XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2006 XJ8 vs 2006 BMW 530i

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 06:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 2006 XJ8 vs 2006 BMW 530i

I'll try to remain unbiased and helpful.

I drove an 04 XJ8 until last November. Now i drive an 06 Super V8. My wife is a long time BMW fan. Her current car is a 650ci. My previous Jaguar XJwas more reliable than her BMWs.

I have both ridden inand driven (for a couple of hours) 5 series (06 and 09). In comparison to my XJ's, the 5 seriesrear seat is cramped for me (I'm a bit over 6 ft tall). Not enough leg space nor headroom in the back. Driving position is very good. Sports seats are excellent, regular seats not nearly as good. iDrive is the devil's work. [sm=badbadbad.gif] The Jaguar touch screen interface is much easier to use. A lot does depend on how the cars are equipped. The options list for the Jaguar XJ8 is long, for the 5 series even longer. It can be hard to compare apples to apples. In fact, the XJ8 is more of a 7 series competitor than a 5 series. The Jaguar XF is more comparable to the 5 series.

Finally, the XJ ride is, I think, better. The 4.2 V8 is also better than the I6 to my mind, although the BMW I6 engines are the best 6 cylinder engines around. My wife's previous BMW had an I6. Handling is about the same, if the 5 does not have the sport package. If it does, then it will be the better "sport drive". But, the ride will be much poorer. The XJis both sporty in it's handling and yet has a wonderful ride. When you put my wife's sport package equiped 650 into sport mode, you feel every little bump and wiggle. Even with it off, the ride is not even close to my XJ. The 650 is, I believe, based at least loosely on the 5 series chassis. In the sport mode, it does corner impressively. Flat and stable, but you can feel the immense weight of the thing. The 5 series is lighter than the 6 by quite a bit. The XJ is several hundred pounds lighter than the 6. You can feel the difference when you throw them around a bit. Also, the 6 has run flats, so that makes the ride stiffer as well.

Both cars will be very expensive to own, unless you have warranty coverage of some sort. A brake job on my wifes car would run well over $1,000 (four sets of pads). Parts for both are expensive. Labor is very expensive. You need to accept that with any Europeanluxury car, whether its a BMW, Audi, MB, or Jaguar.

In the end, both are very good cars. BMW is sporty, Jaguar is luxury. That's sort of the oversimplified answer IMHO. Hope this helps. Good luck with the decision. Did I mention that the Jaguar's are much better looking than BMW's. Ooops. That was biased.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I think the XJ is def the better choice. This is coming from someone who has only owned 1 Jag but has been around the best BMWs his whole life. I actually am helping a friend sell his 535 right now, and have driven both current and past generation 5's (both 6 cyl and V8s) for weeks.

The XJ is more comparable to a 7 series in pretty much every way as Charlie said, except price for a similar year which is very different as Im sure you know. The 6 series is in fact based on the 5 series chassis Charlie. I do happen to love I-drive tho [8D]

Ownership costs to me seem like they would be cheaper on the XJ. Although, with either one Id want that full warranty!

I plan to replace my S type R with an XJ 06 or newer by summer and my 7 series with an 06 or newer A8, not that I disliked either car, had the 7 series since brand new just ready for other things

I hope this helps your decision!

Old 01-28-2009, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Unfortunately, you'll be stuck with going to dealer for many repairs. I live within 1/4 of Jag repair place and 1.5 miles from another... I can use them for brakes, oil changes, but computer based repairs- the dealer.

The Jag is not going to be as sporty as the BMW, but I think the road grip will be similar. The double wishbones all around on the Jag are only on a few cars made, and tires can be upgraded if you want more control and traction.

