XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2008 XJ VDP Seat Heaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 11:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy 2008 XJ VDP Seat Heaters

Ok, I have a seat heater problem.

If you have read any of my other posts you will see that my 08 XJ VDP has had this issue before. Last year, my radio went nuts! I would touch a station and a different button would light up, I changed the station and the A/C stopped entirely, and at one time the radio started scanning from 1 preset station to the next over and over until I pulled over and turned the car off. Then a few days later the rear speakers quit working. The Jag mechanic diagnosed this as a dead amplifier and 2 dead speakers. This was VERY expensive to fix, then just about 2 weeks later, the drivers seat heater quit working.

I had to have the element? that is actually under the leather replaced and since Jag didn't have one we had to order one from Range Rover that was identical.

Then about 3 months ago, again it quit working. The light came on, but no heat. Then about a month later, it magically came on again and has been working until 3 days ago.

It stopped working again and so did the front passenger side. When you hit the button to turn them both on, the lights come on, but NO HEAT on either side.

I don't think having the element replace last year was the problem, I think it just happened to fix it temporarily!

Does anyone know what this could be? All the lights are working as if they are both really on, but no heat. I have not checked to see if the rear heaters are working but I will do that later this week.

I personally think that I have an electrical GREMLIN somewhere in my car that keeps showing it's ugly head in weird places, ie the speakers, seat heaters, radio and amplifier!

HELP! I have back problems and I need my seat heater!
Tina

Old 03-13-2015, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Does the steering wheel heat up when you turn on the drivers side heater? If so, I would check the fuses controlling the seat heaters. If not, that seems to me to be an issue with the heater circuits. Hope this helps,

Old 03-13-2015, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

Tina,

The fuse for the front seaters is located in the trunk fuse box. It's fuse number F47 and it's 20A fuse. You probably have a spare 20A fuse already with the car.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:14 PM

The first time the seat heaters quit working the steering wheel DID heat up, but this time is DOES NOT! Where would I find the heater circuits?

Thanks
Tina

Old 03-14-2015, 12:17 PM

Thanks Carelm, if the fuse was out would the light on the buttons still come on? The light is working on mine just as if the heaters were working, but they don't heat and neither does the steering wheel.

The first time the heater in the front quit working and I had to replace the membrane, the lights worked and the steering wheel still heated, but this time the lights work but the seats don't heat and neither does the steering wheel.

Tina

Old 03-14-2015, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Tina,

Both the seat heater fuses and the heated steering wheel fuses are in the trunk next to the battery. You will have to lift the lid covering the spare tire to access them. You may want to see if you have any water in the spare tire well as that will create havoc with the electrics. As noted earlier the fuse for front seat heaters is F47. The fuse for the heated steering wheel is F54 but it is 15A fuse.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:22 AM

so I checked every fuse in my car, all test good. The seat heaters of all 4 seats do NOT work, but the lights come on. The steering wheel does NOT heat up and so I tested the air cooled seats in the front and NOPE they are not working either, even though the lights come on.

Saturday I was driving from San Antonio, TX to Austin, and WTF, the seat heaters magically worked perfectly for that trip, then the very next day and since then NOPE, so what I do, every time I drive the car, I turn them on, and 9 times out of 10 they don't come on, but on that 10th time, they do! WTF

What should I test next?

Thanks
Tina

Old 03-30-2015, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

I would check the connections first, and then then check to see if some of the wires are chafed. That is likely to be a real PITA though.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:14 AM
Default where are the connectors?

Originally Posted by carelm
I would check the connections first, and then then check to see if some of the wires are chafed. That is likely to be a real PITA though.

Carem, where are these connectors? Does anyone have a diagram of the module that I believe is under the drivers seat for the seat heaters? So I can see which connectors go to the seat heaters/coolers. If you have a diagram email it to me atctinak@gmail.com please

It would make sense if they are under the drivers seat that they could come loose or get chaffed as the drivers seat is the one that takes a beating by moving forward and backward each and everytime you get in or out.

If it isn't the connectors then maybe the module is out. Does anyone have a part number or any ideas where to get either an aftermarket module or used module? I have an 08 XJ VDP, what year model modules would work for this car? I am thinking only the 08 and 09 but not sure.

Thanks for any help provided

Old 04-02-2015, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Tina,

Under the General Tech Help forum there is a section for X350/358 that has an electrical diagram pdf file. Also, you can try to download the JTIS application that has wiring diagrams as far as I know.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...r-index-50609/

Old 04-14-2015, 11:49 AM

from what I see on the diagrams it looks like I need to take the seats out to get to the connectors to check them and check the wires for chaffing or fraying, is this correct? I have to pull out the seats?