XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2006 XJ8 “L version” vs base?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2024, 03:26 PM
Received 199 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by wfooshee
I have a 2007 XJ8 L, and it's not equipped with anything "special."

I don't have rear air conditioning beyond the regular vents; there is no separate coil at the rear seats, or their own fan or temperature control.

I don't have adaptive cruise, just basic hold-the-speed. Adaptive cruise might be nice on two-lane highways where you can't always get by someone, but I despise adaptive cruise on the freeway.

I don't have rain-sensing wipers, as far as I can tell, just basic adjustable intermittent settings available.

I don't have power reclining rear seats.

I don't even have the color touchscreen that's comes with the satnav option.

What I'm getting at is that the L doesn't necessarily mean better equipped, it's just the longer wheelbase.

True - My 2006 L is a "base" also. It has the touch screen radio upgrade, but that's about it. Not even a CD changer. Glad it doesn't have the trays, tvs, etc. Not sure why you'd even want that in a car like this, especially when it's aged nearly 20 years now.

The following users liked this post:
Thermite (07-08-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 08:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 87LC2
True - My 2006 L is a "base" also. It has the touch screen radio upgrade, but that's about it. Not even a CD changer. Glad it doesn't have the trays, tvs, etc. Not sure why you'd even want that in a car like this, especially when it's aged nearly 20 years now.
I was looking at 1986-7 series 3 XJ6s, found a good one, but it was $24K. Then I looked into XJ8s, bought a 2006 VDP, black on black, 80,000 miles. Very nice but the Zenon headlight bulbs failed, that is a real chore to replace, especially if a new transformer is required, which the one on the right needed. Rusted under tray clips etc compound the difficulty. But, got the job done, car inspected, took it to the car wash, which shorted the new transformer. Fortunately the bulbs etc are shared with Chrysler 300s, they aren't expensive, under $50 delivered. But again, a PITA to replace. For now I'm just driving as is, I don't drive at night anyway. But I can't turn the lights off, so something else is going on. Oh, and it will occasionally overheat, though it doesn't lose fluid, possibly a thermostat or fan issue. I'm not pushing the issue, I have other cars to drive, and it's too hot to mess with cars, even in New Hampshire.

87LC2 (07-09-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 09:16 AM
Received 199 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Threeducs33
I was looking at 1986-7 series 3 XJ6s, found a good one, but it was $24K. Then I looked into XJ8s, bought a 2006 VDP, black on black, 80,000 miles. Very nice but the Zenon headlight bulbs failed, that is a real chore to replace, especially if a new transformer is required, which the one on the right needed. Rusted under tray clips etc compound the difficulty. But, got the job done, car inspected, took it to the car wash, which shorted the new transformer. Fortunately the bulbs etc are shared with Chrysler 300s, they aren't expensive, under $50 delivered. But again, a PITA to replace. For now I'm just driving as is, I don't drive at night anyway. But I can't turn the lights off, so something else is going on. Oh, and it will occasionally overheat, though it doesn't lose fluid, possibly a thermostat or fan issue. I'm not pushing the issue, I have other cars to drive, and it's too hot to mess with cars, even in New Hampshire.
Yes, I've been putting off some maintenance myself due to the heat. It's been 95+ down here near Philadelphia for nearly two weeks straight.

My car does have the xenon headlights. Not looking forward to when they fail, but it could be worse cost wise. My wife has a 2016 Buick Regal GS and those headlights are known to fog eventually and require complete replacement. Last I checked they are $1200 if you can even find one...I also recently bought a 2000 XKR with a foggy passenger side headlight. Finally found a decent one for around $400, makes the bulb replacement on the X350 seem quite reasonable.

My 06 has been very reliable over the 25k that I've owned it. These cars do require attention and maintenance, but if kept up on they are just fantastic. I've owned lots of cars and I think this X356 is my favorite of them all. There are faster cars, cars that handle better, and even more comfortable cars, but the X350 platform just does everything so well its hard to want more out of a reasonably priced 20 year old car.

Threeducs33 (07-11-2024)