Jag has easy to use controls, and I would put it as being more reliable than a BMW. Looks wise, well Jag is a Jag and if you are planning to keep the car for 5-7 years, I do not think the BMW will age as gracefully. Look at how dated a '97 5 Series looks now. A '97 Jag is still classy looking.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had 6 BMWs (still have the las 2, A Z3 and a 328is) and the 06 xj8 is my first Jag. I have had the Jag for a couple of months now and I am still excited about it. I love the way it drives and it is so quiet inside.
A couple of weeks ago we drove from Fl to DC and started counting cars to kill time. 85 BMWs 86 MBs and 10 Jags. So if you like being different the Jag is for you. (I have seen it stated that you dont pass yourself all the time like you do with a MB or Bimmer)
These babies are computer heavy though and as a result lots of dealer only serviceable items.
Good luck with your decision! (its a tough one)
Chad

Old 01-28-2009, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: RL53CPA

Now Ijust have to find a way to find out if there is a goodindy Jag technician inDC metro area. many thanks.
Rich
I can recommend 2 places I used to go to when I had my XKR, it's been awhile so I am not sure if they are still in operation. The first is Topline Jaguar in Alexandria, supposedly they only touch Jaguars but I've seen them working on a RR when I was in the shop before. The second place is in Rockville and it's called Master Auto, Walter used to service my car when I used to live in Potomac and I've always received prompt and excellent service. I've had good experiences with both places so if you are in the immediate area you can certainly stop by and take a look.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A quick addendum. The great thing about the BMW community is there are lots of resources for you to troubleshoot and share ownership experiences. And as a former owner of a E39 M5, I really appreciated it.

Car vs. car I can tell you my XJR is every bit as nice. I am not going to say money is no object, but when owning these types of cars be prepared to lay down some $$ when things do go wrong. My XJR has the SE warranty, but just looking at brake rotor prices I know it'll be a steep car to maintain.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,916 Likes on 7,172 Posts

I don't have thelevel of experience with BMWs that the others do, although I've driven quite a few....and certainlyliked them.

Jaguars just have a certain personality, a je ne sais quoi, that the German carshave never been able to duplicate. For me, and many others, that's important. Touse an already overused cliché, Jaguars have a soul. German cars don't.

Chad's remarks about the uniqueness of Jags versus the much more commonplace BMWs and MBs are very apropos, IMHO.

Cheers and good luck

DD

Old 01-28-2009, 12:40 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I can say I feel head and shoulders above the crowd (not meant to sound snotty so please dont interpret it that way)in my Jag in a way that I have never felt in my Bimmers.
Of course I may be whistling a different tune in a year if some things go wrong with this car. we ll see!
Chad

Old 01-28-2009, 02:46 PM
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree. I'm one of those people that has to be different. I hardly see any XJ's around here but there is a BMW, Benz or Lexus at every Starbucks drive thru. This is my 3rd Jag and even for a die hard lover of them you sometimes wonder what the other guys have to offer. I've driven all of them. I have friends with them. I have to say... all of them are good cars and the performance is better than most of us even take advantage of. I bought an S430 thought it was ok but kinda bland visually and after 4 months traded it for a VDP at the dealer that screamed my name every time I passed it. For me it was what gets me the most bang for my buck considering its what I drive every day. No country roads, lots of traffic, and the occasional Valet wanting to park something nice and different at the front door. I'm learning to read lips and it's nice to see someone point and say "Jaguar" (usually preceeded by "Whooo").Though I would love a Super V8, my VDP is a great car and after having 2 others in the past, reliability isn't an issue for me.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,916 Likes on 7,172 Posts

I'm learning to read lips and it's nice to see someone point and say "Jaguar" (usually preceeded by "Whooo").

I see the same thing and I'll admit that I like it:-)

Cheers
DD

Old 01-28-2009, 04:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Valet parking your Jaguar is always fun. I've found that more times thannot, XJ's get parked close in. This past weekend I was in Newport Beach in Socal. Stayed at a very nice upscale hotel we usually frequesnt on visits down there. And, as usual, my Jaguar seemed to end up right by the front door. Interestingly, although I assume it was a very rare occurance, my Super V8 ended up right next to a VDP on Saturday afternoon. So much for exclusive, huh. I will also admit that my wife's BMW 650ci usually gets parked in front as well. Definitely won't happen with a 530, though. Do you suppose the attendants expect or receive bigger tips?