XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2006 Porfolio totaled. Need help with value

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 05:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy 2006 Porfolio totaled. Need help with value

A "distracted driver" rear ended my immaculate 2006 XJ8 Portfolio last weekend. The damage was to both rear quarters, the trunk lid, floor, and the rear bumper. The adjuster from the other driver's insurance has declared that the car is totaled... and he has yet to determine a value for the car. I definitely won't be accepting his first offer, but can anyone shed any light on actual value and recent sales prices for this particular model. I want to be able to talk to him intelligently about the value of the car. Mine was perfect; perfect paint, recently refreshed air suspension, upgraded supercharger pulley, dealer painted color keyed 20" stock wheels, everything there but the original wool floor mats. If their offer is completely ridiculous, then I may bring my insurance into the picture and pay my deductible just to have someone in my side of the court. I'd much rather have it repaired, but it looks like I don't have a choice... although the other driver has taken full blame for the accident.

Attached Thumbnails 2006 Porfolio totaled. Need help with value-10285291_10203634592203615_5946339958891886364_o.jpg  
Old 05-12-2014, 05:30 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Oh no!

1st of all welcome to the forum. 2nd of all, that's terrible news, sorry to hear that.

That looks like a really big hit, even if it were to be repaired, I fear that car will never be the same.

I guess you are aware that the 2006 Super V8 Portfolio was a very rare limited edition (only 265x build worldwide, 145x delivered to the US) and it has a number of special parts & features that were not available on any other XJ's.

The value of those special parts to collectors makes it a valuable wreck...it's worth a hell of a lot more than a regular XJ, even with the rear end smashed in. Don't accept any book value offer, this was (is) a collectable car from a Jaguar enthusiasts point of view.

As for the value of the car before the accident, we have a number of '06 Portfolio owners here on the forum, maybe they cabn give you a guide, I did a quick search and I could not find a single one for sale in the US right now, which tells you something about how rare they are.

In my mind, insurance payouts should be enough that you can buy a replacement vehicle, but if there are none for sale, what then?

If it were me in your shoes whatever they offer i'd double it as a counter-offer, because that car is quite irreplaceable...

There is an X358 Super V8 Portfolio on ebay right now for $43K, so i'd start with that.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
AD2014 (05-13-2014), Don B (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 05:46 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Sorry for your loss...

That really is a shame, especially for a rare car like that.

Look online for comparable cars, and have print-outs ready to make your case.

I see a 2009 Portfolio (truecar.com) for $25,000 - but that one's got almost 100,000 miles on it. https://usedcars.truecar.com/cars/us...577/body-Sedan

there's two others - both newer-model Portfolios - for about $40,000 each.

Bottom line is you may not get back the value of the upgrades, or even the true value of the car, but you should be able to get pretty close.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:48 PM
Received 104 Likes on 58 Posts

Ditto Cambo's comments...

Its worth putting a case together for the rarity of the car (ie the limited numbers worldwide and in the US) so your ready to drop the information into the conversation as early as possible.

Im not sure its the same over there, but if its not your fault in the UK, despite paying the excess it gets recovered from the other party. Do you have legal cover as part of your insurance?

Old 05-12-2014, 05:55 PM

Thanks. Yes, I'm aware of the rarity. It took me two years to find the car that I bought, and I've owned it almost four years. As far as the unique bits; they are all there and are perfect. Rear seat has only been sat in about ten times since new. Wood and leather were just as a collectible car should be. I won't be able to find another one any time soon.. and I'm my stomach is knots just thinking about it. This was a trouble free car with everything maintained. Not a single thing on it had even the slightest issue. Had a suspension fault error two months ago, but it was a warrantied repair and they replaced everything up front from struts to pumps to all of the magical bits in between. It turned out to be a trunk seal around one tail light was letting water in and it had settled in to the spare tire compartment and shorted out a valve on the assembly back there. Yes, a $50 part that was in a $600 assembly... and I got a whole new suspension up front just because they tried that first. I've tried to find the low end prices by consulting NADA, but they border on insulting. As far as sale prices, well, these just don't come up for sale (Most likely because the current owners are as happy with them as I was with mine). I can't even imagine what this will do to the other driver's insurance rates.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is heart breaking to see. I also own a 2006 Super V8 Portfolio. I'm located in Fort Worth. It's my baby so I can understand how you feel. I drive it everywhere. I love driving this car. My 2009 XF doesn't compare to the Super V8 Portfolio. It's a special car. It's the chance we take, this could happen. I wish the best for you and your Super V8 Portfolio. Keep in touch. Matt

Old 05-12-2014, 06:21 PM
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I have one for sale right now (am licensed part time dealer). It has 84k miles and I am asking $48k for it. Just upgraded the sound system, iPod connector, backup cam, etc. Plus rebuilt the front end (new control arms, bushings and tie rod ends).

