XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

4 tiny sunroof visor clips? Need help finding some

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 11:35 PM
Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts
Default 4 tiny sunroof visor clips? Need help finding some

Hello all.

We've been doing quite a bit of work to our "new" XJ8, the latest task being to replace the all-too-commonly defective headliner. To remove the sun shade, you have to drop the entire sunroof assembly.....

I was working on this one evening, and as I finally got everything to release and began to slide the shade out, I felt/heard 4 *clinks* down into the interior. Turns out they were 4 small nylon clips with tiny springs inside that help the shade slide in the track better. I recovered two of them, and all of them were apparently broken (see yellow circle), which is why they fell out.

Does anyone know where to find replacements, or am I stuck with fabricating something in the workshop as an alternative?

Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails 4 tiny sunroof visor clips? Need help finding some-jaguarsunvisorclip.jpg  
Old 08-07-2013, 09:25 PM

So, that's a no?

Old 08-08-2013, 05:36 AM
doc
Received 202 Likes on 169 Posts

I had a quick look around the net cant see them for sale anywhere it would probably help if you could find out the correct name for the clips or where they go then you might move forward

Old 08-08-2013, 01:13 PM

Thanks Doc, I should have added that a call to the dealer parts counter revealed that the clips are not available separately from the sun shade.....and that item is around $350.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:44 PM
Received 193 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by SaturnV
Thanks Doc, I should have added that a call to the dealer parts counter revealed that the clips are not available separately from the sun shade.....and that item is around $350.
Anything the glass needed would be more challenging. Mass and need-to-seal-well issues.

The sunshade, OTOH, is low-mass and is not involved in sealing anything but passage of stray lightbeams.

You should be able to make up 'something' that gets the job done, even if it doesn't have the same shape.

Nylon - if even they were actually a 'nylon' - would be about my last choice among the plastics clans, however. Hygroscopic issues, ages poorly.

A polyolefin, polypropylene, or acetal resin (Delrin) - even linear polyethylene - should last longer, and could be sliced off any of several races of inexpensive kitchen cutting boards and shaped with common woodworking tools.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:57 AM
doc

350! Ouch
I have only owned my X350 for 2 weeks did a transmission service new tyres and wheel alignment it just doesn't need anything

Not like my previous XJR6 still spending on it but its always been a labour of love fore that car

Old 08-10-2013, 06:14 AM
doc

Originally Posted by Thermite
Anything the glass needed would be more challenging. Mass and need-to-seal-well issues.

The sunshade, OTOH, is low-mass and is not involved in sealing anything but passage of stray lightbeams.

You should be able to make up 'something' that gets the job done, even if it doesn't have the same shape.

Nylon - if even they were actually a 'nylon' - would be about my last choice among the plastics clans, however. Hygroscopic issues, ages poorly.

A polyolefin, polypropylene, or acetal resin (Delrin) - even linear polyethylene - should last longer, and could be sliced off any of several races of inexpensive kitchen cutting boards and shaped with common woodworking tools.
You gotta love kitchen cutting boards they are handy for a lot of things over the years

I even made slides for a rover sunroof years ago customer was super happy same thing just cut them out roughly and finished them of with files and sand paper worked a treat

Old 08-12-2013, 08:46 PM
Received 193 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by doc
You gotta love kitchen cutting boards they are handy for a lot of things over the years ..
Doc,

Here is another 'possible'. Tripped over 'em whilst looking for the bezel that goes around the boot-latch well meself, but may be worth your while to contact them about the sunroof guide/clips as well:

Jaguar C2C22489LFJ Interior Roof Sunvisor | eBay

No experience with them yet - for all *I* know as a Jaguar newby, they may be more dear than dealer prices!

Show of hands from those who HAVE dealt with them - or others who have similar seldom-trafficed Jaguar parts?

Old 08-12-2013, 09:10 PM

Follow up:

Once I tried to actually fit the sunshade back into the tracks, the fussy little clips became a moot point. The new fabric was slightly thicker and I couldn't even get the shade into the track with ANY type of clip, OEM or home made.

So, I just put the shade back in place without anything and I will hope for best as far as wear. I already have an issue, the shade is pretty stiff in the track and when the sunroof tries to close, it "thinks" the shade is an obstruction and bounces back open.

I just have to reach up once the roof begins to close and give the shade a little help. I believe once everything wears in, this dumb issue will go away.

Thanks for all the helpful comments.

The following users liked this post:
Thermite (08-13-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 06:32 AM
doc

Follow up:

Once I tried to actually fit the sunshade back into the tracks, the fussy little clips became a moot point. The new fabric was slightly thicker and I couldn't even get the shade into the track with ANY type of clip, OEM or home made.

So, I just put the shade back in place without anything and I will hope for best as far as wear. I already have an issue, the shade is pretty stiff in the track and when the sunroof tries to close, it "thinks" the shade is an obstruction and bounces back open.

I just have to reach up once the roof begins to close and give the shade a little help. I believe once everything wears in, this dumb issue will go away.

Thanks for all the helpful comments.
Spray the runners with Mr Sheen
I know it sound weird but its actually a pretty good dry lube LOL