XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

AC Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Compressor

I have a 2004 XJ8 it's been in the shop now going on 4 months! ARGGGG!
The reason it's been in the shop so long is because the AC was blowing hot. After doing some module swapping they found the main module circuit board was burnt and faulty. I'm in Hawaii, so parts take forever to get here. But now the tech feels like the compressor was once changed, and it may have been that the wrong compressor was installed. Apparently there are two types of compressors that were used in the 2004's. (a clutched and a clutch-less type.) The tech says he can't find anywhere that tells him which is the right model for my car, and feels that the clutch-less type is what supposed to be in there. Does anyone know which type of compressor came equipted in the 2004's, was there a time frame that 2004's switched to clutch-less? does it go by Vin #?.
Second why would it matter if it were a clutched or clutch-less compressor? Why would one type create a problem in the system?

Last edited by dovey16; 08-13-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

Download a copy of the JEPC (parts list)

That will give you your answer
Otherwise PM me your VIN and I will look it up for you

Cheers
34by151

Old 10-05-2013, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry New udate to my AC problem

I ordered the new A compressor, Thanks to 34by151 for forwarding the EPC page covering the AC components for my vin number. when the compressor came in, I noticed right away this one was different from the one that was in the car. First the mounting was different, then the new compressor did not have an electrical connector. I double checked the vin number, and the parts breakdown on the EPC. It was indeed the correct compressor. On the car, The mounting bracket will not lineup with the new compressor and there is a electrical plug on the car but there is no place to connect it to on the "new compressor", also the high and low pressure lines on the car will not fit the new compressor. But the main difference between the old and the new compressor is that the new compressor "does not have a clutch" the pulley s direct driven. The Tech and service manager told me that it looks like I will have to change "EVERY PART" on the AC system, and rebuild it from the ground up.
With the way the system is now, no voltage is coming from the module to turn on the compressor. The dealer ordered and installed a couple new modules, still no voltage. If they jumped (induced voltage)into the compressor the compressor does come on and the system works. After the tech changed a "few" modules, they noticed that according to the book, The correct compressor does not have an electrical connector and therefore should not need voltage to turn on the compressor. The tech and service manager said it looks like someone modified your compressor system. I said you really think someone, changed all the modules and temp sensors, ran new electrical wires and figured out how to run the wires from the module to the compressor, changed all the pressure lines, and compressor mounting brackets? just to have the system not work? I think this car is one of those cars that was built between years and just thrown together.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Can you clarify exactly which model you have.

A 2004 should be the aluminium-bodied X350 series of cars and my copy of the Technical Notes for mid-2003 says it is a clutchless compressor.

"The compressor is uniquely designed to suit the engine configuration and whether a 2-zone or 4-zone climate control system is installed. The compressor does not have a magnetic clutch, instead operation is continuous in response to a PWM signal supplied directly from the CCM to the compressor solenoid."

PWM= Pulse Width Modulation.
CCM - Climate Control Module

So there must be a wired connection to the compressor to work the solenoid that controls the swash plate pumpt to vary the output.

I would suggest you engage via e-mail with a reputable Jaguar supplier, (maybe a main agent - is there one in Hawaii ?). to find out what should be fitted to your car based on its VIN, (assuming the shop where you have the car has not done this already)