XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

ACC Not Working; ICarsoft v3.0; Mongoose?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 03:09 PM
Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Thanks, MHamilton! Yes, removing the error message makes sense; somehow, I missed that point completely! At this point, I've lost all interest in fixing ACC unless it is the brake light or some other simple switch.

I've wasted enough of everyone's time on this for now. I think I'll put it away for another 6 years; regrettably, they'll go by quicker than we want!

Old 07-25-2022, 08:18 PM
Received 8,104 Likes on 4,889 Posts

I'm sure if you repair the unit, it will function as normal.
A good-used will likely work fine.

My concern was with configuring the car to accept a NON-Automatic speed control without saving the original VID block.

Old 07-26-2022, 03:05 AM
Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

I encountered this problem a couple of years ago on another 2004 XJ. It transpired that those first X350's used a different sensor system than 2005 onwards cars (from memory early cars had everything contained in the one component, whereas later cars used two separate parts). I tried to get my unit repaired unsuccessfully and tried everything to get the system working (not that I was bothered about the lack of ACC but because it also disabled the normal cruise control). Eventually I purchased a used ECU from a car of the same vintage and spec (except no ACC), fitted same and, using SDD, programmed the used unit to my car - problem solved. Worth bearing the aforementioned in mind if buying an early X350 with ACC - if there's no cruise available (warning on dash) consider walking away unless you are prepared to change the ECU (Used early units are very rare and have been unavailable from Jaguar for some time and, when they were available, were around £2,000 GBP !!)

Old 07-26-2022, 09:58 AM
Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Thanks, Motorcarman & CaptainQ. This is starting to make sense even to me.
When schedule permits, I hope to study manual for removal & inspection procedure; will likely be several months.
Before I start, will take car to dealer; if it hasn't gone up, they will run the codes for $150.00 + 10% tax.
I've already installed a new clockspring only to find that there was nothing wrong with the original.
I noticed that some sellers have a core charge for the unit; hence it must be repairable. I was quite gratified many years ago when, thanks to Bagpiping Andy in Scotland, when I was able to successfully rebuild the compressor for the suspension system. If the radar needs to be replaced and rebuilding is an option, that would be my first choice.

Old 07-26-2022, 12:41 PM
Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
You will need to modify the VID block (not for the 'faint-of-heart') so the network will not 'look for' the radar unit.

Whatever you do, DOWNLOAD AND SAVE THE CURRENT VID BLOCK BEFORE CONFIGURING ANYTHING.
If the VID block becomes CORRUPTED you can at least go back to what you have.
When in new car warranty, the VID block got 'screwed-up' we could download and send it to the Jaguar engineers for correction. They would email back the 'repaired' VID block and we would upload back to the car.

good luck.
Oh! Thank you very much for this priceless info, motorcarman! Seriosly, I almost gave up trying to fix my VID block. Do you have this app (vid block manager) to share?

I have ECM swapped some time ago after diving due to cloged drain and chasing afterwards some gremlins in CAN network as well as ACC problem. But at some stage someone from those who tried to fix it added "standard cruise control" I guess from dealer options in IDS/SDD. I found my old VID block from original ECM in some very old sessions on laptop and it seams ACC is properly programmed there. I also found a guy on X100 section of the forum who did the same mistake but he never replied how he managed to open VID block editor function in SDD in addition to read. I used engeneering code VID_BLOCK_EDITOR from vehcom.com but without success.

Old 07-27-2022, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 851 Posts

Originally Posted by Sochi2014
Oh! Thank you very much for this priceless info, motorcarman! Seriosly, I almost gave up trying to fix my VID block. Do you have this app (vid block manager) to share?

I have ECM swapped some time ago after diving due to cloged drain and chasing afterwards some gremlins in CAN network as well as ACC problem. But at some stage someone from those who tried to fix it added "standard cruise control" I guess from dealer options in IDS/SDD. I found my old VID block from original ECM in some very old sessions on laptop and it seams ACC is properly programmed there. I also found a guy on X100 section of the forum who did the same mistake but he never replied how he managed to open VID block editor function in SDD in addition to read. I used engeneering code VID_BLOCK_EDITOR from vehcom.com but without success.
if you have an old IDS or WDS when it asks you if the vehicle config is correct just say “no”, change the speed control to what you want and then reprogram the ECM.

it carries the “as-built” VIDs for most cars until about the middle of 08, any later and you’re outta luck.

