XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2008 xj8 Rear Multimedia question

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 11:51 PM
Received 254 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2008 xj8 Rear Multimedia question

On the front navigation screen on the system menu, when the Rear Multimedia option is pushed, the next screen show the following four option buttons:

ON R (with speaker symbol in front of the R)

Headphones only

Off

The "R" option button is always grayed out and the owners manual or the Rear Entertainment handbooks don't explain this screen.

Thanks,
LCM
08 XJ8 VDP

Old 07-24-2012, 02:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

It is mentioned in the Touch Screen manual:

The ‘rear speakers on’ button is shown on this page with the REAR SOURCE display screen but applies also to the FM screen display, the Tape display, the CD display, the MD display and the CDC display.

This feature will allow the front occupants to turn on the rear speakers if the rear occupants have turned them off using the rear multimedia system.

The front user can turn the rear speakers on by pressing the ‘rear speakers on’ button. If the button is disabled, then the rear speakers are already on.

Note: When the rear occupants turn the speakers on or off, a pop-up will appear on the front screen showing either REAR

Old 07-25-2012, 12:13 AM
Received 254 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2008 xj8 Rear Multimedia question

That was very helpful as in my USA Owners manual under Touch Screen it fulls short of explaning what you provided.

I did see that the manual says that by pressing and "holding" the speaker button on the rear Multimedia control pad for a few seconds it would switch off the rear speakers. I noticed that this works when the red light is light on the right or left buttons first. This does then turn the "R" speaker soft button on the front Touch Screen display to become black and allowing the rear speakers to be turned back on by the front Touch Screen or even by the rear passanger is they once again press and hold the speaker button.

This has been very helpful as my 5 year old son is now quite active in watcing DVD movies. I must say that it is unfortunate that Jaguar made the rear multimedia lid to flip up but not then slide down out of the way as it is impossible for the front passanger to simply reach back and help push some buttons to help the 5 year old out with the lid sitting straigh up like a brick wall!

Here is what my manual says under Control Priority
Operation of the various functions listed later in this section are affected by your choice of output priority. To make changes to the audio system as a whole first, press the [speaker button located between right and left buttons] button to select cabin mode and change the settings for the entire cabin.
To change the audio settings for the left or right rear passenger headphones (where fitted) first, press either the right or left button. The headphone sockets are shown as 10 and 8 on the switchpack
illustration, page 14. The area that will be affected by your choice of volume level is indicated by the Red light illuminated on the chosen switch.
Note: To improve audio performance via the headphones, switch off the rear cabin speakers by pressing and holding the center speaker button whilst in headphone mode. To switch the speakers back on press and hold the button.

I hope this will help othes.

LCM Jaguar
08 XJ8 VDP
88 XJ40

Old 12-27-2012, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did not receive a touch screen manual with my used 05 xj, but what I want to know is if there is any way to have the DVD audio heard throughout the cabin? I don't understand why Headphone Only would be an option if you could not hear it in the rest of the cabin. Totally agree by the way of the inconvenience of having the "brick wall" blocking access to the DVD player.