XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

50K Vanden Plas Maint.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 50K Vanden Plas Maint.

Hello all, I am a new Jag owner as of 4/5, I have an 04 XJ8 Vanden Plas. I spoke to the dealer about my 50K mile service interval Does anyone know what this entails and if it is something that can be done yourself? Also noticing a little bit of hesitation while leaving from a stop when the transmission is shifting from first to second, will the 50K maint. address this when completed? Thanks for all your replies and your time. Sorry if this was ever posted before, any direction to "sticky" posts or anything else would be appreciated.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Normally the documents provided with the car when new would have included an Owner Handbook, and also a Service Book, plus others. I would have thought the Service Book would have the service schedules and what should be done at each service. You should get these from the dealer with the car. 50k is not a lot of miles for a 2004 car so it should be immaculate.

Main thing to remember is that most services specify miles and calendar intervals with the service due on a first hit basis. A lot of people forget the calendar bit and run the car too long without a service.

In your case, I would expect to see on the schedule: -

- oil and filter change
- air filter change
- possibly a brake fluid change - this is normally a 2 year interval regardless of miles, but could be 3 years.
- a lot of inspection activities especially safety items like brake pads and discs, wheels and tyres etc.
- also checks to see if the various recalls and TSBs have been actioned.

There is a specific recall at the moment on the brake pipes to the rear, due to corrosion. It is essential you check whether this includes your car's VIN.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:16 AM

Thank you, I appreciate your help. What is your take on the hesitation from the automatic trans when shifting from first to second? The car starts out strong then acts as if it is starved for either fuel or air, then after the shift it drives normally. If I gun the accelerator the hesitation is a little less noticeable. What can be done to fix this problem?

Old 04-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

My 2004 4.2SE kind of does this too. When I pull away from standstill, especially when the car is cold there is a noticeable pause as the revs drop during the change between 1st and 2nd gear so it may be normal.

If I pull away more briskly it doesn't happen.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue with the transmission. The TCM needs to be reprogrammed. In my case the module would not re-program so it was replaced under warranty (2005 XJR). The module learns your driving habits.

Best of luck.

Ed

Old 04-09-2010, 09:30 AM

Well I will see what happens. I just bought the car Monday. I filled the tank with premium fuel as per the info on the gas cap door. This morning I didn't really notice the hesitation, maybe the car was just still cold. I will keep my eyes on it to see if it returns. Thanks for your info.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine shifts a bit slower from 1 to 2 and the TCM was reprogrammed. I think it's the characteristic of these cars.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Hi AntonB

Your "hesitation" on drive-off with a cold engine is interesting. Virtually all modern auto transmissions are electronically controlled, and this includes the program easing off the engine whilst the box changes, to stop engine torque stressing the gears and brakebands. This action takes some getting used to by those of us used to the old Borg Warner 3-speeders which just changed regardless of what the engine was doing. They were, however, very robust boxes, but now we have 5 and 6 speeders in the same space as the old boxes, so the box components have to be smaller, and, how should we say it, more delicate ?

Now in your car, you have a cold engine, with the box shutting it off momentarily to change gears, so the hesitation appears worse than when the engine warms up. In my view the gearbox program is not totally correct, and is failing to account for the cold engine and low revs. Other posts here suggest Jaguar have a fix for this involving reprogamming the box controller.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:43 PM

2004 VDP with aprox 50k miles; I have the same symptoms. If I take off very, very gently, the 1-2 shift is barely noticable; if I take off normally there is a slight lag, (lurch?), then it takes off briskly in second. If i take off aggresively then the shift is quicker and smoother. All other shifts are smooth.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

It takes sometime to get use too. I keep having problem accelerating around turns. A little to much gas and the car lurches forward. I also know I have the dread issue with the torque converter lock-up.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:10 AM

Very interesting thread.
I used to experience these hard shifts in my old XJR when in sport mode, so I left it permanently in normal.