XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2006 XJ8 “L version” vs base?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2024, 03:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool 2006 XJ8 “L version” vs base?

2006 Jaguar XJ8 L, 4.2L v8, 41k. mi., $7,999

Hello ‘Enthusiasts All’!
I’m narrowing down my list. For now, I’m moving away from the ‘86-‘87 xj6’s I was interested in.
From what I read, The ‘L’ version has benefits not found in base models, it elongates the rear of the car 5”, adding space in the rear seating area.
‘L’ is supposed to have more features over the base model.
Ride said to be superior?
The extra 5” shouldn’t affect driving, change any parts, etc!

I’m honing in on an xj6 (x300) ‘95-‘97, under 60k mi., under $10k WOD $.
O R
CURRENTLY VETTING: listed here at top… 2006 Jaguar XJ8 L, 4.2L v8, 41k. mi., $7,999(2003-2009, xj8, x308? [X350?]
I Started finding x300 & x308 w/40-50k miles for years above. Of course, many more with 80k - 260,000 miles.

Thnx,
Cino61

Last edited by Cino61; 07-06-2024 at 03:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
eliotb (07-08-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 03:38 PM
Received 179 Likes on 134 Posts

Hi Cino61,
As an owner of a 2008 long wheelbase car, I think there are many advantages to the extra length, and no real disadvantages.
The L cars are more likely to be high specification, which means a Sovereign or Vanden Plas. Possible enhancements include rear air conditioning (4-zone), rear entertainment (sometimes with headrest screens), heated and adjustable rear seats, business trays, side rear window blinds, and satellite radio. The extra leg room is great, and the rear passenger opposite the driver can adjust the seat in front of them to give more room.
The extra length also offsets the higher roof line, and improves the shape. The short car can look a bit plump from some angles, but the extra length helps give better proportions.
One disadvantage I can think of is that you need a 6m or (20 foot) parking space in your garage as the car is 5.3m (17.5 feet) long.
I hope this helps you choose!

Pete M

Cino61 (07-06-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 06:44 PM

Hi Pete:
thnx for the reply. You did help me sort things out a bit. But, I still have to hear back from a few sellers. Ppl r selling cars, someone inquires & nothing?
Consenus seems to ezly favor the xj8-L. I personally wouldn’t think that until researching more. One reason I’m looking at the L is a site I happened to had more L than SWB, & the L had some good prices & low miles– ‘06, 41k mi., $8k (dealer states that’s the no haggle, no extra fees price, WOD. I do get concerned over the litany of repairs that MAY be needed. But, I’m trying to let a couple of the cars ‘come to me’ at this point.
The L is only 5” longer AND .3” higher. (I think I read an owner review that mentioned “lots of wind shear at high speeds cos of its height.” Yet, others say ultra quiet.). The L does have MANY extras, but the one I’m looking at ‘no picnic tables’.
Buying used, color can be a struggle. This one is ‘Gray’… hmmm, not even Silver? But, I’ll have to wait or go w/it cos it meets my other criteria of year, model, miles, condition, price. (a few others: 2007 xj8-L 26k mi., $16k, 2006 xj8-base 39k mi., $16k, 2008 xj8 base, 54k mi., $8,500.)
Still waiting on how many owners & maintenance records. The one I’m pursuing is in between these others @ ‘06, xj8-L 42k mi., $7,999)

Thnx again. I’ll update when I know something new.
Cino61

Old 07-06-2024, 07:36 PM
Received 8,222 Likes on 4,958 Posts

The one thing to notice is that there is NO first MY X350 LWB, SWB only, even VDP. (2004MY North America, 2003MY in other countries)
Same as 1995MY X300.(NO LWB first MY, SWB only) My buddy has a 1995 VDP SWB.

My guess is that Jaguar just wanted to get the cars out to market and worried about the LWB later?

I have two LWB X308s and one SWB X308 and really can't tell the difference driving.

I drove new X350s when I worked at the dealer and never really noticed any difference.

