XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

ACC Not Working; ICarsoft v3.0; Mongoose?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2022, 02:51 PM
Received 128 Likes on 103 Posts
Default ACC Not Working; ICarsoft v3.0; Mongoose?

For years, I have been trying to fix "Cruise Control Not Working" error message with amber light on my 04 XJR.
I replaced the clockspring to no avail except that I now have a spare.
I have gotten a lot of excellent advice. I think the best is from 351x151 a while back:
​​​​"These are the codes associated with an amber light and "Cruise Not Available" message:P0566

P0567

P0568

P0569

P0570

P1697

The above all deal with bad steering wheel switches or a bad clock spring

P1571 Bad Brake light switch or relay

P1696 Can network failure or ASM module fail"

Using the ICarsoft V3.0, I get only the P111 message. Can I delete & have it scan again to pick up needed P code(s)? Otherwise, I get several U error codes when I do a "quick scan". The only relevant one seems to be in the anti-lock braking system scan: U2515 - Missing message for adaptive speed control.

Some have mentioned something called a mongoose cable. Is this added just to drive me crazier? Or, will it read the P Codes where my reader won't except for P111?

I think I could fix this if I can only get one or more of the aforementioned P Codes.

As always, your help much appreciated.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA!!

Old 07-04-2022, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts

Believe that being an option, has no effect on the way it runs.
Believe that the P 1111 code, means all the emission systems are a go

Old 07-04-2022, 05:42 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by 04Xjrsteve
For years, I have been trying to fix "Cruise Control Not Working" error message with amber light on my 04 XJR.
I replaced the clockspring to no avail except that I now have a spare.
I have gotten a lot of excellent advice. I think the best is from 351x151 a while back:
​​​​"These are the codes associated with an amber light and "Cruise Not Available" message:P0566

P0567

P0568

P0569

P0570

P1697

The above all deal with bad steering wheel switches or a bad clock spring

P1571 Bad Brake light switch or relay

P1696 Can network failure or ASM module fail"

Using the ICarsoft V3.0, I get only the P111 message. Can I delete & have it scan again to pick up needed P code(s)? Otherwise, I get several U error codes when I do a "quick scan". The only relevant one seems to be in the anti-lock braking system scan: U2515 - Missing message for adaptive speed control.

Some have mentioned something called a mongoose cable. Is this added just to drive me crazier? Or, will it read the P Codes where my reader won't except for P111?

I think I could fix this if I can only get one or more of the aforementioned P Codes.

As always, your help much appreciated.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA!!

Get ACC rebuilt or replace it, meaning the radar unit behind the front bumper.... if it's bad no Cruise and permanent message on dash.

Old 07-04-2022, 05:51 PM

Thanks.

So, If the ACC unit is out, I shouldn't look for a code to confirm? Or, has the info I've provided (no p codes with error message & no cruise control) enough?

Old 07-04-2022, 06:12 PM
Old 07-04-2022, 08:27 PM

I don't believe so.

2W93-9AA12-BE

Old 07-04-2022, 08:29 PM

Thanks.

So, If the ACC unit is out, I shouldn't look for a code to confirm? Or, has the info I've provided (no p codes with error message & no cruise control) enough?
You need Jaguar Diagnostic Software to capture the ACC code, which will either be a "B" body or "C" chassis prefix.

Not "P" powertrain related, which most scanners pick up...

Old 07-24-2022, 05:00 PM

The two pictures are of the "Control Module Adaptive Cruise Control" Part# 2W93-9AA12-B
It appears to have been superseded by:

C2C23960

https://www.suburbanautoparts.com/oem-parts/jaguar-control-module-c2c23960

There are 3 #10 alum alloy nuts holding the aluminum part of the unit. There is also another plastic shield right next to the unit. Will the 3 nuts remove the unit?

I will search the manual for removal, rebuild, & reinstall directions. Any word for the wise from someone having done this? I know one of you kind enough to respond on another thread, found corroded pins. From the outside the plug & everything looks as clean as a whistle.

There are new ones from 2700 - 4K; used are much less.​​​​​​

Old 07-24-2022, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 853 Posts

find somebody local to unfit the option. it takes 30 minutes if you know how to do it

Last edited by xalty; 07-24-2022 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-24-2022, 07:13 PM

Thanks, Zalty. Please translate.

Old 07-24-2022, 07:23 PM

Old 07-24-2022, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member

you need somebody to modify the vehicle configuration and then reprogram the ECM. the issue is you need somebody with a specific software setup that might not be available locally. the dealer 100% can’t do this for you

alternatively you can get a used ecm from an 04 xjr, write down the last 6 of the VIN, and then do a quick and dirty swap with my loaner tool.

Old 07-24-2022, 09:09 PM
Received 8,179 Likes on 4,934 Posts

You will need to modify the VID block (not for the 'faint-of-heart') so the network will not 'look for' the radar unit.

