XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

ACM unit not working!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ACM unit not working!

Hello,

Can anyone help me with this please? my acm used to work perfectly until this morning. I press the CDC button and the message I get on my screen is "No Disc". This just happened suddently, I tried few times again but never worked.

Regards

Old 07-31-2013, 07:11 PM
Received 184 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by alghawia
Hello,

Can anyone help me with this please? my acm used to work perfectly until this morning. I press the CDC button and the message I get on my screen is "No Disc". This just happened suddently, I tried few times again but never worked.

Regards
No specifics about your Jaguar model, mileage, or age in your 'garage', your sig, or your post... so..

All I can offer from reports of friends and family is that Saudi's extreme temperatures and largish day/night swings of same probably shorten the life of MOST electronics gear vis more temperate parts of the world.

Humidity, OTOH, I suppose you would have to have shipped-in...

The following users liked this post:
alghawia (08-01-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

Have you tried turning the car off, and making sure the switch on the acm unit (the one with the blue light) is set to the ON position, then restarting the car?

alghawia (08-01-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Thermite
No specifics about your Jaguar model, mileage, or age in your 'garage', your sig, or your post... so..

All I can offer from reports of friends and family is that Saudi's extreme temperatures and largish day/night swings of same probably shorten the life of MOST electronics gear vis more temperate parts of the world.

Humidity, OTOH, I suppose you would have to have shipped-in...

I'm sorry Thermite, the car is Jaguar 2008 XJL, have for around 3 years now. Where I live by the coast we suffer from both heat and humidity, one one can survive this Saudi weather .

Is there anything I could do to check to conclude that is a total electronics failure?

Regards

Old 07-31-2013, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
Have you tried turning the car off, and making sure the switch on the acm unit (the one with the blue light) is set to the ON position, then restarting the car?
Yes I did, but still nothing has improved yet. Thanks a lot.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:28 AM

I'm sorry Thermite, the car is Jaguar 2008 XJL, have for around 3 years now. Where I live by the coast we suffer from both heat and humidity, one one can survive this Saudi weather .
My late Dad survived it long enough to build the newish B-36-capable runways at Dhahran in the early 1950's. Thermals were quite the engineering challenge with the asphaltic concrete paving materials of that era.

Is there anything I could do to check to conclude that is a total electronics failure?

Regards
Could be wrong, but ISTR that Jaguar used a Philips unit - a 'commodity' electronics item in any case.

We've had several of these changers fail in our family - generally with the same symptoms, and even indoors & air-conditioned. Latest one failed in my Brother's Malibu just a month ago in Virginia's rather milder weather.

Any electronics shop that services them 'in general' - residential OR mobile - can give you an idea as to any tricks for recovering the CD's, plus confirm or dispute that it needs to be taken out.

In his case, the GM dealer quoted about what the whole car was worth to get it out and a replacement into place, so he just abandoned the CD's and tuned-in an FM station.

In YOUR case, an upgrade to more rugged MP3 or such with USB or memcard and loading the choice of tunes whilst in an air-conditioned residence could make more sense.

alghawia (08-01-2013)
Old 08-01-2013, 05:34 AM

My late Dad survived it long enough to build the newish B-36-capable runways at Dhahran in the early 1950's. Thermals were quite the engineering challenge with the asphaltic concrete paving materials of that era.

Could be wrong, but ISTR that Jaguar used a Philips unit - a 'commodity' electronics item in any case.

We've had several of these changers fail in our family - generally with the same symptoms, and even indoors & air-conditioned. Latest one failed in my Brother's Malibu just a month ago in Virginia's rather milder weather.

Any electronics shop that services them 'in general' - residential OR mobile - can give you an idea as to any tricks for recovering the CD's, plus confirm or dispute that it needs to be taken out.

In his case, the GM dealer quoted about what the whole car was worth to get it out and a replacement into place, so he just abandoned the CD's and tuned-in an FM station.

In YOUR case, an upgrade to more rugged MP3 or such with USB or memcard and loading the choice of tunes whilst in an air-conditioned residence could make more sense.
Oh Dhahran is where I actually work, I live about 25 miles down from Dhahran. Ambient temperature has been always a major factor in degrading selection of equipment and material.

Thanks a lot for your inputs Thermite, today I managed to fix the ACM by Reseting the device. It's one of those you need a paperclip to press.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:40 AM

... today I managed to fix the ACM by Reseting the device. It's one of those you need a paperclip to press.
Thanks,

If you could post a photo of the front of that unit, plus a close-up of where that straightened paperclip needs to be inserted and any other relevant 'tricks' to it, I'm sure the next victim would appreciate it...

alghawia (08-01-2013)
Old 01-02-2014, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks,

If you could post a photo of the front of that unit, plus a close-up of where that straightened paperclip needs to be inserted and any other relevant 'tricks' to it, I'm sure the next victim would appreciate it...
I have looked and looked and I can't find a reset button. Is it possible, early models of the ACM didn't have a reset button?

Old 01-03-2014, 03:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

Doubtful.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

There is no button. Do you have the paper work for the ACM?

The reset is a small hole in the side of the plastic box. It's hard to see if you know where it is and impossible if you don't. It will take a paperclip to push it.

Get a strong flash light and look at the ACM box. On the top will be the blue light and the switch along with the RCA plugs. Along the larger side is a very small hole.

See if this picture will help?

Attached Thumbnails ACM unit not working!-acm-mounted-console.jpg  
anindyam (01-03-2014)