XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2006 XJ8L/VDP for long road trips

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,375 Likes on 1,488 Posts
Default RE: 2006 XJ8L/VDP for long road trips

I've driven 1,000 miles per day for 6 days at a time with no problem whatsoever. Very comfortable ride. S-class was just a bit better for a whole lot more money. Had an LS also, comfortable but too floaty and poor handling, IMHO.

Gas mileage on the Super 8 is about 25 MPG for me on long trips.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

AC is fairly simple and straightfoward, but works well. I think Jag did a good job of getting rid of excess buttons and such, yet offering what is needed in an easy classic layout.

No problems driving a long distance in mileage in the 20's. The rear sunshade helps.

Lexus is really vanilla and no matter how fancy your Merc is - park it next to the other Merc... Plus, they keep changing the style so much, they look dated in no time.

Other than Jag, I think the BMW 7 Series should be a consideration. I actually like the earlier heavily Bangle looks. Many blast him, but I think he really styled an exciting and unique line-up.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My previous Jaguar, an 04 XJ8, was a great trip car. Mileage in the high 20's, cruising range of around 500 miles (which i think is important), and very comfortable over a long distance. I'll agree that the 7er is worthy of consideration, but I fall on the Bangle sucks side of things there. Anyway, I took many trips with 4-500 miles per day driving and enjoyed the XJ8. Now I'm in a Super V8 and will take the first long trip in it this weekend. Expecting mid 20s for mileage based on a couple of 100 mile drives. I really do think XJs are a great touring car and plan on many more trips in a Jaguar.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:18 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Comfort on my 06 is nice for long trips.
Avg 29.5 mpg on last trip with 70+ mph (but no ac as it was Jan)
The 06 and later have triple laminate glass that helps cut down road noise and tire pressure moniters.
I have not heard of a TCD car being pre approved for the Jag SE warranty. They do sell (but don't push) an extended warranty.
Try asking where ever you think you'll be having the car serviced at which warranty they have the best results with.
I have heard some horror stories about the warranties that some have purchased.
Jag does not (to my knowledge anyway) offer ac seats. The VDP seatdoes have one extra adjustment that the regular ones' don't and I believe it is a thigh extension though I may be mistaken about this.
If you spend a great deal of time in your car as it sounds like you do you may be dissapointed with the Jag stereo and its' lack of versitility with regards to being updated with ipod and sat radio. There is a device called an ACM (audio connectivity module) available which by todays standards is a joke. Also if the bluetooth option is not already there it can be costly to after install. I am in the process of researching replacing the factory stereo for these reasons.
Overall I think you'll find it's a comfortable car with a lot of character as I've seen so many say "you don't see yourself coming the other direction as with MB & BMW.
Chad

Old 01-22-2009, 12:08 PM

In the last couple of years, perforated seats with AC became available. don't know on which models though. I do know that sat radio is availble as well, but I don'thave it. It's one of thetwo options on the Super V8. At any rate, I just keep some CDs inside the car for long trips and try to remember to change what's in the player before I leave. The Alpine premium sound system in my caris pretty good, if not up to the current top of the line for many cars (including Jaguars current Bowers and Wilkenson offering). I think it is every bit as good as the premiumHarmon-Kardon in my wife's 06BMW 650ci. And we dont use the sat radio in that car either. Never signed up after the trial period.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

If I ever manage to get to the dealer, I'll let you know how I make out with my extended warranty from www.aaautowarranty.com

They are suppose to be good, but I am skeptical; most of the reason I am prolonging my visit...

Old 01-26-2009, 12:07 PM

Just back from my first extended trip in my 06 Super V8. Car performed as expected, as far as comfort, performance, and fun to drive. Thanks to some really awful weather, I got to find out how it handled on summer tires (P-zeros) in cold, rainy conditions. Worst was going over the Tejon Pass (Interstate 5 in and outof the LA basin going to the bay Area). Temps got down near frezzing, heavy rain, and gusty winds. Jaguar was fine. Very stable and predictable handling in very poor conditions. I was very glad I just had new wiper blades fitted.

Gas mileage was as expected. I got25-26 MPG in my 04 XJ8. With the Super V8, it was more like 22-23 for the trip. That includes the surface streets and some slow traffic as well as the highway miles. Probably about 80-20 highway. Don't have any numbers for just highway miles. I did routinely get 28-29 mpg in the XJ8 when just driving at 75-80 on Interstates. i would expect a couple of mpg for teh Super V8 as well.

Anyway, had a fun trip. My wife andI went down to do some planning with my son, his fiance, and her parents for their summer wedding. I see some significant negative cash flow in the near future.