XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

ABS fault/DSC not available

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS fault/DSC not available

This warning message has just appeared on my dash board .. now ive heard this could be something as simple as a weak battery.. i had noticed that the headlamps get slightly brighter when the engine revs increase . Is that an indication of a weak battery? And could this cause the warning message to appear ? Worse case scenario what could be the problem and more importantly how much do you think it may cost me? Any help would be appreciated thanks

Old 03-02-2018, 11:05 PM
Received 2,626 Likes on 1,810 Posts

What is the age and condition of the battery? A failing or weak battery can cause all sorts of electrical 'gremlins'.

With the ignition in the OFF position for at least ten minutes, the voltage across the battery terminals should be at least 12.6 volts for the vehicle to function correctly. If there is less than 12.5 volts, the battery should be replaced.

Halfords, or one of the parts houses can test the battery for you if need be.

Old 03-03-2018, 04:33 AM
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

DSC is the dynamic stability control system, basically traction control, it uses the same sensors as the ABS system. Worst case scenario, it's a fault in the ABS/DSC system, anything from a dodgy sensor or broken wire to the actual modules, I had this and it turned out to be the left rear wheel sensor, which only cost about £30, took about 10 minutes to fit and did not even require the wheel to be removed. It's normally a sensor fault as they are on the hubs and get all sorts of muck and crap thrown at them, but that doesn't mean it's always as simple or as easy a fix as that. You need to get the codes read and that will pinpoint where the fault may be.

A low battery is a possible culprit, the electronics are very sensitive to voltage drops, I had all sorts of lights and messages pop up, including gearbox fault, all because I hadn't used the car for a week or so and the battery had dropped a couple of volts.

First, cheapest and easiest move is, as NBCat suggests, check the battery. But just remember some dodgy dealers and garages will tell you it's goosed even if it's just in need of a top up charge, and sell you a very expensive battery. So my advice is, if you can check it and it show up low, put it on an overnight charge, then see how it goes and check it again in a week or so, Most batteries have a "charge date" on them somewhere, these batteries can last over 10 years, so if it's anywhere near that, I would consider changing it anyway, I changed mine recently after a few lights and messages, it was the original factory battery and was just over 10 years old.

Old 03-03-2018, 04:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had battery checked at a mates garage he said the battery is fine .. the tester showed a slight drop but nowhere near the "replace now" level

Old 03-03-2018, 05:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

If these alarms appear at cold start-up but don't at a later warm start then that is a good indication of a weak battery. The electronics on the X350 seem to be particularly sensitive to battery condition, more so than most cars.

Old 03-03-2018, 02:37 PM
Received 171 Likes on 141 Posts

As you have checked the battery then I would suggest the wheel sensor as well, I also needed a new wheel sensor last year on mine, sorted the problem straight away.