XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

80,000 +miles - How is your Jaguar holding up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 05:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just sold my E39 BMW 5 series and picked up an 04 XJR with 58k for 18 grand...

I sold the BMW because the maintenance was ridiculous.

My sister and dad both drive Jags and each now has high mileage. They have been great cars.

The germans have the budgets to always be on the cutting edge of technology, and then all the new gadgetry and components break and wear out, leaving the non warranty owners holding the bag.

I picked the XJR because although it is some what tech savvy, much of it is tried, true, and simple.

Also, there are no other cars that have the style that Jags have. Was tired of being Mr. Everybody in a Black BMW. Now in my parts, I am 1 of 1...and THATS a good feeling!

ps. the low resale is because of a bad reputation from the 80s... Sucks for the people who are scared...great for those of us who are smart enough to know that Jags are tremendous value!

Old 11-06-2011, 06:34 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rspencer1212
I was at my local Lexus dealer getting some minor items corrected when I ran into my old salesman. The conversation turned to Jaguar's low resale value he he stated that unlike Lexus's and Mercedes, the Jaguars start falling apart around 80,000 miles or so and that it is really hard to sell a Jaguar with more than 75,000 miles. Now I know that its his job to promote the Lexus brand but what about it - how do the old Jags hold up? Most cars take a hit at 100,000 miles but do Jaguars take an additional hit due to their perception of unreliability? Are only Jags any different from the luxury German cars?

Inquiring minds want to know your experiences.
I have owned all the " German " cars, currently own a 997, and can tell you they all will require repairs and replacements of the type listed in some of these emails. The more complex the car the more chances of a system failure. Expensive cars are expensive to maintain so don't buy one thinking because it was so expensive when it was new it should last forever and be maintainable free after you buy it cheap. Not a Jag owner yet but intend to be soon and from what I have read on this forum the modern Jags ( since Ford owned them and after ) appear to be well built cars requiring fewer high dollar repairs than the German cars you refer to. Add to that the fact it will be a lot more fun to drive around in Jag XJ than a Lexus ( have owned those too ) I say get the Jag.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default life expectancy of a jag

Hi I'm new to the forum and ran across your inquiry regarding how's your jaguar holding up. I have been driving jags since 1986 I've had 3 xjs V 12 coupes which i purchased new 1986, 89 and 91 and am currently the owner of an awesome 99 xk8 convertible. the earlier jags although beautiful in every way were not built as well as the newer ones. i feel that the newer jags with modern technology are pretty reliable and if garaged, waxed and maintained properly to include the interior will give you years of service not to mention the fact that you are driving evryone elses dream car. my 99 has 83,000 miles on it and has given me no problems i wax the car more than i wash it and can tell you that on a daily basis someone is complimenting my wife on her new jag, and that goes for inside as well. As far as mechanical - perfect with a bone dry under carriage buy a caddy or lincoln and see how they hold up after 80,000 even if they do hold up its not the same as owning a cat. good luck

Old 11-15-2011, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by DDtheBauce
I picked the XJR because although it is some what tech savvy, much of it is tried, true, and simple.
Let's see how tasty those words are. There are loads of functions handled electronically on a XJR. Some of them make no sense at all.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
a tiger in bed
a mink in the closet
a jaguar in the drive!!!
but it took three separate women

Old 11-18-2011, 06:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have owned a 2000 Mercedes and now my '04 Jag VDP. Jag has 75K and have had MINIMAL issues. I put on brakes and tires, repaired a broken hood ornament, replaced lft frt wheel sensor, and #8 Coil (?). I took out an extended warranty upon purchase simply because I was/am scared of costs associated with air compressor. My research says that this is the most oft replaced component. To date I am quite happy with my vehicle. I would advise the warranty purchase if possible. It has given me great piece of mind and paid for itself. I like the ride and look. I'm willing to pay for that, with that said, I will dump the car when it starts eating me alive.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:12 PM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

My 04 VDP has 138,050 miles as of today.
DIY maintenance:
Front and rear light bulbs
Wiper blades
Tires
Brake pads
Filters
Repaired L/F air leak at fittings
Replaced 2 lost rim center caps

Need to repair/replace: (Completed)
Wipers only operate on high speed (replaced relay)
Front valance cracked (not noticable)
Right HID inop (replaced bulb) (replaced ballast)
Front-end lowers on cold mornings. (Replaced with Arnott shocks)

My intention was to purchase a vehicle that I will be able to slowly transform to my personal taste.
My wife's X-Type is the same year and doing fine, the only problem has been with the Key FOB (required reprograming twice).
I also have a 2000 Durango that has about 175,000 miles and still going strong. I have had no mechanical problems with the Durango.

Last edited by reyesl; 01-26-2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Update on repairs.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

My 04 xj8 has now 83000 miles on it:
Transmission software flash
Thermostat
calipers
FULL SUSPENSION overhaul
Other than that, runs GREAT!!!

Old 01-19-2012, 10:18 PM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
Let's see how tasty those words are. There are loads of functions handled electronically on a XJR. Some of them make no sense at all.
Loads more than on an XJ8? Because I've given up looking for a SWB MY 2005 XJ8 and am now looking at XJRs. Lately am even looking at 2006-07s even though I don't think the exterior trim scheme is quite as sharp. Getting hard to find low-mileage examples of either. I really like the mesh grilles on the 2008-09 and can find great examples of those but then there are those mondo bumpers and gills to contend with

No easy way out huh! No easy way back in either Name:  icon_smile_tongue.gif
Views: 6817
Size:  234 Bytes

Old 01-20-2012, 05:21 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by usmc1211
My 04 xj8 has now 83000 miles on it:
Transmission software flash
Thermostat
calipers
FULL SUSPENSION overhaul
Other than that, runs GREAT!!!
How do I know if I need a transmission flash?