Old 07-06-2024, 09:21 PM
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Here is a 2006 brochure that will show you all the details for each trim level. You will see the XJ8 and XJ8L do not have very many differences. Hope this helps

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Jaguar-XJ-2006-USA.pdf (1.20 MB, 34 views)
Cino61 (07-07-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 09:56 PM

Awesome thnx.

Old 07-06-2024, 10:03 PM

Well, that one of the ‘things’ isn’t it? We are talking FIVE INCHES. Having never driven a LWB, I keep thinking “how does a few inches matter?”
it’s also sorta interesting, in general, LWB seem driven less & lower in price.

thnx for reply.
Cino61

Old 07-06-2024, 10:19 PM

Impressive brochure. Esp. the ‘safety program’, how different types of safety match up for different impacts.
thnx again.

Old 07-06-2024, 10:31 PM
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

If you ever purchase a Jaguar, and are looking for a window sticker for it. Email WindowStickers100@aol.com. Does great work.

Old 07-07-2024, 05:20 AM
Received 200 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Cino61
Well, that one of the ‘things’ isn’t it? We are talking FIVE INCHES. Having never driven a LWB, I keep thinking “how does a few inches matter?”
it’s also sorta interesting, in general, LWB seem driven less & lower in price.

thnx for reply.
Cino61
Those few inches REALLY matter if you have the need to convey full-sized adults in the rear seats - most especially if the passengers are aged and/or otherwise mobility impaired as to easily getting in or out, and/or have 'balance' issues that make high-riding vans & SUV's with their substantial cornering body-roll more stressful to the passengers.

Not many sedans offer the wide ('long' actually) doors for ease of access as well as generous footwell space, and low roll center. Not-even 'luxury' models.

Downside is that Tee-intersections and similar right-angle intersections want more care than shorter wheelbase motorcars need. An XJ8-L is not as easily manuevered in and out of carpark slots where there are narrow aisle widths, either.

I have not, and would not, want a(ny) long-wheelbase motorcar if driving Old Europe .. or the UK. But ancient city roads aren't really a factor in the US.

"Northern PA", East, West, or Central.. I'm fifty years out of date "mostly", despite "Northside" Pittsburgh origin, and family in SW PA 'till recently.

But PA has always had worse roads than ANY of the states that border it, even dirt-poor West BY GOD Virginia, so plan on a suspension refresh of the air struts (my choice.. Chinese ones, were affordable and work well..) ELSE a conversion to coilovers.

Either way, the 'fewer miles driven' on used "L" models in the market may indicate it was a second or third vehicle, as mine is 'usually'. (EG: When the unfortunate downgrade from the right-decent 4.2 V8 to the L320's obnoxiously less reliable 5.0 GDI V8 'hand grenade' is actually in RUNNING order..)

"Gray"??.. Go LOOK. Not as 'drab' as it might sound. Next door neighbour's Toy-Oder 4 Runner is a nice charcoal gray metallic. Until one looks 20 feet away, and my X350 in Jaguar's elegant "Mica Slate Metallic" just puts it in the shade!

As to road manners "at speed'?

- On Interstates and similar dual-carriage motorways, the longer WB reduces "freeway hop" where such even still exists. Seriously comfortable long-legged range with low driving or passenger stress.

- On twisty 2-lane backtop - 'standard issue' Northern PA - the LWB must be 'kept in mind' but seldom affects cornering and usually just smooths rough pavement better than shorter WB vehicles do. Wintertime performance is really decent for a RWD-only with IRS. No match for a DeDion rear, such as an Alfa 75/Milano, but "decent", black ice or deep snow.

Bottom line? It is 'mostly' about the comfortable and useful rear seats and doors. Not just for people. Right handy for groceries and other goods too tall for the boot as well.

If as/when I have the need for "shorter"? It has not been, and will not be, a Jaguar at all.

The SWB L320 Range Rover - with a higher seating position, better all-around visibility, and tighter turning radius - all easily as important as wheelbase length - is far easier to manage for that.

