XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2005 XJ8L Air Suspension Fault

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 12:53 PM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

After sitting overnight, the car has the same measurements as when I parked it. In addition, I measured from the top of the wheel arch (at the thin black trim) to the tire and this measurement was 2" at each tire. So I am assuming this points away from a leaking shock and to the compressor? What about a sensor or does the code eliminate that as a possibility? Most likely our next step will be relacing the seal on the compressor. Once again, thanks for the help!

Last edited by olypen123; 07-26-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:51 PM
Xag
Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts

Since you confirmed the car doesn't sag the suspension is okay. Ask your mechanic to repair the compressor with a kit from Andy. This video might help him.

Guus

The following 4 users liked this post by Xag:
abonano (07-27-2014), AD2014 (07-26-2014), Bagpipingandy (03-28-2016), olypen123 (07-26-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 03:08 PM
Received 13,033 Likes on 6,508 Posts

Originally Posted by Xag
Since you confirmed the car doesn't sag the suspension is okay. Ask your mechanic to repair the compressor with a kit from Andy.

And here are some links to photos that are specific to the Jaguar X350. Note that most folks don't replace the desiccant beads as I did, but your mechanic should disconnect the air dryer so he can access the check valve to clean any corrosion and gunk and ensure the valve is closing properly. I would also recommend that he open the exhaust valve and clean it and ensure it is moving freely if he's comfortable with that:

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

Cheers,

Don

The following 3 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (07-26-2014), olypen123 (07-26-2014), XJRay (11-12-2019)
Old 07-26-2014, 04:48 PM

I will let you know what happens.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:39 AM
Xag

Please do, we're always interested in the solution.

This shouldn't be to much of a problem!

Guus

Old 07-27-2014, 10:12 AM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by olypen123
After sitting overnight, the car has the same measurements as when I parked it. In addition, I measured from the top of the wheel arch (at the thin black trim) to the tire and this measurement was 2" at each tire. So I am assuming this points away from a leaking shock and to the compressor? What about a sensor or does the code eliminate that as a possibility? Most likely our next step will be relacing the seal on the compressor. Once again, thanks for the help!
Once you get the Andy compressor miracle repair kit installed - this should solve your issues. If your ASF message continues to show up while driving (unlikely) the only thing I can think of is maybe one of the struts is leaking air under motion/load. But I agree with the consensus that the Andy kit will be the fix here - especially with your ride not losing height overnight.

Keep us apprised.

The following users liked this post:
olypen123 (07-28-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 07:09 PM

I wanted to report back on the status of my ASF problem. This morning I took the car to the mechanic to have him install the seal repair kit I purchased from Bagpipingandy via Ebay. On the way to the shop I got the ASF message. This past week I have been receiving the fault message regularly when I drive the car short distances. The mechanic changed the seal. I picked the car up and drove it for about 60 minutes. NO AIR SUSPENSION FAULT MESSAGE!! I am hopeful it is fixed but will report back again in a couple of weeks to update. The mechanic charged $98 to replace the seal and I spent $199 to replace the battery (which probably needed replaced anyway). I spent just under $50 for the kit. If I can get off this cheap, I will be estatic!! Thanks everyone for all the help!

Last edited by olypen123; 08-04-2014 at 07:12 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by olypen123:
abonano (08-04-2014), AD2014 (08-04-2014), Don B (08-04-2014), Xag (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 10:50 PM
Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts

Wow! I wish I had saw this before now! I just got my air suspension comp replaced today (spent $600 for a new 1 with lifetime warranty including labor) but this price still sounds much better; I was having the exact same symptoms as the OP. BUT, my did go down just a tad bit, & I could actually here "air" when the ASF came on; but I'm ok with knowing I have a brand new 1 with Lifetime warranty; hopefully your issue is resolved Olypen...

Old 08-08-2014, 10:03 PM

Today I drove the car approx. 170 miles. At the beginning of the trip about 2 miles out of town the ASF appeared once again. Ugh!! It remained on until I stopped for lunch. We were in the restuarant for about 1 hour. When I started the car again, the message was not there. After driving about 10 miles the ASF message reappeared and stayed on the entire way home--about 60 miles. Any ideas on what my next step should be?

Old 08-09-2014, 02:37 AM
Xag

It seems the kit wasn't enough to fix the compressor back to "as new" unfortunately. It usually does the trick but not always. The next step would be getting a new compressor installed.

But before spending money let's check a few things.

You only have the Air Suspension Fault, not the Vehicle To Low message?

After your car's been standing for the night and you open the drivers door, do you hear the suspension letting out air? This is a hissing sound.

