XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2006 Vanden plas 5051 Navigation screen black

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Vanden plas 5051 Navigation screen black

While preparing for a road-trip tomorrow, I decided to play with the navigation system and plot my course, since I never use it...it's usually driven locally by my wife....shoulda left it as is, but I only wanted to make life better! A Google/ YouTube search got me to crack into the menu and only AFTER I had selected the software update (seemed intuitive if I wanted newer info) on the perfectly-working screen, that it went blank, and THEN was I later warned by the attending guru NOT to do that....I take full responsibility for my temporary lack of good sense. My wife does not know this...yet. She thought I was a genius after fixing the TPMS error that plaqued us for months while I was waiting to put on new tires and trouble-shoot the whole system then (had already tried the usual recommendations I found on this wonderful site; a TPMS module replacement was required but only cost $30 on eBay). You've gotta like challenges if you own a jag, more so if you own two. I just can't understand why Jag would link critical systems controls like cabin temp/defrost/defogger/fan, etc to a screen that is non-essential like navigation. The screen is black and I can't tell that I'm making any changes to any of those controls when I toggle the fan, defrost, etc. I've tried the phone/menu button recommendation and removing the neg. battery cable rec. and still no fix. The defrost fan works but I am unable to change it, it seems to be on front defogger only. A plus is the CD player and radio work but unable to "see" the buttons to change the radio stations except for the mechanical scan button. I have the original map DVD, but nothing else. Although a member for a while, I've never had to actually post, I've always found good answers from previous posts. Any further suggestions on a fix would be greatly appreciated. Maybe a mistake, but I still plan on the road-trip tomorrow. Thanks in advance if I miss your replies for a day or two.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

I guess Jaguar felt it was OK to link anything to parts that they keep secret so users can't screw them up.

You'll need to reprogram the nav using a DVD with the right firmware - it's on this site if you look.

I know it as loading.kwi - some others have also pressed the option without first thinking or reading up on what it would do.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Have you tried ejecting the DVD and reinserting it? With the key in position one, is the nav disc whirling around or doing nothing?

Old 01-04-2019, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your reply, i've been out of communication for the last 2-3 days. I had already re-inserted the map disc that came with the car when I bought the car (used). It spins/makes a normal noise when inserted onto the player/module in the trunk. No luck after 15 minutes while driving. I also had downloaded the Loading.KWI file that I found on the forum but was unable to view the contents with Windows 10 but it's about 7 mb in size which sounds right from the description. I copied it to a disc (DVD-R) but I am unsure if it is just a copied file or was actually "burned" to disc since I am unable to view the files it contains and was not given a choice to "finalize" the disc upon completion of putting it on the disc (as others have warned). It may require a special program for viewing .KWI files do so? or I may need to try copying the file again? Anyway, I inserted the disc containing the Loading.KWI file as I have described and also no luck. My understanding (from another source) is that by selecting "software download" on the console navigation "secret" menu, first any firmware that was present was erased in anticipation of loading new files and if the map DVD player/module is defective, the console screen will not be able to communicate with the player/module in the trunk and therefore, cannot read any files. So, I either have a hardware problem (player/module) or a software file that is not working for whatever reason. I would like to confirm that I have a proper Loading.KWI file and try it before I resort to shopping for a replacement player /module mounted in the trunk. Any helpful thoughts?