with the click you hear

regards

andy

The following 3 users liked this post by Bagpipingandy:
AD2014 (05-28-2014), CzechFrank (06-14-2014), lcmjaguar (05-27-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 08:27 AM

Thank you again Andy and Don, I will get a chance to look again over the weekend and keep you posted. I really appreciate all your advice.

Frank

Old 05-31-2014, 12:03 PM

Hi Andy and Don,
Got my car flat-towed to my friends house and on a lift, diagnosis: Compressor is running fine, and when we attached shop compressor with some more clout we got the front end up ok, pulled back the boot on from right air shock and can clearly see large hole in the bladder, also notice some moisture in air system which answers why car does not lift in cold weather.
So looks like a new shock for the front right, which is around $500 in parts and pay my friend for his time... but then three schocks left and will go when? Given we use Mag/Chloride on our roads in winter here in Colorado, the air bladders will go sooner than later... I am really leaning toward the conversion for $1,200 and one time in my friends bay and his time, be done with it... however am open to your suggestions still, and if you do recommend the conversion which kit do you recommend the most?
Thanks both of you Andy and Don for your advice and encouragement.

Frank

Old 05-31-2014, 07:39 PM

Frank,

Let us know what you decide.

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
CzechFrank (06-17-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 07:30 PM

Hi Andy and Don,

Sorry it's been a while. So what I decided was to order these:

Jaguar XJ8 Air Suspension Conversion Kits & Parts (0410JAGXJ8CV) | Americanairsuspension.com

$1230 including shipping and am well chuffed: Bilstein Shocks and Eibac Springs...good stuff. My friend did the install and reported that it went very easily and by the instructions. I have not yet test driven, but will report after I do - I need to pick up and get to alignment and a couple of fresh tires, then she'll be in great shape!

I'll keep you posted. We have 3 usable air shocks and a 4th parts with compressor and misc. p[arts we'll put on eBay soon.

marbuch (05-23-2015)
Old 06-13-2014, 09:56 PM
jedster (06-21-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 10:50 PM
Received 189 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Aire suspension fault

I too have the same car and last week, after sitting for two weeks, the air ride gave up the ghost after driving about ten Minutes. In days before, after sitting for a couple of weeks, it would rise on start up and deliver normal handling.
SUNDAY: This time it would not and after checking things out after turning the key on, I at last heard a pleeeeeeeeeeet of air from the left rear and the car would go flat.
TUESDAY: Called Arnott (Arnottinc.com)--(no affiliation) and talked to a tech rep and he said, more or less, that he felt the upper o rings had dried out, became brittle and failed.
I ordered the reman comfort air shock. It arrived today (2 Days) and it took me an hour and a half to replace. The longest part was removing the trunk liner and replacing it.
Took it for a test hop and all is well, in fact, I think the car even now rides much better. Could have had a failure coming on for awhile.
Now a happy camper
Chuck

CzechFrank (06-14-2014)
Old 06-17-2014, 08:04 AM

Update for Andy and Don,

first drive with the new suspension - yes it is stiffer than air-ride and I'm totally okay with that and especially in the knowledge that this is a more permanent solution to a problem that will continue to plague anyone with air-shocks in a state that use mag-chloride on the roads in winter, which will eat that rubber. I am pleased.

The car is at the tire shop to get 2 new tires and an alignment after the work, and I should have her back as a daily runner by the weekend...just in time to polish up my XKR that I've been using for the Rocky Mountain Jaguar Club Concours this Saturday...

Thanks for all your input guys, it really helprd and I'll write observations when I've got more mileage with the new set-up.

The following 2 users liked this post by CzechFrank:
AD2014 (06-22-2014), Don B (06-17-2014)
Old 06-21-2014, 08:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very helpful thread for this Boston driver of another 2005 XJ8L!

Since moving from Southern California to New England, I have learned a lot about air suspension:

1. Road salt (MgCl) eats the rubber, leading to leaks
2. Freezing cold temperatures affect the air suspension
3. You can't fill the wiper fluid with a hose any more!

Cheers!

CzechFrank (06-22-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 12:39 PM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Update for Andy and Don,

first drive with the new suspension - yes it is stiffer than air-ride and I'm totally okay with that and especially in the knowledge that this is a more permanent solution to a problem that will continue to plague anyone with air-shocks in a state that use mag-chloride on the roads in winter, which will eat that rubber. I am pleased.

The car is at the tire shop to get 2 new tires and an alignment after the work, and I should have her back as a daily runner by the weekend...just in time to polish up my XKR that I've been using for the Rocky Mountain Jaguar Club Concours this Saturday...

Thanks for all your input guys, it really helprd and I'll write observations when I've got more mileage with the new set-up.
I am wondering if after you installed the conversion it cleared all faults from the message center? In addition, are there any problems with the headlights being at the correct height? Sorry if I sound silly but I have read so much about suspension problems and solutions, I want to make sure what to expect if I have my mechanic do the conversion also.

CzechFrank (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 10:47 PM

The kit I bought, referenced earlier in the thread, had instructions to go behind the rear seat and disconnect some wires, which we did and that cleared out the codes - it did not just happen automatically.
I have not noticed the headlights being off, but that is a fairly easy adjustment - big honking adjustment screws (plastic) on the back of the headlight.
The only difference is the car rides stiffer with Bilstein shocks and Eibac springs - that is racing quality gear. I am well pleased because I know it is a more permanent solution, and more cost effective.
There's no silly questions, only silly answers - I hope mine helped.
Cheers.

olypen123 (07-22-2014)

Quick Reply: 2005 XJ8L Air Suspension Fault