Maybe you could do this little test next time you take the car somewhere. Start the car but before driving off let it idle for 2 minutes. Do you get the ASF message during the trip or not?

Guus

olypen123 (08-09-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 08:21 AM

I have never received the VEHICLE TOO LOW message. I will open the door this morning and see if I get a hissing sound. I will also do the "idle" test. I will post my findings. Thanks!

Old 08-09-2014, 08:38 AM

Hi Olpen; read my post right above yours.. I did hear the hissing, so I replaced my compressor. I been going since Tuesday, & Wed. I drove 400 miles to a vacation site; it feels good to be able to ride with NO light/fault popping up!..

olypen123 (08-09-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 09:28 AM

Hello, Marque! I am kind of at an impasse at this point. Please see the posting below from another recipient of the ASF message. Before buying and installing a new compressor, I am wondering if anything was improved with the compressors. If not, I am not so sure I want to spend the $$ to replace an item that, in my case, lasted only about 30,000 miles before starting to fail; and as can be seen in the below case, did not ultimately solve the ASF problem. I have some thinking to do this weekend. I do intend to follow the advice of Xag and report back to see what the general consensus is after hearing my results. I appreciate all the feedback!

Originally Posted by Daneel227
I too have a 2005 XJ8L. At 97,000 miles I started seeing the ASF message. Over the past year and a half, I've had a new air suspension compressor installed and replaced the left and right front struts (leaks). After the aforementioned repairs, the car rides fine, yet the ASF warning message still comes on intermittently. On more than one occasion I've left the car with the dealership multiple days and "no drop" discerned. I'm now at 99,993 miles (I've had the auto since 23,000 miles (early lease turn in)). I'm just about ready to give up and live with it unless the ride is impacted! Any ideas?

Last edited by olypen123; 08-09-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:53 PM

The car has sat overnight. I went out and opened the driver's door. There was no hissing.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:06 PM

The car has sat overnight. I went out and opened the driver's door. There was no hissing.
I only heard the 1 hiss right @the moment the ASF warning came on. I'd have to ride with the Windows down to hear it; I did see the other post as well, but for me, it's corrected mine; I certainly understand your position though...

Old 08-09-2014, 03:17 PM
Xag

Originally Posted by Marque
Hi Olpen; read my post right above yours.. I did hear the hissing, so I replaced my compressor. I been going since Tuesday, & Wed. I drove 400 miles to a vacation site; it feels good to be able to ride with NO light/fault popping up!..
I'm sorry to say but you're confusing cause and remedy. If your car vents air (hissing sound) in the morning it means that air has escaped from the suspension overnight. What the car then does is to let out air from the other shocks to level the car. This has nothing to do with the workings of the compressor except that it has to work more often and therefore will soon or late fail.

Since olypen123 doesn't seem to have air loss in the suspension it might be solves with replacing the compressor. The ASF message appears because the compressor doesn't pressurizes the system within the limit set by Jaguar. The idle test I described can be used to test if the compressor is still able to reach the required pressure so you won't get the ASF message. Let's see...

Guus

Old 08-09-2014, 04:51 PM

Today I drove the car approx. 170 miles. At the beginning of the trip about 2 miles out of town the ASF appeared once again. Ugh!!

Hi olypen123,

I'm sorry that you're still having this trouble. Here are a few thoughts:

1. When you mechanic replaced the piston ring/seal in your compressor, did he disconnect the air dryer and clean the check valve, and did he open the exhaust valve and check it for corrosion as I had recommended? I assume he would have checked the cylinder for excessive wear, but that is highly unlikely since the cylinder is aluminum and the piston ring is soft Teflon.

2. There are only a few things that can cause the compressor to underperform, and most of them can be addessed without the expense of a new unit: piston ring, check valve, exhaust valve and pressure relief valve. If the motor fails, the compressor won't run at all. If the piston rod/crankshaft bearing fails, the compressor will run, at least for a while, but it will be noisy. Assuming your compressor motor runs and isn't excessively noisy, it would be worth having the pressure from your compressor tested before you spend any more money on parts.

3. The ASF warning can appear if the vehicle is too high. If that is the case with your car, perhaps there is a malfunction with a solenoid in the valve block or the exhaust valve in the compressor.

Out of curiosity, when you park your car at night, is it on a relatively level surface or does it sit at an incline? It is normal for the system to exhaust some air while the car is sitting to attempt to make it more level if it is parked on an incline.

