XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

9 inch screen for your xj -VIDEO INSTALL

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 07:58 AM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Morning!

Can anyone please tell me what type of connector is used for the wifi adapter and the GPS receiver? I want to order an extension cable for placement purposes.

Thank You!

Old 11-05-2021, 11:55 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dennis black
i installed this screen in my x-type but its made for a s-type and xj heres my 4 part series
the s-type and xj dont have to modify anything its plug and play for you guys
purchased here https://www.canavie.com/s-jaguar

PART-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWkcRAAGu7o

PART-2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-iLGGBJtvQ

PART-3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLZ1BYyGT64

PART-4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTRzM8i5wwg

Wow! I need this in my 09 VDP. This may be silly question but can I assume an iphone works for bluetooth calls and music streaming. Are some features specific to Android?
Thanks.
Peter

Old 11-10-2021, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 326 Posts

Here's how to change boot image in the screen
How to create Jaguar boot animation and logo for your screen

Old 11-14-2021, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Old 11-14-2021, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member

you don't need a wifi adapter everything is built in and strong ,turn on on your hot spot and it works instantly or use a sim card like in my xf

Old 05-07-2022, 11:20 AM
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Sorry, I am yet to watch all the videos but I have a busy mother's day weekend. I will watch them later. FYI, my car is 2008 XJ8 with factory Nav and the base 8 speaker stereo (all speakers are in the doors). And I absolutely love this car and see no reason to upgrade and I would love for it to have better audio and better electronics.
  1. Does it come with a CD player? I don't have a changer in my car
  2. Does the radio accept HD radio?
  3. Does it come with RCA aftermarket amp outs?
  4. Does it work with the existing Jaguar Bluetooth phone?
  5. Does the nav need extra work out of the box or does it need special connections?
  6. Are steering wheel controls still available?
  7. Are heated/vented seats still working from the dash?
  8. Do you happen to have the specifications on the amplification section of the headunit? Can it run 2-ohm speakers for example?

Old 05-08-2022, 02:52 PM
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by pkoko
Sorry, I am yet to watch all the videos but I have a busy mother's day weekend. I will watch them later. FYI, my car is 2008 XJ8 with factory Nav and the base 8 speaker stereo (all speakers are in the doors). And I absolutely love this car and see no reason to upgrade and I would love for it to have better audio and better electronics.
  1. Does it come with a CD player? I don't have a changer in my car
  2. Does the radio accept HD radio?
  3. Does it come with RCA aftermarket amp outs?
  4. Does it work with the existing Jaguar Bluetooth phone?
  5. Does the nav need extra work out of the box or does it need special connections?
  6. Are steering wheel controls still available?
  7. Are heated/vented seats still working from the dash?
  8. Do you happen to have the specifications on the amplification section of the headunit? Can it run 2-ohm speakers for example?
Lots of good questions and you'll get some of the answers on the vendor's product lineup features lists. For these Jags there are very few choices to upgrade the HUs. My '04 XJR HU was starting to fail so my choice was either to buy a used factory original (didn't want that again) or go with this Tesla-style aftermarket HU, which I did. I strongly advise you to watch the videos for this HU (HU is from China) since there is ZERO installation literature in the box. Installation though is fairly intuitive and after watching several videos I decided I could do it. The HU comes with a below-par home screen launcher so I uploaded a custom launcher from CarwebGuru (tutorials on YouTube) and I'm able to make phone calls and play music thru BlueTooth. All my steering wheel functions are operational and after a little practice, the CarwebGuru user interface is pretty easy to navigate.

This is the CarwebGuru Launcher

The following users liked this post:
pkoko (05-08-2022)
Old 05-08-2022, 11:50 PM

If you don't mind me asking; other than the more modern screen\interface. Is this really a huge upgrade over the stock HU\Nav system assuming that it working as good as new? Other than being able to stream music & backup camera; I fail to see any major advantages to this setup. I also don't like losing my CD player (I don't mind burning CDs from my MP3 files) & outside temp. And I have been in contact with them via email and the lack of an instructions manual is really scaring me to attempt this install or ask a pro to do it. Have you done any other mods "audio" wise to your XJR? Has the sound quality improved in any way?

GermanXJ (11-28-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 06:23 PM

Well for me it was a no-brainer because I really love my XJR but the factory HU was an antique that really cramped my style. Every car I own has Android Auto and/or Bluetooth ( except the XJR) which provides a modern hands-free interface and some very useful apps. The sound quality is really good with the factory speakers so there was no need to upgrade but now I can play Spotify, Pandora, or any other music streaming (or podcast) app not to mention my own MP3 playlist (1000 songs) from my phone so it's basically an unlimited resource for music. And like you said, why keep using CD's when you can rip them to MP3 and play wireless Bluetooth? Also, if you just go with the installed launcher it has an Android Auto clone if you choose to go that way which uses the functionality of your phone on the display. But I personally chose a really slick and totally configurable CarwebGuru verticle launcher that works great. Either way, Google Maps, and Waze are leaps and bounds better than the factory NAV. I was a little concerned about the lack of documentation too but the videos on the forum convinced me I could do it anyway, which I did. The Jag HU came out very easily, and the installation of the new HU was even easier since the solid-state design is a lot thinner than the analog factory HU. The hardest part was routing the cable to the trunk where the new HU connects to the factory wiring. 2 USB connections are an added benefit too.