Whatever you do, DOWNLOAD AND SAVE THE CURRENT VID BLOCK BEFORE CONFIGURING ANYTHING.
If the VID block becomes CORRUPTED you can at least go back to what you have.
When in new car warranty, the VID block got 'screwed-up' we could download and send it to the Jaguar engineers for correction. They would email back the 'repaired' VID block and we would upload back to the car.

good luck.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
T2003XK.pdf (4.47 MB, 66 views)
VID_Block_Manager_install.pdf (17.3 KB, 38 views)
VID_Block_Manager_usage.pdf (337.5 KB, 38 views)
The following users liked this post:
Sochi2014 (07-26-2022)
Old 07-24-2022, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by motorcarman
You will need to modify the VID block (not for the 'faint-of-heart') so the network will not 'look for' the radar unit.

Whatever you do, DOWNLOAD AND SAVE THE CURRENT VID BLOCK BEFORE CONFIGURING ANYTHING.
If the VID block becomes CORRUPTED you can at least go back to what you have.
When in new car warranty, the VID block got 'screwed-up' we could download and send it to the Jaguar engineers for correction. They would email back the 'repaired' VID block and we would upload back to the car.

good luck.
dummy proof method is to save old the VID to disc, slap a used ECM in it run immobilization and just assume the donor's identity.

Old 07-24-2022, 09:43 PM
Received 8,179 Likes on 4,934 Posts

I don't live in a 'non-attainment' area for emission testing so I don't know if the VIN will show up as a mismatch when the ECM is 'interrogated' during gov't testing or is that even 'a thing?

I would hate to live in a city and have my car fail because the VIN did not match the car?

Old 07-24-2022, 09:56 PM

Motorcarman & Xalty, I don't know what you boys are drinken, but I'll have a double! This Lagavulen pales by comparison!

Old 07-25-2022, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts

Believe what is said;
Is that you want to store the current information.
Just incase things go wrong, you can start over, no harm done.

Old 07-25-2022, 09:49 AM

Thanks, Wingrider! My wife tells me that my sarcasm sometimes sends the wrong message &, I think, she is correct!

I am infinitely grateful for each response & I take them each very seriously. This forum has added immense satisfaction as I have been able to accomplish so much with my wonderful xjr that would be impossible without it.

Motorcarman & Xalty have taken my inquiry to a totally different level - one I didn't even know existed! I'm leaning towards leaving things as they are especially since I almost never use ACC. If I should decide to fix it, it sounds as though the dealer is the most efficient option.

However, I still have several questions about this ACC problem. After I have read each of the documents kindly sent, etc., if I pursue further, I will start a new thread. My original purpose was to see if I could remove the part, inspect it for damage, replace it without too much hassle as one member did after fixing some corroded pins. Thanks to the feedback, I now realize that I can't just get a new unit. Mercifully, my state, commie as it is, has stopped requiring emissions inspections, so, that is no longer a variable to be considered.

Thanks again for all of the great responses! Carpe Diem! Steve

Old 07-25-2022, 09:55 AM

An aside & a subject for another thread:
If there are any U.S. lawyers listening, I would be curious to know their thoughts on the SCOTUS ruling known as "Right to Repair". Jags proprietary BS seems to be a violation. While I am generally not a fan of consumer class actions, I would love to see some enterprising U.S. Constitutional lawyer take Jag on over this.... But, as I said, the subject for another day.

Old 07-25-2022, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 281 Posts

An aside & a subject for another thread:
If there are any U.S. lawyers listening, I would be curious to know their thoughts on the SCOTUS ruling known as "Right to Repair". Jags proprietary BS seems to be a violation. While I am generally not a fan of consumer class actions, I would love to see some enterprising U.S. Constitutional lawyer take Jag on over this.... But, as I said, the subject for another day.
I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding of the Right to Repair is that car manufacturers can't force you to use their dealer services to fix the vehicles. That means they provide the diagnostic tool access via subscription (SDD) and sell any other special tools, but they do not have to provide training nor make their code open source. So in reality, it doesn't make it any cheaper to repair. A non-dealer shop that specializes in Jags may be able to buy the tools and fix these issues. And/or another tool manufacturer can make a scan tool that performs equivalent functions, but note this is also not freely available.

To summarize the previous threads: the suggestion is to remove the ACC option from the ECM instead of repairing/replacing the actual radar module (i.e. the ECM will think it's a base model without ACC). That requires dealer level programming tools, whether it's something you can do yourself or need an independent to do is the question.

Jag dealers will be limited to fixing the cars per factory instructions. So a dealer repair will be to replace the OEM radar module at the $8k cost (or whatever list price is)... If they will even service a car of our age anymore.

An indy shop will have more leeway to perform an alternate repair, but competency will vary greatly.

Quick Reply: ACC Not Working; ICarsoft v3.0; Mongoose?