XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2008 Super V8 aux input / satellite radio - how can it be so difficult

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My ACM has all the inputs: RCA, USB and iPod connector. They all work but all control goes to the NAV screen and there is no iPod navigation. So the track name doesn't appear, etc. What I want is a simple mp3 jack. I have had these in rentals. You plug in your iPod or other mp3 player and it plays through the speakers and you have control through the mp3 player's own screen. So my query is would the electronics in this 2008 XJ8 allow a jack to be installed - glove compartment or wherever?

Old 03-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Why can't you just use the RCA connector with a cable adapter?

Old 03-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

The RCA inputs are the aux input (simple mp3 jack) for your ACM. I used this

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

to convert the stereo RCA to stereo 3.5mm, because I had an angled 3.5mm aux cable that I wanted to use. Otherwise you could just use a 3.5mm to stereo RCA cable
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

When I was using the latest jaguar v1.09 ACM firmware, I could only get the RCA aux to work if I unplugged the USB stick. The manual for the ACM states that the ipod and usb interface take priority over the RCA inputs. . However, now that I have updated to the latest Dension D2b firmware, I can select aux input, usb input, and presumeably ipod using car controls OR ipod using ipod controls. I have not confirmed that the ipod can be controlled through its own interface, but I plan to try it with an iphone 3 in the next few days and will let you know. In another thread Jahummer was also going to do the update and try it with his iphone4.

Bottom line
1. You already have the "simple" mp3 input, its the RCA plugs
2. With the firmware you have you are only able to use the RCA inputs if nothing else is connected, ie no ipod , no usb stick etc.
3. If you update to v2.10 firmware you will probably be able to use the ipod/iphone screen to select music (I have not yet personally confirmed this), and be able to select which input for the ACM you want to listen to.

Hope this helps!

NB. If your ipod is plugged in through the interface/charging cable at the same time as you are trying to plug it in through the RCA cables, then you will not be able to select the music through the iposd screen (unless you upgrade to firmware v2.10)

Last edited by seamagineer; 03-03-2011 at 05:11 PM. Reason: added NB.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jake1
connects to radio antenna with a few adapters
I just bought a set from ebay, found by searching "jaguar antenna modulator adapter": http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=jag...ulator+adapter

Old 03-04-2011, 11:06 AM

Is this compatible with the x350 XJ, the items it took me to were not? Let us know

Old 03-05-2011, 05:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seamagineer
Is this compatible with the x350 XJ, the items it took me to were not? Let us know
Are you asking about this antenna modulator adapter wire set? http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=jag...ulator+adapter

This is a correct adapter set for an X350 with navigation. See the picture of the rear of the head unit in the pdf attachment to post 1: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=50454

Attached Thumbnails 2008 Super V8 aux input / satellite radio - how can it be so difficult-jag_modulator_adaptor_set.jpg  

Last edited by sleepyastronaut; 04-23-2011 at 03:11 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Does anyone know if it is easy to just hook a 3.5mm audio cable into the connection for the radio antenna, or something like that? (Basically hijack one of the FM frequencies using a hard connection rather than FM modulation?)
I was able to obtain a fm modulator kit from Alpine which connects my IPOD and XM radio. The device shows the selected music for my IPOD via the radio. I use one FM Freq for IPOD and another for XM radio. It connects directly via the radio antenna connection. The Alpine device cost about $125.00, it can be done by user, however I had a audio shop install it. I found a mounting solution which matching interior console color and doesn''t require any drilling. If interested I can provide further details. I'm quite satisfied with my setup, much better than installing XM radio in ash tray.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:02 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by blandty
I was able to obtain a fm modulator kit from Alpine which connects my IPOD and XM radio. The device shows the selected music for my IPOD via the radio. I use one FM Freq for IPOD and another for XM radio. It connects directly via the radio antenna connection. The Alpine device cost about $125.00, it can be done by user, however I had a audio shop install it. I found a mounting solution which matching interior console color and doesn''t require any drilling. If interested I can provide further details. I'm quite satisfied with my setup, much better than installing XM radio in ash tray.
I would like to know more about this. A part number and source would be helpful.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:56 AM
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Sounds like he bought one of these..

