XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

9 inch screen for your xj -VIDEO INSTALL

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2022, 07:17 AM
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Here is the issue. If you have the Alpine (or any other factory amp) in the trunk, you must use the extended cable (included) since the connector that you disconnect from the amp must now connect to the new HU. For that to happen, you need the extended cable to connect between the new HU and the (now disconnected) connector in the trunk. As for the new HU, I am not running an amplifier, the new HU has all the power I need. Not earth-shaking but loud and clear for sure. If I didn't have the amp located in the trunk, I'd say this was the easiest HU swap I've ever done.

Old 09-23-2022, 08:03 AM
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Just hear me out for a second. Doesn't the factory wiring harness near the center console connect to the speakers? The cable is very sick and IMHO the one hardest part of the installation.

Old 09-23-2022, 08:26 AM

Yes, I believe they do. In my case, the cable from the factory HU is connected to the Amp in the trunk, and then the Amp output connects to the speakers. So maybe I don't understand your problem but I would think that the (short) adapter cable that came with the new HU should provide the interface (speakers, power, etc) between the old (factory) HU connector and the new (9 inch) HU connector. I assume of course that an adapter was provided. Once again, in my case, the adapter was extended to reach the Amp in the trunk.

Old 09-24-2022, 11:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found what appears to be the same unit on Ali Express for 1/2 the price. Of course, I'm a bit suspicious. Any thoughts?

link to page

Old 09-25-2022, 07:01 AM

It looks the same but I'm not sure it is. You have to make absolutely sure that it's for your exact car and I will say the one I bought was a perfect fit. Maybe this one is too. That said, I think in this case I'd spend a little more and option it for more memory so that you can customize the home screen launcher and install additional apps. I think carwebguru launchers are way better than the one this comes with.

The following users liked this post:
davidlieb (09-25-2022)
Old 09-25-2022, 08:08 AM

make sure you buy the unit with most RAM & CPU cores. You are going to need them. The basic units are basically throw-aways (econ cars; they have the same hardware but a smaller screen. Think Chinese market midsize sedans etc) and have no place in a Jaguar.

davidlieb (09-25-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 07:03 AM
Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts

Have any of you guys had problems with your AC being intermittent? If I turn mine OFF, it still pops on-off-on-off,,,,,

& if I need HEAT, I have to set it to heat, turn the car off, & back on. Actually I have to do that either way sometimes.

What are y'alls CAN BUS set on? Mine only has a 2012 XJ. (It has a 2009 XF choice, but that's worse for me)

The Sound & look is fantastic, but the hvac thing is annoying, & my Seeding Steering wheel controls don't stay put either...

Old 10-07-2022, 07:12 AM

Same issue for me regarding the ON/OFF switch. I just set the fan to low and let the system adjust the temps automatically.

Old 10-07-2022, 07:22 AM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes this. Glad it's not just me

If I dare change the HVAC settings while rolling, it just starts to cycle up and down until I turn the car off and open the door at a light or something.

Old 10-07-2022, 07:57 AM

& just for some (maybe) more context,I also don't have a power amplified system.

What about you guys? & what is your CAN BUS set too?..

Old 10-07-2022, 07:58 AM

If I were to guess, I'd say that there is a mismatch between the Jaguar AC system and the firmware in your new HU since I have not seen any of these issues on my 2004 XJR. I followed the instructions provided by Dennis Black and he recommended the CANAVIE HU so I bought that one even though it may have cost a little more. I mentioned before that even after I ordered the new HU, they sent me a follow-up email requesting the exact year, make, and model of my Jag because of subtle differences in the OS from year to year. When I had a couple of installation questions they responded quickly even though they weren't very helpful. If you bought it from them, they may have some answers to your problems. Now full disclosure, I am not using the launcher provided by CANAVIE, I am using one I bought and downloaded from carwebguru because it was so much nicer looking on the verticle screen.

Old 10-07-2022, 08:13 AM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Think I purchased from a different supplier.
I actually have a broken foot right now, and haven't driven on weeks. I'll see if I can get disc there and see what the CANBUS setting is.

If you have the Canavie one working perfectly, I might consider redoing the job. May not be worth the effort.

Old 10-07-2022, 08:32 AM

It's not a launcher thing. I've always used Car Launcher (very similar to Carwebguru)

Maybe it is something with buying from Canavie vs ALI EXPRESS.

That's where I got mine from as well. They did ask for my specific model etc., before finalizing the order; I've been looking for MCU &/or CAN BUS updates but up no avail...

I love the unit otherwise. It sounds INCREDIBLE as I too have the 8 speaker system (had nav screen originally)

I just wish I could get the HVAC & Steering controls dialed in as it should be...

Old 10-07-2022, 08:50 AM

Well, it seems like you know what you're doing and I'm sure you double-checked the wiring connections. It would be nice to know if anyone else with your Jag had a good experience and if so maybe elaborate on the details of their product, source, and installation notes. I don't remember if there was a firmware label but if so maybe compare it to yours.

Marque (10-07-2022)
Old 11-27-2022, 10:02 PM
Default XJ Tesla Screen Install

This is a great thread guys, I have my new Tesla style screen and it's getting professionally installed next week, I've been trying to get info together for installer as there are no instructions with the unit (he says this is by no means unusual!) I have some vids but the best one has left YouTube (that'll be right!) this thread is incredibly helpful! For example I have the standard 8 spkr system with no amp in the boot, it has confirmed we don't need to run that long harness to the boot er sorry Trunk! 😆 Many Thanks Guys!

