XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Adaptive Cruise Control Failure Your Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 09:06 AM
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Adaptive Cruise Control Failure Your Thoughts?

Getting ready to dig into the ACC failure I am experiencing. Error displayed is "Cruise Not Available" immediately upon startup.

After driving the wife's minivan cross-state the other day, I really need to get this fixed ... soonest. One of those 'you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone' stories, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, the service manual p.316 says:

Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) Failure

WARNING: It is the drivers responsibility to slow the vehicle down when the 'DRIVER INTERVENE' message is displayed in the message center. Failure to follow this instruction may result in personal injury.

CAUTION: It is the drivers responsibility to slow the vehicle down when the 'DRIVER INTERVENE' message is displayed in the message center. Failure to follow this instruction may result in damage to the vehicle.

If a fault occurs during the operation of the ACC system in 'CRUISE' or 'FOLLOW' modes, the ACC system will switch off and cannot be used until the fault is cleared. The message 'DRIVER INTERVENE' will be displayed briefly in the message center followed by the message 'CRUISE NOT AVAILABLE'. If failure of the ACC or any related system occurs at any other time the message 'CRUISE NOT AVAILABLE' will be displayed and it will not be possible to active the ACC system. Accumulated debris, dirt, snow or ice on the ACC sensor or it's cover may inhibit the ACC operation. Fitting of a vehicle front protector or metallized badges may also affect ACC operation. If this occurs and audible warning will sound and the message 'DRIVER INTERVENE' will be briefly displayed in the message center followed by the message 'ACC SENSOR BLOCKED'. This will render the ACC system inactive.

There is no blocked sensor or message indicating such. Simply "Cruise Not Available."

It appears that under some circumstances the ACC design prohibits use until the error code is cleared. Without a body code reader, I'm not sure what code might be generating my failure, so I'm running blind here as to whether it is a code the must be cleared or that it clears itself with a vehicle restart as do many other codes.

Anyway I guess I'm someone can point me toward a solution.

I've also noticed a place locally selling ACC control boxes on eBay for what seems a reasonable price. If I need to grab one, I want to do so before they are gone.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:39 AM
Received 13,086 Likes on 6,519 Posts

Originally Posted by RCSnyder
Getting ready to dig into the ACC failure I am experiencing. Error displayed is "Cruise Not Available" immediately upon startup.

Hi Bob,

There is a very long list of issues that can cause the Cruise Not Available condition, from wheel speed sensors to brake switches to CAN link communication disruption to ACC module failure, so you're going to have to have the proprietary Jaguar codes scanned in order to have any idea of what is causing the problem.

Our '04 XJR had the Cruise Not Available warning on when we bought it last August, and I've only recently set up JLR SDD diagnostic software on a laptop so I can interrogate the system myself. Our car has four codes stored relative to this issue, C1292, C1293, B1342 and U1262. I've ensured that the ACC module is level per the manual (the C1293 code), and I've cleaned all the grounds, but the code reappears. I haven't yet been able to prioritize sorting out the other codes, too many more urgent issues on other vehicles. But I hope to get this solved sooner rather than later. I agree that cruise is a feature that spoils us.

Let us know when you get the codes scanned and we'll try to help.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 06-19-2014 at 11:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AD2014 (06-22-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi Bob,

...and I've only recently set up JLR SDD diagnostic software on a laptop so I can interrogate the system myself.

I'm curious about your diagnostic tool(s). Guessing the body codes are unique to the make, model and year, and take special software.

Looks like I eBay might be a good source ... from across the pond.

What might you recommend?

Bob
Liberty MO

Old 06-20-2014, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 754 Likes on 632 Posts

There is a good chance it could be a wheel sensor.

I suggest you take them out,clean them,check wiring and any exposed

connectors.Have a look at the reluctor rings while you are there.

Start with the front nearside wheel.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:46 PM

I'm curious about your diagnostic tool(s). Guessing the body codes are unique to the make, model and year, and take special software.

Bob, Check your private messages.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:49 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"Cruise Not Available." -- I have the same idiot light warning now coming up, along with "Check rear brakes". If I turn off the car, remove the key and restart, everything resets and is fine .....for a while. Then it starts again.

Dealer scan reveals a defective brake sensor module that will be replaced tomorrow

Old 07-07-2014, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Boomersaurus
"Cruise Not Available." -- I have the same idiot light warning now coming up, along with "Check rear brakes". If I turn off the car, remove the key and restart, everything resets and is fine .....for a while. Then it starts again.

