XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2006 Jaguar XJ8 Wiper Blade Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 09:15 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 2006 Jaguar XJ8 Wiper Blade Replacement?

Hello.

Two questions:

1 - Where do you get your Jaguar XJ wiper blade replacements? A lot of places claim to have blades that will work, but they don't have the spray nozzle for the wiper fluid.

2 - How do you get the blades to stay half up (i.e. rotate so that they stop in the middle of the window) so I can lift the arms to remove the blades?

Concerning #2 - I've tried turning the key until the electronics come on (and the engine is not one) and then pulling the wiper arm (on the steering wheel) toward me. According to a video I saw, this was supposed to make the wiper arms move about half way and stop. However, they go all the way and then back no matter what I do. So, how do I get them to stop about half way so I can lift the arms to remove the old blades.

Thanks for any help.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Bought mine at Rock Auto

Originally Posted by silversurfer1221
Hello.

Two questions:

1 - Where do you get your Jaguar XJ wiper blade replacements? A lot of places claim to have blades that will work, but they don't have the spray nozzle for the wiper fluid.

2 - How do you get the blades to stay half up (i.e. rotate so that they stop in the middle of the window) so I can lift the arms to remove the blades?

Concerning #2 - I've tried turning the key until the electronics come on (and the engine is not one) and then pulling the wiper arm (on the steering wheel) toward me. According to a video I saw, this was supposed to make the wiper arms move about half way and stop. However, they go all the way oat and then back no matter what I do. So, how do I get them to stop about half way so I can lift the arms to remove the old blades.

Thanks for any help.
They were Anco and cost 4.00 USD each. Reused the spray nozzles from the factory arms.
Fitting the hook at the end of the wiper arm took a little work and was maybe 20 minutes. Next time will be 5 minutes.
And left the wipers down. Just pulled up to work on.
Between removing old wipers, removing spray nozzles, fitting new wipers, and reinstalling spray nozzles in was an hour job. Next time it will be a 20 minute job.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Yes, you've found one of the design errors in these cars ! It is possible to replace the blades without them being half-way up the screen, but is it a bit of a fiddle. Here in the UK, I fitted some Bosch mono-blades that came complete with washer jets. I would think these are available in the US somewhere.

Jaguar XJ X350 2003 - 2007 : Bosch Aerotwin AR608S Flat Windscreen Wiper Blades.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 281 Posts

Just save yourself the headache and buy the OEM blades from Jaguar. They are only $20 each, probably one of the best bargains from the dealer. They work quite well for 2-3 years. Although better blades are out there, the OEM are very good for standard rubber. And they come with new washer jets and the aerodynamic wings.

Changing them doesn't require having the blades out of the park position. You just gently lift the arm and unclip the hook on the wiper arm. Don't try forcing the wiper arm up the window.

Fraser, thank you posting an aftermarket option--I didn't realize there were any that would actually fit our cars and work with the washer jets. I will have to look around and see if there are any US sources. Always nice to have another part option.

Last edited by mhamilton; 05-10-2016 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

+1 for Bosch Aerotwins. Cost me a few pence under 20 GBP for a set.

Being all plastic they are lighter than Jag replacements, which are metal. And they come with the jets fitted for LHD so you guys and gals don't even have to change them over (unlike us in UK, Oz, NZ etc)

Old 05-10-2016, 11:27 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I think I got the last set of blades (just the rubber blades) at O'Riley's. You have to ask at the counter, as they and other auto parts places would rather you buy complete holders with blades for more money, but they do stock just the generic rubber blades in the back in a variety of standard lengths. It's a simple matter to squeeze the splayed metal tab at one end, and slide the old rubber blade out, and slide the new rubber in. Takes all of 5 min to take care of both blades. And though it might be a bit easier if you could lift the wiper arms, but you'll realize it is not necessary in order to swap either the rubber blades or the blades and holders.

Should you wish to replace the blades and holders, you shouldn't need to worry about the washer nozzle. On my 04 XJ, the washer nozzle is part of the bracket that locks the holder to the arm, and you re-use the washer nozzle. What I found with replacement holders is they lack an air deflector that the holders came with off the factory floor. If you aren't concerned about the air deflector, then any of the auto parts places carry replacements that fit perfectly.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:35 AM
Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Trico 190
Trico 245

Slide old rubber blade out, slide new blade in.

No need to fuss with nozzles etc.

Thanks
Mag

Old 05-10-2016, 10:19 PM
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by magmedia
Trico 190
Trico 245

Slide old rubber blade out, slide new blade in.

No need to fuss with nozzles etc.

Thanks
Mag

That's exactly what I did. Change the rubber only.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:12 AM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 416 Posts

If you need a replacement blade, and the washer nozzle has broken, as mine were, Champion has complete blade replacements with spray nozzles.

CHAMPION AW60/B01 (AW60B01) Wiper Blade

The following users liked this post:
XJ8JR (05-11-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 05:17 PM
Received 100 Likes on 88 Posts

I purchased a pair of Jaguar OEM wiper blades for my 2005 Jaguar XJ8L about 16 months ago, and the rubber wiper insert on both blades started separating only after a year of use. It seems that they're using a poor adhesive to secure the rubber wiper insert to the blade.

In regards to the driver's side wiper blade, what I opted to do was simply align and reattach the rubber wiper insert to the blade with a measured application of Locktite. I must have done the job right as I haven't had an issue with it since.