XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

ACM User Interface needs improvement...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009 | 12:19 PM
|
Default ACM User Interface needs improvement...

I just had an ACM installed in my '08 XJ and I find that Jaguar missed the boat here. They used their development efforts to emulate a CD changer and completely disregarded the user - who would llike to see an IPod or MP3 player-like interface on the touchscreen. I know the info is available - especially for the USB port.

Does anyone know of a firmware upgrade (or plans for one) for the Audio Connectivity Module User Interface? I would imagine not, what with this generation XJ coming to a close.

Although a Jaguar solution would be best (or a viable aftermarket vendor next) - as an electrical engineer/software consultant, I would be willing to work on this. Of course, only if there was a source for reliable information to proceed.

Anyone's thoughts?

Old 06-02-2009 | 06:19 PM

I think the UI on the touch screen is generated by the DVD nav system. You could try to reverse engineer the software and make it talk to a different (more intelligent) iPod adapter. The ACM adapter itself is not terribly intelligent. Not a weekend project.

Another route would be to intercept the video signals that go to the screen - there is a module that can do this, but requires some cable splicing. The problem is how to switch back to the original display signal - you'll need to be able to read some of the buttons on the front display.

You can get the electrical diagrams from jaguartechinfo.com - they are not very detailed but can get you started.

On the software side I can volunteer some services as well. The ACM is made by DICE Electronics (http://www.diceelectronics.com/). It's not advertized on their main web site, but they have a page with firmware updates for the Jag ACM.