Achy Brakey Heart

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 08:50 PM
DB6
ud
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Achy Brakey Brake Pedal

So,
Got my new master cylinder in, did multiple bleeds, new rotors, new pads, no loss of fliuid, all looks good....but not sure if I am just getting paranoid and over thinking and worrying but..
even though I can stop the car on it's headlights; the pedal travel after an initial stop can be pushed down lower than I remember ( or maybe not).
It is odd that the brakes work so well but that the pedal can still feel soft and travel on a little after the stop.
I wonder if any one else can tell me that after a stop they can still push the pedal a little lower toward the floor?
I am not talking big distances here but...?

PS, I have talked to a few Jag techs on this and they do say that the pedal on this model can feel soft and that the system can be a total bitch to bleed after breaking in to the system.
Thanks for any insight.

Last edited by DB6; 03-27-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:03 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,910 Likes on 3,212 Posts

DB6, some vehicles can have a softer pedal feel. From what you are describing, you are feeling what is normal. If you were pushing the pedal all the way to the floor, then I would see a problem. But, from what you are describing, you are getting great braking ability and still able to push the pedal down slightly afterwards. Thinking about the other vehicles I own, they all experience this same thing. Keep in mind that brake fluid is slightly compressible and that you can always squeeze it a bit more. But, that is controlled by how hard you are pressing on the pedal.

The only thing that I could possibly recommend is to alter how you are bleeding the brakes. What I personally do is get about 4 feet of tubing and run it from the bleeder port up to the bottom edge of the wheel well (tape the hose in place) and then down to the ground to my collection cup. What this does is places about a 2 foot column of fluid that air has to fight through to get back into the caliper. It also makes for a nice high point for the air to collect. That way you can tell if you are getting any more air out of the system. But, as long as you are not seeing the level drop in the brake reservior and the brakes are maintaining their same feeling, I would call it good.

The following users liked this post:
DB6 (03-26-2011)
Old 03-26-2011, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by DB6
So,
Got my new master cylinder in, did multiple bleeds, new rotors, new pads, no loss of fliuid, all looks good....but not sure if I am just getting paranoid and over thinking and worrying but..
even though I can stop the car on it's headlights; the pedal travel after an initial stop can be pushed down lower than I remember ( or maybe not).
It is odd that the brakes work so well but that the pedal can still feel soft and travel on a little after the stop.
I wonder if any one else can tell me that after a stop they can still push the pedal a little lower toward the floor?
I am not talking big distances here but...?

PS, I have talked to a few Jag techs on this and they do say that the pedal on this model can feel soft and that the system can be a total bitch to bleed after breaking in to the system.
Thanks for any insight.
Maybe you can counteract this by adjusting the pedals closer?

Old 03-27-2011, 02:57 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

at least there wasn't a video clip attached to this thread, I shudder the thought of what might have been...

your title didn't stir any 'technical' merit when I first saw it, almost didn't even click on it, for the ^^above^^ reason; you may have lost some other member interest by trying too hard for a play-on-words in this case. I hope I'm wrong and you can get some replies.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:04 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I hope you're wrong too, h20boy.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:32 PM
Pop
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may also try the way I do it, add some fluid into your cathch cup and put a tube from your bleeder to your catch cup and as you bleed it watch for air bubbles in your catch cup. some small amounts of air will work itself out as you drive sonds like you got it done.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

My experience with my last car, a Rover 75, was that the pedal can feel spongy initially even if bled perfectly whilst the pads wear in. This can take up to 250 miles and the pedal eventually firms up. It did for me.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:49 PM
DB6
ud
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default and on it goes

Well, after multiple bleeds the pedal still does not feel right, can still push pedal further that it used to go.
On Tuesday I am having a total power flush followed by a conventional manual bleed, next step might be to put on yet another master cylinder as this one could be defective ( a long shot I know but is is posible).
Everything else seems to be in good order, no sign of contaminated fluid causing further damage; but who knows...I know that the Jaguar dealers will only change out a complete brake system when any contamination occurs, but everything else is spot on apart from the pedal feel, wracking my brain trying to figure out what else could give me this problem?

This is getting to be a very annoying and expensive goof.