Last edited by Thermite; 07-07-2024 at 06:41 AM.
Cino61 (07-07-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 05:28 AM
Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

I've had an X300L, a 350 VDP and now a 308 VDP. The only real driving difference is that the turning radius is a bit wider. Personally, I'd love to get back into a 350/358 (better seats the last two years) as my first 350 was totaled by a tree. They sit a tad higher than the 300/308 body and for those of us of a certain age become easier to enter and exit. It doesn't hurt that the 4.2L/6-speed with the lighter body produces better mileage. I once got 32.3 mpg or so on a 600 mile trip without the AC on. Routinely had 27-29 on the road with AC.

good luck with your search. There is or was a 60k-mile black on black LWB for sale on, I think, Facebook Marketplace in the Falls Church Va area. OOOPS, it was probably Craig’s List and it appears to have been snapped up already. If It didn't look like a livery service car I'd just write a check for it.

Good luck.

Last edited by eliotb; 07-07-2024 at 06:10 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by eliotb:
Cino61 (07-07-2024), Thermite (07-07-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by eliotb
I once got 32.3 mpg or so on a 600 mile trip without the AC on. Routinely had 27-29 on the road with AC.
Bethel park PA start, to South Bend, Indiana, WITH A/C on .. all five seats full and full load of luggage, the trip computer saying 71 MPH average for 31 MPG. Continental "Pure Contact" @ close to the upper-end of their inflation rating.

But that's pretty much dead FLAT interstate @ a skosh over 80 MPH when on it.

More "telling" is Sterling, Va to Bethel Park, PA via Rt 7, 9, old 40... 88.. basically as much on "2-lane blacktop" as practical.

Damn the MPG. Fun ride, fast, too, and no "highway hypnosis" that can put yah to SLEEP on interstates when forced to run those at less than 100 MPH.

Cino61 (07-07-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Thermite
Those few inches REALLY matter if you have the need to convey full-sized adults in the rear seats - most especially if the passengers are aged and/or otherwise mobility impaired as to easily getting in or out, and/or have 'balance' issues that make high-riding vans & SUV's with their substantial cornering body-roll more stressful to the passengers.

Not many sedans offer the wide ('long' actually) doors for ease of access as well as generous footwell space, and low roll center. Not-even 'luxury' models.

Downside is that Tee-intersections and similar right-angle intersections want more care than shorter wheelbase motorcars need. An XJ8-L is not as easily manuevered in and out of carpark slots where there are narrow aisle widths, either.

I have not, and would not, want a(ny) long-wheelbase motorcar if driving Old Europe .. or the UK. But ancient city roads aren't really a factor in the US.

"Northern PA", East, West, or Central.. I'm fifty years out of date "mostly", despite "Northside" Pittsburgh origin, and family in SW PA 'till recently.

But PA has always had worse roads than ANY of the states that border it, even dirt-poor West BY GOD Virginia, so plan on a suspension refresh of the air struts (my choice.. Chinese ones, were affordable and work well..) ELSE a conversion to coilovers.

Either way, the 'fewer miles driven' on used "L" models in the market may indicate it was a second or third vehicle, as mine is 'usually'. (EG: When the unfortunate downgrade from the right-decent 4.2 V8 to the L320's obnoxiously less reliable 5.0 GDI V8 'hand grenade' is actually in RUNNING order..)

"Gray"??.. Go LOOK. Not as 'drab' as it might sound. Next door neighbour's Toy-Oder 4 Runner is a nice charcoal gray metallic. Until one looks 20 feet away, and my X350 in Jaguar's elegant "Mica Slate Metallic" just puts it in the shade!

- On Interstates and similar dual-carriage motorways, the longer WB reduces "freeway hop" where such even still exists. Seriously comfortable long-legged range with low driving or passenger stress.

- On twisty 2-lane backtop - 'standard issue' Northern PA - the LWB must be 'kept in mind' but seldom affects cornering and usually just smooths rough pavement better than shorter WB vehicles do. Wintertime performance is really decent for a RWD-only with IRS. No match for a DeDion rear, such as an Alfa 75/Milano, but "decent", black ice or deep snow.