Cheers,

Don

Old 08-09-2014, 05:48 PM

I went out and started the car and let it idle for at least 2 minutes before I drove it. I then proceeded to drive about 10 miles and did not receive the ASF message. I am confused about opening the driver's door/hissing after it has sat overnight. After driving the car today, I parked the car and opened the door, I did not hear any hissing. Is that what you mean Xag? I also did not hear any hissing when I initially started the car, opened the door and listened. I will continue for the next few days to let the car idle 2 minutes before driving and report my findings.

Don B. I will contact the mechanic on Monday and discuss with him what procedures he performed. I asked the mechanic before if there was a way to test the compressor. He told me no. How would I go about having the compressor tested? The car is parked in my garage and it is a flat surface. What would be considered too high? When I was previously told to take the measurements of the car, the back end does sit slightly higher than the front. I mentioned this to the mechanic, but at the time he didn't feel it was problematic. Should the car have equal measurements front and back?

The only other variable I can pinpoint so far, and it may just be coincidence, is that I have not received the ASF message when driving solo. I drove to my mother's yesterday (about 2 miles out of town). No ASF message-- she got into the car and as we headed out, I received the message. She is the only passenger I have had in the car since replacing the seal.

Last edited by olypen123; 08-09-2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:39 PM

I am confused about opening the driver's door/hissing after it has sat overnight. After driving the car today, I parked the car and opened the door, I did not hear any hissing. Is that what you mean Xag? I also did not hear any hissing when I initially started the car, opened the door and listened.
Hi olypen123,

On our '04, when I shut off the engine and step out of the car, I will often hear a hiss of air from the compressor at the front left corner of the car. My understanding is that this is the correct, normal behavior. The ASCM is opening th exhaust valve to backflow dry system air through the desiccant beads in the air dryer to help flush some of the adsorbed moisture from the beads to partially reactivate them.

Also on our '04, when I use the remote key fob to unlock the doors, I will often hear a hiss of air from the compressor exhaust valve. This is normal operation. Whenever the ASCM detects luggage compartment, door or ignition activity, it activates Preliminary Mode, in which it prepares to adjust as luggage or passengers are loaded into the car. Lifting if necessary, is done from the reservoir only, until the engine is started, and during Preliminary Mode lowering corrections to vehicle level are permitted via the exhaust valve.

If your exhaust valve never hisses, the perhaps it is seized and is not opening when it is supposed to.

If you are willing to measure the height of your car at each wheel, from the floor to the inner top of each wheel arch, I’d be happy to do the same so we can compare the measurements to see if they provide a clue about your system’s behavior.

The only other variable I can pinpoint so far, and it may just be coincidence, is that I have not received the ASF message when driving solo. I drove to my mother's yesterday (about 2 miles out of town). No ASF message-- she got into the car and as we headed out, I received the message. She is the only passenger I have had in the car since replacing the seal.
It is possible that when your mother is seated, the suspension is attempting to re-level but something is going wrong in the process. It would be worth keeping track to see if your suspicion that the ASF only occurs when you have a passenger seems to be consistent.

Cheers,

Don

Old 08-10-2014, 01:45 AM
Xag

I went out and started the car and let it idle for at least 2 minutes before I drove it. I then proceeded to drive about 10 miles and did not receive the ASF message. I am confused about opening the driver's door/hissing after it has sat overnight. After driving the car today, I parked the car and opened the door, I did not hear any hissing. Is that what you mean Xag? I also did not hear any hissing when I initially started the car, opened the door and listened. I will continue for the next few days to let the car idle 2 minutes before driving and report my findings.
No, I was specifically interested if your car hissed in the morning. ;-)

Your car measures the height at each wheel and then either raises or lowers the car when needed. During the night when nothing is happening this system doesn't do anything because it's asleep. If your suspension would be leaking (loosing air from one of the shocks) opening the door in the morning is the trigger the car gets to get out of sleep mode. If, at that point, it notices the car is not level it will let out air to level the car.

What I'm trying to determine is if there's also something wrong with the suspension itself or not. This because you hinted at replacing it with coil overs if major things are wrong. It would be a shame to spend money on something that isn't a problem.

If you start the car and you listen at the left front fender you may hear the compressor starting after a short while (say 30 seconds). If you hear the compressor run wait for it to stop (2 minutes max) and you will hear the hiss I'm talking about. At that point the compressor is venting out any moisture in the system, this is normal behavior.

What happens when you wait a while before driving off is that you give the compressor a bit more time to fill the suspension thus avoiding the message.

Did she get in the car while it was running or not? If it was running, did you drive off straight away?

Guus

Quick Reply: 2005 XJ8L Air Suspension Fault