2006 Jaguar Super V8 Portfolio – low miles - Carbella Motors

Old 05-12-2014, 06:25 PM
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Also - if they do total it, which they probably will, I may be interested in buying it depending on miles. Always get two figures, one with them taking the car and one with you keeping the wreck. I am sure there are many many parts that would be highly prized by many people on this board.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:42 PM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

UGH! Frickin people! Hopefully it is repairable, I have no clue when it comes to aluminum unibody structures. Supposedly the "crash boxes" are bolt-on for easier repair Source: http://www.alueurope.eu/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/1_AAM_Body-structures.pdf an interesting read - start at page 11. But based on the parts diagrams the rear fenders look integral to the shell?!

Value will be tricky I'm sure. For reference I paid in the mid $30K's a year ago for a car with 42,000 miles on it . A) because I always wanted one and B) It was "almost" perfect (needed some minor paint correction, wheel refurbishment and control arm bushings).

Over the past year, at the rare times they are for sale, I've seen them advertised anywhere from $28-$42K.

I wish you the best of luck and I'm glad no one was seriously injured.

FYI: yes, the wool "Conker" floor mats are impossible to find.

Last edited by MarcB; 05-12-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 20,914 Likes on 8,411 Posts

Of course the other drivers insurance will "total" it, that's their easy way out.
If you can, find an independent appraiser and get their value on it.
Get costs on repairing it asap and fight, you do have a chance.
I was involved in an accident in late 1996, slow speed head-on where the other driver was at fault. My insurance company wanted to total it, but I said...NO!!!! and won. Got it fixed and drove it many more years.
Good luck and you do have lots of moral support here...

Old 05-12-2014, 09:21 PM
Received 12,952 Likes on 6,470 Posts

Hi Portfoliolio,

I'm also brokenhearted to hear about your gorgeous and highly-desirable Jag. You've received some good advice - we'll be anxious to hear how it goes.

Cheers,

Don

Old 05-13-2014, 05:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Portfolio,
Sorryfor your loss. I had my restored X308 SC also rear-ended in November samecircumstances. Roof buckled and both rear doors compressed. PM separately and Iwill walk you through what I did to get a good value for the car.

Al Perez
2008 X358 SuperV8
1994 XJS

Old 05-13-2014, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 20,914 Likes on 8,411 Posts

Oh, and take lots of pics in and around the car. Might use www.cars.com for hints on where to take the pics. You might need them to show how good the rest of the car is, not shabby as the other insurance people might want to portray it.
Good luck..

Old 05-15-2014, 04:43 PM

Al, I sent you a PM. Thanks! No update yet... the adjuster hasn't made any contact whatsoever since last Friday's phone call informing me that he planned to total the car.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:02 PM
Angry

Finally received my first offer today. It was a ridiculous $21,500! This was for a Portfolio that mechanically perfect and immaculate before the accident. I've rebutted it, but could really use some help from current and previous owners of the same vehicle, as well as others who might know of 2006 XJ8 Porfolios for sale.

If anyone who has purchased or sold one in the past two years could please make me aware of the purchase or sales price, either here on the forum or offline directly through my listed contact eMail, then I would greatly appreciate it. Anyone else who may know of a verified 2006 XJ8 Super V8 Portfolio that is currently available online, then please direct me towards the listing so that I can use it as evidence when I counter their offer.

Thanks in advance, Greg

Old 05-31-2014, 09:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about the accident - never any fun dealing with insurance companies.

FWIW - I just purchased my 2006 Portfolio (24k miles) this Spring - $40,750

The following users liked this post:
Cambo (06-01-2014)
Old 05-31-2014, 09:05 PM

Thank You!!

Old 06-01-2014, 12:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NP

I had been looking for one for a while.
In the past year, I've seen four for sale.
One in Marina Del Rey - 33K - many issues - not well maintained - rough.
One in Carlsbad Calif - 51K - nice but not perfect.
One in NY - 45k - not my color - but from the description - a nice car.
The one I bought...

Never saw one for listed for as low as $21,500 - Nowhere close - They don't come along all that often.

The following users liked this post:
Cambo (06-01-2014)
Old 06-01-2014, 01:37 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Welcome to the forum stroodle, nice to have another Portfolio owner on board.

Why not stop by our new members area & introduce yourself there too ==>> New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Old 06-01-2014, 09:24 AM
Thumbs up

I do appreciate all of the input here. Thank you to everyone for your continued support and most helpful responses. I do plan to introduce myself in the member introduction area, but I hope to reach some happy conclusion on my current situation first. No sense in posting, "Hi, I'm from Austin Texas and currently own a totaled 2006 XJ8 Super V8 Portfolio". That would be a bit of a downer.

The only way to beat the insurance company on this and get a decent settlement (and hope to get into another, similar vehicle) is to overwhelm them with information about past purchase prices and cars that are currently available for sale. Granted, it is difficult to stockpile information on a car that was produced in such limited numbers, and rarely changes hands, from such a loyal and dedicated group of owners. I would have never even considered selling my car, and I'm sure that is something that you all can relate to.

Keep that information coming! I really need it and do appreciate the time that you all take to read this thread and respond. Thanks, Greg

Quick Reply: 2006 Porfolio totaled. Need help with value