J.A.G. (05-10-2022)
Old 05-11-2022, 11:43 AM

I am not following here... Why do we need to connect any cables to the trunk if you don't have factory amps or CD changer? Also how good is the rearview camera?

Old 05-11-2022, 05:23 PM

I am not following here... Why do we need to connect any cables to the trunk if you don't have factory amps or CD changer? Also how good is the rearview camera?
Ah, good point, my XJR has the amp in the trunk. That really makes your job easier if the connections are all behind the console. As far as the camera is concerned, I didn't get one since I already have reverse and forward parking sensors but I believe you can opt for an HD camera. I have one in my F-type and it's crystal clear.

Old 05-11-2022, 06:27 PM

Did you run anything to the nav system? Did you install their nav GPS receiver? If so; where?

Old 06-19-2022, 10:33 AM

Sorry to bring an old thread up from the dead again but I am about to install this unit into my car which has factory nav but no Alpine audio. I will keep everyone posted if it works. my car has factory Bluetooth for phone; do I need to install the mic?

Does anyone know if the unit outputs more than 2 channels for an aftermarket amp? Also, I would appreciate it if someone could explain to me what all these RCAs are for? I am connecting the recording front Camera (which came with the kit) via USB FYI.

Thanks again

Old 06-19-2022, 05:48 PM

Complete fail. Nothing fits it is too small. The top piano black trim is wider than the screen. It can't be screwed on. There is a missing fiber optic connection from OEM HU that the new one has no place to input in. The box said it is for a S-type and it doesn't fit the X358. Steering wheel controls do not work. Only climate & radio work. Those who managed to make it fit in an X350. Where did you buy it from? Was it a plug and play install?

Old 06-21-2022, 07:04 AM

Complete fail. Nothing fits it is too small. The top piano black trim is wider than the screen. It can't be screwed on. There is a missing fiber optic connection from OEM HU that the new one has no place to input in. The box said it is for a S-type and it doesn't fit the X358. Steering wheel controls do not work. Only climate & radio work. Those who managed to make it fit in an X350. Where did you buy it from? Was it a plug and play install?

When I ordered the HU for my 04 XJR they followed up with an email requesting (again) my specific year/make/model. I responded with the information and soon after received the HU. I found that it fit perfectly into the existing opening while retaining the uppermost bezel that contains the seat heater controls. Even though it came with ZERO literature, I relied on some great posts that guided me throughout the installation process. There are many connectors on the new HU but not all of them are used however, the ones that are used are somewhat obvious for instance the connections to the steering wheel buttons. The nice thing is that you can also install third party launchers and aps to customize the display. I'm not an expert but was able to get a bit savvy by watching youtube videos and forum posts. It is imperative (IMHO) that you use those resources.

Old 06-21-2022, 07:31 AM

Quick update, I spoke with the seller and they informed me that they sent me the wrong unit. They sent one for an X-type instead. I am waiting for "correct" unit in the mail and will update.

They also told me the steering wheel controls need to be trained to the unit. I am tech savy so i am sure i can figuere it out.

To anyone considering this: taking the center console apart is 1.5-2 hr job if you have torx screws (T30, and T20 or T25). But you will need someone's help when you pull the big center console bezel. Compared to most modern cars; it is not hard at all. But with another person's aid; I could do it in 30-45 mins. There are plenty of good youtube videos.

I will keep you all updated and thanks to everyone on this forum.

Old 09-17-2022, 06:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XJ Tesla Style Screen

Hello, I've got one of these waiting to be fitted, it seems just about all here have premium Alpine sound system, my X350 has the bog standard 8 speaker factory system, I'm trying to get some good info on fitting one of these to a car with the standard system, Many Thanks
Oh I forgot to mention, although basic factory sound system it does have the 6 stack cd changers in the boot

Last edited by setter; 09-17-2022 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-20-2022, 07:00 PM

Well You're in luck because there's no need to extend the harness to the trunk. Everything you need is available on your factory HU and all you'll have to do is match up the connectors and transfer them to the new HU. That can be a bit challenging but not a show stopper. It really is an easy job and there are a few good videos that will help. Good luck!

setter (11-27-2022)
Old 09-21-2022, 09:01 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by russpe
Well You're in luck because there's no need to extend the harness to the trunk. Everything you need is available on your factory HU and all you'll have to do is match up the connectors and transfer them to the new HU. That can be a bit challenging but not a show stopper. It really is an easy job and there are a few good videos that will help. Good luck!
Has the installation been modified to not require running a loom to the boot?

setter (11-27-2022)
Old 09-23-2022, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by russpe
It depends if your car has the factory alpine amp. IMHO; I don't think it is necessary as the built-in amp in the HU is good enough even for 3 ohm speakers.

setter (11-27-2022)

Quick Reply: 9 inch screen for your xj -VIDEO INSTALL