XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2009 xj8l fan runs while driving awhile

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 xj8l fan runs while driving awhile

Radiator fan runs most of time now and the engine compartment is only 154 degrees . When engine shut off runs for another 5 minutes. Does fan have a thermal resistor incorporated with a preset ?? This fan hasn't come on in over 4 years and temp is at halfway/meaning good no over heating concern . I understand the fan is directly fused to battery - any advice as to the problem/issue ????

THanks Chuckie

I replaced rear air shock with arnott/ all is good (2007 XJ super8.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:50 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My fans run a few minutes upon shutdown with code reader showing engine temp in the normal 190 degree range. Service advisor claims this is normal even though it never did it before. Found very small leak at the nipple of the small upper coolant reservoir hose. Will replace reservoir when I have the time, and I suspect this will also fix the fans running issue although I don't understand why.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckie
Radiator fan runs most of time now and the engine compartment is only 154 degrees .
What do you mean engine compartment is 154 F? The coolant is 154 or you're measuring surface temperature under the hood?

What is the ambient temperature, coolant temp, how long has the engine been running?

When engine shut off runs for another 5 minutes.
Does fan have a thermal resistor incorporated with a preset ?? This fan hasn't come on in over 4 years and temp is at halfway/meaning good no over heating concern . I understand the fan is directly fused to battery - any advice as to the problem/issue ????
The fan does not have any factor in this issue. The fan and its speed are controlled by the ECM, based on a variety of sensors.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the issue last year. Fan kept running for 2-5 minutes after I shut off the engine and it never did that before. Took in to dealer and they found a failing thermostat. Has not occurred since.