XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2008 XJ Muffler Delete

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 11:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2008 XJ Muffler Delete

I have a 2008 Jaguar XJ, i'm getting some sort of noise enhancing job done this Saturday and wanted to know what is best, please don't try to talk me out of it, it paid for the car, i do as i wish. I'm not sure if i should do a muffler delete, or a resonator delete. I want the most sound possible, but at a legal point, i live in Los Angeles, CA. I need some assistance from a massive jaguar lover like my self, only i don't know as much as some of you do. So please, help a fellow jaguar owner out, do i delete the muffler, or the resonator(s)?

Old 03-12-2017, 12:43 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I would remove the center section and replace it with an X-pipe. It will be cheapest and easiest modification. If you dont like the results you can always change rear resonators.

I did this mod on my 05 XJR the first go around. Have done other mods since.

Woodford Jag

Old 03-12-2017, 01:47 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Are you 16 years old? Living in Cali I'd figure you really can't mess much with the exhaust, they have such crazy restrictions there.

Old 03-12-2017, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 738 Likes on 465 Posts

I have 100 cell cats, x pipe and muffler delete.

I first fitted the cats on the OEM exhaust with 3in down pipes to the cats.
This changed the note of the exhaust more than the overall noise.

I latter fitted an xpipe while removing the center muffler.
This gave the exhaust a real euro sound but in my opinion its too loud.

I then trialed of number of back mufflers as compared to the OEM ones with the above mods.

The first was a basic genie muffler, This just made it louder.
I next tried the X-Force Varex muffler. This has an internal valve allowing you to control the amount of bypass. With this fully closed I it was worse than the cheep genie unit. With it open its effectively an open pipe. These are not cheep units and I quickly sold them off.
I finally tried the Dynomax VT (Sold in OZ as the Lukey VT)
This also has an internal valve but it operated by an internal spring. Under normal conditions the valve is closed but opens with a high gas flow. IE when you gun the throttle. With the valve closed it a but quieter then the OEM units but not that much. Same cant be said when you gun it as the result is open pipes!!!

The next step is to refit a center muffler just to cut the sound level down. The trick will be to keep the note.

Cheers
34by151

Old 06-08-2017, 05:51 PM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Just finished doing the X-pipe on my 04 Vanden Plas

Honestly I would say the sound increase is about 40%. Not worth it to me because the Vanden Plas/XJ8 rear mufflers are more quite than the XJR's . I am looking for XJR mufflers so if anyone has theirs lying around and not using it. Please sell it to me lol.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by croco
Just finished doing the X-pipe on my 04 Vanden Plas

Honestly I would say the sound increase is about 40%. Not worth it to me because the Vanden Plas/XJ8 rear mufflers are more quite than the XJR's . I am looking for XJR mufflers so if anyone has theirs lying around and not using it. Please sell it to me lol.
I'm about to do a complete cat back. I have a Super v8. I'm assuming it has the same muffler as the xjr. If you're interested shoot me a pm.

Old 06-25-2017, 03:10 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I will do an exhaust mod in the future, but with a solenoid bypass so it can go from race loud back to quiet stock. Maybe the bypass would have mufflers from a Maserati (sounds so racy) or F Type.

I work with electronics so would like to build a module that would open the bypass for a few seconds upon startup, open when pulling J-Gate to manual (which would also switch on Sport Mode), and open upon a certain manifold vacuum being reached.