Bottom line? It is 'mostly' about the comfortable and useful rear seats and doors. Not just for people. Right handy for groceries and other goods too tall for the boot as well.

If as/when I have the need for "shorter"? It has not been, and will not be, a Jaguar at all.

The SWB L320 Range Rover - with a higher seating position, better all-around visibility, and tighter turning radius - all easily as important as wheelbase length - is far easier to manage for that.
helluva post! Great, articulate overview, real-use situations, etc. I spent plenty of days on North Side (Downtown Pittsburgh) watching Pirates & Steelers games. (Not sure if FORBES FIELD was North Side?). Oh, definitely roads in PA are tough. Esp. In Philly. I’ve spent my entire life “in the corners of PA.” PGH., ERIE, PHILLY, ‘NEPA’ (more rural just outside Vestal, NY. Vestal has real nice roads.). Philly the worst roads. And often driving quickly, ez to miss seeing a pot hole. Next thing you know, entire front end of a Toyota Celica breaks from a monster hole on upper Lombard St., close to 76. Always bad road area there. I learned stop buying Toyota’s in Philly. Mine crumbled under the ‘streets of Philadelphia.’
My ‘86 xj6 (68k mi.) held up to Philly. Latter days xj6 taking me from Roxborough to Old City (25 mi. R/t daily).
I hear ya on the LWB. Before I did NOT want one (overall, read somewhat negative posts). But NOW, I DO want one!
(I DO LOVE the turning radius of the ‘04 xk8 conv. (60k mi.). You always know you can spin a u-turn & high tail it out many situations w/firm, smooth speed and gripping suspension.)

Sounds like I’ll be using an LWB Jaguar as a ‘Medicare ambulatory vehicle’! Tho, I’m still looking. Sellers slow replying.
Re: miles, this would be car #3. Need a backup for the xk8. Not many miles driven. (I almost force myself to drive out of town for concerts… Philly, NYC, NY inner ‘burbs, Brooklyn, NJ shore, Ithaca, Jim Thorpe PA, Syracuse, Selingsgrove PA, Glenside, Albany, Tarrytown NY, New Hope…)
’Freeway Hop’? … you mean like changing lanes? Harder for Ives’s to cut in front of LWB, etc.? Did NOT cross my mind!
Adults I know are ‘full regular sized’’, If not, NO riding in the LWB.
The lower miles I get to as I throw out higher miles. I was ok w/80k mi. Now, I see other good deals out there 42k mi., at nice prices, <$10k. But, prices are on the firm side from a couple years back. Just have to parse the problems of Jag years into what is needed/wanted. I don’t really go to these extremes (esp. time spent researching) looking at any other vehicle but Jaguar. My first bought spur of the moment, so I didn’t have time to ‘think’. The xj6 was a great daily driver… until PA salt roads (overall assumption) claimed her frame. Will be selling for parts if ‘new jag’ parts don’t mesh. I was strictly looking at ‘86-‘87 xj6.

thnx again for thoughtful post!
Cino61

Old 07-07-2024, 10:22 AM

Is the 350 the ‘newer models’? What I’d call ‘new style jag’, tends to be no leaper, has that ‘big sedan’ look?
I prob. saw that black on black LWB, but wasn’t interested then. I still want mileage under 50k, if anyone t all possible. The 30k mi. just a bit more than I want to spend, @ $16k-$17k. I realize ‘maintenance & records’, but 40-50% of sellers don’t have any or just the last couple years. So, I opt for less miles. I’ve seen a couple ‘04-‘07 xj8, 4.2L with just 15k mi.!
I had, have? my eye on a ‘97 xj6, 40k mi., 1 owner (now estate) $9,999… some scuff marks on bumpers. Then, heard nothing back re: ‘repairs’.

thnx,
Cino61

Last edited by Cino61; 07-07-2024 at 10:25 AM. Reason: want to move to under replier post
Old 07-07-2024, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Thermite