Old 11-27-2022, 10:09 PM
Default Many Thanks russpe for the good info👍

Originally Posted by russpe
Well You're in luck because there's no need to extend the harness to the trunk. Everything you need is available on your factory HU and all you'll have to do is match up the connectors and transfer them to the new HU. That can be a bit challenging but not a show stopper. It really is an easy job and there are a few good videos that will help. Good luck!
Many Thanks russpe Great info! Excellent!
Cheers ☺️

Old 11-28-2022, 01:21 AM
Default Dennis Black

Hello
I'm trying to contact Dennis Black, it seems Dennis you are no longer on YouTube? Are you still on this forum, I'm getting my Tesla screen fitted and to be able to contact you if possible would be most helpful, Cheers Mate ☺️

Old 12-06-2022, 04:26 AM
Default Exact Same problem

Originally Posted by yellowbandit
Yes this. Glad it's not just me

If I dare change the HVAC settings while rolling, it just starts to cycle up and down until I turn the car off and open the door at a light or something.
Yes a Professional started the installation, I got a phone call within half an hour asking me to come back, it was cycling on and off like crazy!
They asked me for more info and we wound up putting the "Dragdroid" back in for now which has also been less than successful!, I took the car home and and have been playing around with it all day, Everything thing seems to work fine until I go into the A/C page to change something then it starts messing about again, I just can't understand for the like of me why they didn't at least supply a user manual, the mob that started fitting it for me told me they've never had any luck with these cheap aftermarket head units! Cheap! The bloody thing cost me 1300 Australian Bux! I bought it through a mob called Tradetech based in Spain, despite all their promises I've not found particularly helpful! The most helpful has been Dennis Blackstock in the States, hopefully he can help me get it working, he seems to be the most knowledgeable, if not looks like 1300 Bux down the toilet? The "Dragdroid" cost me 1700 so that's 3 grand so far just to try and get the ability to Stream music, talk on hands free phone and use google maps etc 😭 Yet there seems to be a lot of people who have had great success with This unit and the Jagdroid! The project continues fingers crossedCheers mate, good luck with it all 🤞🤞🤞

Old 12-06-2022, 05:35 AM
Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Android Head Unit

Hi. I successfully installed virtually the same head unit in my 2004 XJ8, and it is functioning correctly, specifically the HVAC controls work exactly as they should. See the pictures below for reference; one of the Launcher, and one of the HVAC controls called up. Please forgive the amber tint; I have all amber LEDs installed in interior and they appear sorta orange in the pics.

I cannot speak to your specific issues, but here are some notes from my installation.
1. I totally and completely removed the old head unit and the peripheral devices. This included Dash head unit, Navigation DVD Player, 6 disc CD Changer, Amplifier, and Bluetooth Module. Note that if you need list by Jaguar part number, all the old stuff is up for sale on E**y, its listed under my user name.
2. I installed NOVA Launcher; I find it is the most user friendly and clean interface, personally I don't need all the flashy drivel from other launchers and prefer clean and simple.
3. Routing the interface cable to the point where it connects to amp output connector in trunk was hardest part; I did use the spot behind the "old" CATS suspension module (I have Arnott conversion, so it was surplus).
4. You will need the password to the "engineering" mode (or whatever they call System Settings) to enable English versus metric and some other odds n ends. On my unit 3368 got me in.
5. I do note that the CANBUS module reports itself as a rather ambiguous "2012 Jaguar XJL" under car type. Mine is a 2004 with a late 2003 build date.

I apologize for not getting pics of wiring, but I am electrical engineer - notorious for just winging it . However, if you have specific questions feel free to reply and/or PM me. I'll do my best to answer questions. Best Regards, CT.

setter (12-12-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 07:33 AM

A few things to note:

1) The unit is plug & play, especially if you DON'T have an amp, so it's not needed to have it "professionally" installed so to speak. It's very straight forward, even with no instructions.

2) it'd seems that the ones WITHOUT the amp (which don't require the long run to the rear) are the ones that DO have the HVAC issues (I'm one of those ones included) As the post above states, it lands on a 2012 XJL. I tried changing to other Canbus Models, & it's worse actually.

3) I've been in this forum for a lot of years, & have always been a tech savvy guy in relation to adding things to the car. I noticed Dennis Black 6 or more years ago, & of you go back thru some threads, you'll see that I say unapologetically that he NEVER answers post/questions/YouTube etc. & even if he replies, the answer is "usually not an answer".

Even on his videos, he never really shows (even even saying, "I'm going to show you on the next video) you how he installs anything. This is going back years ago when he & I were installing Android Tv Boxes in our cars. I did a whole thread step by step & mentioned that about his lack of explaining etc.

Anyways, point is,,,,,, you get the point! Hahaha

As for waiting on info for a fix, unfortunately there isn't 1. Maybe they'll release an MCU &/or Canbus Update at some point, but until then,,,,,,,,, 😕

I would like you know what the guys software/build number is of the ones that do have the HVAC correct, as well as ours (the ones that aren't working correctly)

I'll edit this post & post mine later...

setter (12-12-2022)

Quick Reply: 9 inch screen for your xj -VIDEO INSTALL