XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

82 vanden plas

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 82 vanden plas

I was replacing the tires on the jag I just purchased and I put the e brake on for some reason, when I was finished I took it off and backed the car out of the drive. It squeaked like hell and I realized the e brake was stuck, engaged. I'm wondering if this is an easy fix, both in terms of cost as well as if its something I can do myself. Any insight would be helpful. I haven't had anyone look at the car since I got it and I'm not knowledgable with them (learning after becoming enamored with jags) so I'm looking for an honest mechanic to help me out but would still rather do the labor myself to save money and know what's going on under the hood. The only other things I know are wrong with the car are a leak in the gasket(looks like its been there a while but no puddles yet) and I made the huge mistake of putting 87 gas in it for the ride home so it is running like crap. I don't know anyone into these cars and found this site so any words of advice will be golden. I am going to baby this car and maintain it but I don't have much money so I am looking for the right fixes for my budget and car.
Cheers

Old 08-04-2013, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,892 Likes on 7,161 Posts

Your '82 VDP is a "Series III" car. There's a separate section for 'em. Hopefully one of the admins will see this and move it to the right sections

Originally Posted by KubrickHallway
Iand I realized the e brake was stuck, engaged. I'm wondering if this is an easy fix, both in terms of cost as well as if its something I can do myself. Any insight would be helpful.

The e-brake calipers sit atop the regular calipers. Tricky to get to, I'm afraid. Lack of use is usually what causes problems as the mechanisms get sticky and won't release (or, more commonly) apply properly.

The fix here is *probbaly* gonna be removing the e-brake calipers for a a strip-down, cleaning, and lubricating. However, you can also try removing the cable in hopes that doing so might help.

You'll need to get the car safely elevated to do any of this. Removing the rear calipers (for the e-brakes or the regular brakes) isn't pleasant

I made the huge mistake of putting 87 gas in it for the ride home so it is running like crap.

Using 87 octane shouldn't be much of a problem. In fact, might not be a problem at all, depending on some variables. If the car is running like crap it's not because of using 87 octane fuel......although you might well have some other fuel-related issue.

Tank rust/fuel contamination is common on these cars....and doubly so if the car has been sitting unused for a long time.

After you get the e-brake fixed you mighta wanna pull the fuel filter and empty the contents into a clean jar. What you see or don't see will dictate your next steps.

I don't know anyone into these cars and found this site so any words of advice will be golden. I am going to baby this car and maintain it but I don't have much money so I am looking for the right fixes for my budget and car.
Cheers

Luckily most of the repairs on these car are easily DIY-able. Repairing rear brakes is a notable exception.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Your '82 VDP is a "Series III" car. There's a separate section for 'em. Hopefully one of the admins will see this and move it to the right sections

The e-brake calipers sit atop the regular calipers. Tricky to get to, I'm afraid. Lack of use is usually what causes problems as the mechanisms get sticky and won't release (or, more commonly) apply properly.

The fix here is *probbaly* gonna be removing the e-brake calipers for a a strip-down, cleaning, and lubricating. However, you can also try removing the cable in hopes that doing so might help.

You'll need to get the car safely elevated to do any of this. Removing the rear calipers (for the e-brakes or the regular brakes) isn't pleasant

Using 87 octane shouldn't be much of a problem. In fact, might not be a problem at all, depending on some variables. If the car is running like crap it's not because of using 87 octane fuel......although you might well have some other fuel-related issue.

Tank rust/fuel contamination is common on these cars....and doubly so if the car has been sitting unused for a long time.

After you get the e-brake fixed you mighta wanna pull the fuel filter and empty the contents into a clean jar. What you see or don't see will dictate your next steps.

Luckily most of the repairs on these car are easily DIY-able. Repairing rear brakes is a notable exception.

Cheers
DD
Thank you so much for the detailed post. I didn't realize I put in the wrong section, I apologize. Just found this site today.
Looks like I will have to bring it to someone since I can't elevate the car, I was just worried about having to drive it like that to the shop, can't be good for the car. And the cost, obviously. This car has sat for some months which is why the tires were cooked but I'm wondering what else needs to be done now. You're scaring me with the fuel tank ideas haha. It ran amazing for the nearly 2 hr ride home, and only when I got off the highway and idled at a red light did the "bouncing" start. Ever since then it is loud and "bounces" a bit while in motion. So my list grows with these things and the valve cover gasket, but I'm guessing these are not deal breakers and are relatively cheap to fix? I wrote down what you said about the fuel tank so I can do some more research. Thanks again
Cheers