Just had my trans replaced.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

My 98 XJ8L had like 141k miles and it was a very reliable car. Comparable to my Lexus SC400 & Nissan ZX... the 03' STR had 89k miles and cost more to own than the XJ.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:35 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

mine had a moment of erratic shifting. I just had it flashed for that. It seemed to have taken care of it.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:47 PM
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

3, 6, 8, and 9 don't count.

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Well I admit my car is now 8 years old, and I bought it last year in May on 30k miles, and have taken it to 50k as of last week.

1. Air compressor for suspension
2. Driver door latch
3. Rear discs and pads.
4. Two transmission software reflashes
5. Repaint boot (trunk) lid due to corrosion creeping out from under leading edge.
6. Two front tyres
7. Headlamp washer jet (one)
8. Wiper blades
9. Normal service (two)
10. Two boot lid gas-struts (very cheap from an aftermarket supplier)
11. New rear lower wishbones and spring unit bottom bushes, plus a track-arm on one side

In three years, my previous car, a Rover 75, apart from services, had nothing like so much unexpected expenditure, and I took it from 37k to 84k. I may go back to this car as I retire today and will be on half-pay from now on.

How have others faired ?

Last edited by MK 82; 01-21-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:06 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 135

2005 Super V8 135k Miles. replaced transmision under warrenty at 30k since then normal wear items. everything still works. Needs RH HID Lamp(flickering) and sway bar links and maybe lower shock bushings and a trans reflash. Still love the car and havent found anything nicer.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:06 AM
Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

'04 XJ8 bought new. Now has 111,000 miles.

14500 Warranty repair on oil supply problem to variable valve timing apparatus; Jag paid for this;

71000 Idler pulley replaced due to squeak; serpentine belt replaced just because; cheap repair;

77500 New heater control assembly in dash ~ air volume n temp not even from R to L side; this was expensive at about $2400 for installation of the complete assembly.

That's it, other than the normal consumables such as brakes, filters, bulbs and fluids.
Paint is still flawless w 3M protection and we try keeping 'em in the garage and out of the baking sun when possible and interior is as perfect as the day we bought it. This Jag is as reliable and low maintenance as any car I've owned.

This summer we bought an '03 XK8 w 38k miles and I'm expecting it to be low maintenance also.

I'm not afraid of Jags.

Last edited by Norm 427; 10-29-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:53 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

"People have long memories and Jaguars reputation in the USA hasn't caught up with it's improved quality. This makes used Jags a value."

Could not agree with you more !

Old 11-01-2013, 08:47 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Mechanicaly i'd have to say the Mercedes is more reliable, I had an XJ6 with 180k miles and had a bit of trouble with oil leak from headgasket and worn timing chain tensioners, the XJ8 I have now has 146k miles and I have had to replace the thermostat housing and the temperature guage sender unit and a front wheel bearing it also has an annoying cold surge (possibly a gearbox issue) and this later car in particular feels a little fragile, my old C clkass Mercedes 230K however had hardly any work in 205k miles, in fact it went 6 years with only basic servicing taking it to ten years old, then I did replace a couple of ball joints for a small amout of play and a spring, also two lower rear suspension joints (one was squeaking) but this was all in 8yrs years of ownership apart from brakes and service items. however the Jags have had much better bodywork, the Mercedes was prettty crap with rust coming at 3yrs old and repairs every year after to keep it tidy but I still miss it, 12yrs old 205k and still felt as if it would go on forever. The XJ6 I only owned for 4yrs and only did about 13k miles on it, I replaced the head gasket, rear shocks, several bushes, the exhaust manifold cracked and the cooling fan wiring burnt outand of course the chain rattled every time I started up hot, the XJ8 I've only had for a few months so the above problems with that are hopefully the only, but I doubt it.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rspencer1212
I was at my local Lexus dealer getting some minor items corrected when I ran into my old salesman. The conversation turned to Jaguar's low resale value he he stated that unlike Lexus's and Mercedes, the Jaguars start falling apart around 80,000 miles or so and that it is really hard to sell a Jaguar with more than 75,000 miles. Now I know that its his job to promote the Lexus brand but what about it - how do the old Jags hold up? Most cars take a hit at 100,000 miles but do Jaguars take an additional hit due to their perception of unreliability? Are only Jags any different from the luxury German cars?

Inquiring minds want to know your experiences.
I have bought a 2003 x350 jaguar xj6 and it is like a new car both to look at and to drive ..not bad for a Jaguar with 120,800 miles covered...
regards.. John....

Old 11-03-2013, 07:24 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Cannot complain

Have had my 2001 XJR for 8 years now . Purchased with 60K now at 85K
Changed the upper tensioners {very fine crack} myself, changed water pump myself. Thanks to this forum's members.
Have to fix front sway bar , but that was my doing.
Minor codes showed up.
Do own PM
Still running on original battery !!!!!

Love this XJR . Feels great and looks great.

However also have 2005 Lexus RX330 with 115000 miles and zero issues other than regular PM , tires and battery.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:07 AM
Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Graham Royls
Minor codes showed up.

Still running on original battery !!!!!

Love this XJR . Feels great and looks great.
In 111,000 miles I've never had a code show up ... I feel left out.

Wow, 12 years on the original battery is amazing!

Quick Reply: 80,000 +miles - How is your Jaguar holding up?