Alpine DPR-RDS1

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500DPRR...=detailed_info

Old 03-07-2011, 09:37 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by kthrash
Sounds like he bought one of these..

Alpine DPR-RDS1

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500DPRR...=detailed_info
I thought that to, but it's description only speaks to an Ipod and doesn't mention an additional device (SAT Radio).

I was wondering about this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500KCA8...B.html?tp=1672

Does anyone know if our head units are Ai-NET compatible?

Old 03-07-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by 45Wheelgun
I would like to know more about this. A part number and source would be helpful.

The device I mentioned is called Alpine DPR-RDS1, I just checked and its
available via amazon or other audio installers; lists for just under $110.00.
It supports Iphone and Ipod connections. Allows charging of either when
connected. Also, I have a 2008 XJ, and I obtained a KUDA mount to install my
XM radio, color matches exactly with no drilling.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by blandty
The device I mentioned is called Alpine DPR-RDS1, I just checked and its
available via amazon or other audio installers; lists for just under $110.00.
It supports Iphone and Ipod connections. Allows charging of either when
connected. Also, I have a 2008 XJ, and I obtained a KUDA mount to install my
XM radio, color matches exactly with no drilling.
So you can hook up two devices to the Alpine thing or just the iPod?

Old 03-07-2011, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by kthrash
So you can hook up two devices to the Alpine thing or just the iPod?
Just the IPhone or IPOD. I brought a XM radio model Onxy with its own modulator.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the hardwire inline FM modulator approach. Some of them like the DICE FMRDS USB Pro support RDS, which will display song information on the radio display.

I am really confused on which antenna adapter to use. The adapter above listed on ebay states it is not compatible with the XJ. I also read on another thread that someone used a chrysler adapter? I read on another site that they did not recommend use of FM modulators with amplified antennas?

Does anyone know what type of antenna connection/adapter do I need?

Thanks

Old 03-08-2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by MickJagguar
I like the hardwire inline FM modulator approach. Some of them like the DICE FMRDS USB Pro support RDS, which will display song information on the radio display.

I am really confused on which antenna adapter to use. The adapter above listed on ebay states it is not compatible with the XJ. I also read on another thread that someone used a chrysler adapter? I read on another site that they did not recommend use of FM modulators with amplified antennas?

Does anyone know what type of antenna connection/adapter do I need?

Thanks

I bought these for my Sirius install:

Metra Antennaworks 40-EU30 European FM Antenna Adapter: $19.99
http://www.myradiostore.com/

you can see the whole install here (on my previous XJR, but I did the same thing in my current XJ8 a few weeks ago):

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=16192

Last edited by kthrash; 03-08-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

kthrash
Thank you for your post. I have been debating on whether or not to purchase a 2007 XJ8 without a rear CD changer. The lack of audio integration has been killing me. I went ahead and pulled the trigger, but have been torn by the lack of ipod integration. This is a tremendous help thank you.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Default iPod Integration without ACM

The Dice FMRDS Pro seems like a way for me to get iPod control and Sat radio. Many shops here in Chicago install them a lot. But I can't tell from the images how it will affect the use of the cigarette lighter for charging other non-iPod/iPhone things (such as a tire inflator).

XJ8 L

Old 03-10-2011, 05:09 PM

deeboq13, unless I am completely missing something, you really do not need the Dice FMRDS. You can use the rca inputs of your ACM for satellite radio, and if you upgrade the firmware of the ACM to v 2.10 as per post 19 of this thread, it should give you full control of the ipod from its own screen, AND allow you to select whihch input you want to use from the ACM. These things you cannot do with the firmware v1.09, which was the latest official jaguar version.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Default Gateway 500 Firmware Update D2B

Thanks. Will do.

XJ8 L

Old 03-20-2011, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by 45Wheelgun
Here are some pics of XM radio using Kuda Mount.

Attached Thumbnails 2008 Super V8 aux input / satellite radio - how can it be so difficult-imag0034_1.jpg   2008 Super V8 aux input / satellite radio - how can it be so difficult-imag0032.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2008 Super V8 aux input / satellite radio - how can it be so difficult