Is the 350 the ‘newer models’? What I’d call ‘new style jag’, tends to be no leaper, has that ‘big sedan’ look?
I prob. saw that black on black LWB, but wasn’t interested then. I still want mileage under 50k, if anyone t all possible. The 30k mi. just a bit more than I want to spend, @ $16k-$17k. I realize ‘maintenance & records’, but 40-50% of sellers don’t have any or just the last couple years. So, I opt for less miles. I’ve seen a couple ‘04-‘07 xj8, 4.2L with just 15k mi.!
I had, have? my eye on a ‘97 xj6, 40k mi., 1 owner (now estate) $9,999… some scuff marks on bumpers. Then, heard nothing back re: ‘repairs’.

thnx,
Cino61

Old 07-07-2024, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Cino61

thnx,

Cino61
Worth reading-up on the progression from steel-body/chassis X308 to Aluminum body/chassis X350 and subsequent:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...3ASearch&ns0=1

You don't want a(ny) of the older 'steel' bodied Jaguar - or any OTHER brand - as "daily driver" Not in the "apex predator" of corrosive coal dust, slag, uber salt-belt PA least of all!

Check Wikipedia or such as well on "all aluminium" autos in general (Volvo, each of several German makers..) - and which ones worked well ..... or not..

The successor, modern "Indo-Chinese" era ownership, X351 and newer, are the "no longer classical Jaguar style".

As those are now very close lookalikes to many common South Korean or Japanese cars, only the folks who OWN the 'new look' Jaguars even know they have a Jaguar! Bystanders seldom notice the difference.

So I'd guess they are less-often marked for theft? Or perhaps the Korean ones are MORE attractive off the back of better reliability?

Last edited by Thermite; 07-07-2024 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-08-2024, 05:25 AM
Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

@cino61 ... that 60k mile black/black 2009 LWB was still available last night and the price was down to $12.5. I doublecheked and it is FB Marketplace in Falls Church, Va. I have nothing to do with that listing other than were it a different color I'd write a check for it and sell my '03 VDP.

Old 07-08-2024, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by eliotb
@cino61 ... that 60k mile black/black 2009 LWB was still available last night and the price was down to $12.5. I doublecheked and it is FB Marketplace in Falls Church, Va. I have nothing to do with that listing other than were it a different color I'd write a check for it and sell my '03 VDP.
The VDP has a full four years in your care next month, startng at just under 30 K miles? Unless you have one Helluva commute, those 4 years, might be tempted to buy it.

All it usta take to "de-wimpify" a VDP was larger wheels with stiffer tires @ higher pressure?

Old 07-08-2024, 02:11 PM
Received 205 Likes on 144 Posts

There's no link in your original posting, but if the 2006 with 41k you are referring to is silver with a tan interior I'd stay away. I've seen that car listed (for months now by the way) and its definitely been repainted poorly, most likely due to being hit and not reported to insurance (if it has a clean CarFax). This one -
Facebook Post

To your original point, I own a 2006 L but drove a few regular wheelbase cars before buying mine. I love my car and its great for long highway trips, but I did prefer the way the short wheelbase car drove, a bit more sporty and doesn't feel as large. I know 5" is not much, but I could certainly tell the difference. Unless you absolutely need the extra room I wouldn't turn down a nice short wheelbase car even if you'd prefer an L.

Old 07-08-2024, 03:12 PM
Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts

I have a 2007 XJ8 L, and it's not equipped with anything "special."

I don't have rear air conditioning beyond the regular vents; there is no separate coil at the rear seats, or their own fan or temperature control.

I don't have adaptive cruise, just basic hold-the-speed. Adaptive cruise might be nice on two-lane highways where you can't always get by someone, but I despise adaptive cruise on the freeway.

I don't have rain-sensing wipers, as far as I can tell, just basic adjustable intermittent settings available.

I don't have power reclining rear seats.

I don't even have the color touchscreen that's comes with the satnav option.

What I'm getting at is that the L doesn't necessarily mean better equipped, it's just the longer wheelbase.

Quick Reply: 2006 XJ8 “L version” vs base?