Last edited by xalty; 07-27-2022 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-27-2022, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by xalty
if you have an old IDS or WDS when it asks you if the vehicle config is correct just say “no”, change the speed control to what you want and then reprogram the ECM.

it carries the “as-built” VIDs for most cars until about the middle of 08, any later and you’re outta luck.
That would be very easy I tried this many times but afterwards read the manual. The problem is that VID in ECM can be programmed only once when vid is empty when new for example or corrupted somehow. If you try to program ECM as new which already has vid IDS will skip it and flash only calibration file. ECM configuration area in VID block can be modified only per bytes when you flash new options. Thus to change standard cruise option to adaptive you need such option in IDS which doesn't exist - one way ticket Second problem is that I have now two VINs in system which I guess blocks any operations with VID block Thus I pray on vid block manager now which probably allow me to download vid block directly to ECM ignoring all IDS security algorithms

Old 07-27-2022, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member

Thus to change standard cruise option to adaptive you need such option in IDS which doesn't exist - one way ticket
it does

you're using crippled legacy IDS that comes with SDD

Last edited by xalty; 07-27-2022 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-28-2022, 07:13 AM

VID block info.
The VID Block Manager can not be uploaded to this post because it is not a compatible file.
It is a compressed type file so it will need to go directly to a file sharing site or email.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
VID_Block_Manager_install.pdf (17.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: pdf
VID_Block_Manager_usage.pdf (337.5 KB, 38 views)
Old 07-28-2022, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member

VBM doesn't do anything except make a folder \Session\XXXXXX (last 6 of your VIN) on the drive you selected.

I know a guy who can manually rewrite\restore broken VIDs if you need I can give him a message. Open the block read app, from there you go to your external drive letter, open the edited VID then it will say "changes have been made do you wish to update?". After it's done I don't know if you need to go back into your session and program ECM as new to change cruise or if it's one and done like that

I've never had to do it this way because old IDS and WDS can just edit it for me. With newer tools you need to get creative.

Last edited by xalty; 07-28-2022 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-28-2022, 06:21 PM

it does

Can you share a proper IDS then?

Old 07-28-2022, 06:28 PM

I've never had to do it this way because old IDS and WDS can just edit it for me. With newer tools you need to get creative.
I suspected that with non stable operation when you start IDS by tabman app from the folder.

Old 07-28-2022, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member

Can you share a proper IDS then?
first buy a real gna600/vcm and then some people on here can help you out with the software. you might have trouble getting one because of your location.

if you want to try to change it via VID block special app I can send the guy a message and see if he can edit it for you.

Last edited by xalty; 07-28-2022 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-29-2022, 01:38 PM

first buy a real gna600/vcm and then some people on here can help you out with the software. you might have trouble getting one because of your location.
I have two One is original with wifi card from ex Ford dealer another one is proper clone from LR dealer. But I use mangoose as see no difference and more convinient
if you want to try to change it via VID block special app I can send the guy a message and see if he can edit it for you.
I appreciate it a lot

Old 07-30-2022, 09:00 AM

The VID block editor is in the folder with IDS 118.5 that is on my google drive account.
The file is "VID_Block wXP.zip"

I sent you a PM with a request and invitation. check your inbox.

Old 08-10-2022, 11:46 AM

it does

Unfortunately

Old 08-10-2022, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member

Unfortunately
it is not in that menu

when you first enter vin it will ask you to READ configuration from the vehicle. say NO. then it will pull up the VCATS as-built information and ask if it is correct. now scroll down and change standard speed control to adaptive + other relevant options that may have been retrofitted by dealer.

now you have edited VID block for that specific session. it is the what IDS will use to rebuild the block when flashing a new ECM.

Last edited by xalty; 08-10-2022 at 04:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
motorcarman (08-10-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 06:05 PM

it is the what IDS will use to rebuild the block when flashing a new ECM.
Key note here is EMPTY vid block when flashing new ECM. If you flash ECM second time "as new" it doesn't always work. At least for me, at least for Adaptive cruise option - byte 27 in ECM configuration field of VID block always stays filled by 48 value (standard cruise). 48 is there because of some incompetent indy. Factory bulletin says of manual VID block direct editing when method 1 doesnt work

Old 08-13-2022, 02:48 PM

I'm to thank dear xalty for not leaving me with my issue. Shortly, he re-checked personally what he sugested finding it doesn't work as it should. But he tried to find another solution and sugested to try it. And that worked perfect! Moreover it gave more bonus) I wish him all the best and all the jaguarforums community and personally motorcarman who supplied me with proper software. Thank you very much, gentlemen!

The following users liked this post:
motorcarman (08-14-2022)
Old 09-19-2023, 05:16 PM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Put VID Block Manager to Password protected .zip and send here with password, pleaese

Originally Posted by motorcarman
VID block info.
The VID Block Manager can not be uploaded to this post because it is not a compatible file.
It is a compressed type file so it will need to go directly to a file sharing site or email.
Go here and make account - upload all the Jaguar files / DiskImages for good. Stop using MEgaNwhatever services, mmmkay ;-)

https://archive.org/create/

Last edited by tlindi; 09-19-2023 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Fixed upload link

Quick Reply: ACC Not Working; ICarsoft v3.0; Mongoose?