Dealer scan reveals a defective brake sensor module that will be replaced tomorrow

Hi Boomersaurus,

Please report back to us after the brake sensor module is replaced. The ACC system is disabled when any of many systems shows a fault (engine, transmission, anti-lock brakes, wheel speed sensors, etc.), so hopefully replacing the sensor will restore your ACC operation.

Please let us know!

Cheers,

Don

Old 07-07-2014, 02:23 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

This is what my recent scan found last month. My first ACC error began with a 'Cruise Not Available' while driving the car. It did not occur at startup.

I'm not really sure what the issue was, but the next time I started and drove the car, the ACC was functioning normally...and proceeded to do so ever since. If it happens again, I'll be forced to look into it more aggressively.

Attached Thumbnails Adaptive Cruise Control Failure Your Thoughts?-xj-6-30-14.jpg   Adaptive Cruise Control Failure Your Thoughts?-u2023.jpg   Adaptive Cruise Control Failure Your Thoughts?-u2515.jpg  
Old 07-07-2014, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Check your battery Matt and give it a full charge if needs be.

Just a thought.

Don B (07-07-2014)
Old 07-10-2014, 05:30 PM
Smile

Hi Boomersaurus,

Please report back to us after the brake sensor module is replaced. The ACC system is disabled when any of many systems shows a fault (engine, transmission, anti-lock brakes, wheel speed sensors, etc.), so hopefully replacing the sensor will restore your ACC operation.

Please let us know!

Cheers,

Don
had the new sensor installed; PRESTO .... all fixed to perfection!

Old 07-10-2014, 10:49 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

the 97-2006 xk8/r has a known history of the brake switch failure...looks like the x350 didn't escape this part stigma.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:16 PM

had the new sensor installed; PRESTO .... all fixed to perfection!
Hi Boomersaurus,

Congratulations on the resolution of your ACC malfunction! I'm still trying to figure mine out.

I would be very interested in knowing the Jaguar part number of the component that was replaced on your car. I'm not sure what the "brake sensor module" is and can't find it in the parts catalog or workshop manual. H20boy mentions the common issue of a brake switch problem. On the X350 there are two switches that sense the brake pedal movement. One is the Cruise/Speed Control Inhibit Switch (the White/Blue one), and the other is the Brake Pedal Pressure/Stoplamp Switch (the Green/Black one). Is it possible it was one of these switches that was replaced? Or an ABS Wheel Speed Sensor, perhaps?

Thanks in advance for any additional information you can provide.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 07-10-2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:22 PM

oKay here goes

Complaint: on startup, all is well. Then after a few km of driving, the amber warning dash light comes on with " Cruise not available" and " check rear lights" warning text messages.

Correction: " Checked for stored codes . Found P1571. Brake switch fail, order new switch, Removed and replaced faulty switch, clear codes and road test ok"

PART LJB6420BB. "Switch-brake PE Switch"

$198 CDN ......for Two hours Jaguar dealer labour charges plus taxes.

Hope this helps

H20boy (07-13-2014)
Old 07-12-2014, 02:31 PM

Sorry
That us $CDN 198.00 for the new part PLUS two hours dealer labour costs PLUS applicable local sales taxes

Old 07-18-2014, 11:13 PM

oKay here goes

Complaint: on startup, all is well. Then after a few km of driving, the amber warning dash light comes on with " Cruise not available" and " check rear lights" warning text messages.

Correction: " Checked for stored codes . Found P1571. Brake switch fail, order new switch, Removed and replaced faulty switch, clear codes and road test ok"

PART LJB6420BB. "Switch-brake PE Switch"

$198 CDN ......for Two hours Jaguar dealer labour charges plus taxes.

Hope this helps
Boomersaurus,

Thank you for sharing this helpful information!

For do-it-yourselfers, if you can diagnose the cruise control release switch as your problem, it's easy to replace. It's the blue/white switch mounted just below the green/black brake pressure switch on the bracket to the left of the brake pedal lever. Twist CCW to remove from the bracket, twist the new switch CW to install (the green/black switch is just the opposite - twist CW to remove, CCW to install).

According to jaguarmerriamparts.com, the list price for Jaguar part LJB6420BB is $153.47 and their discounted price is $138.41:

Jaguar Parts - Jaguar Parts Center - Call (800) 510-1401 for Genuine Jaguar Parts and Accessories

However, this is a common Ford part, and the original switch on our '04 is marked FoMoCo 3M5T-9C872-AC. The link below shows part numbers from several manufacturers:

http://www.autopartoo.com/search/dir...kw=3M5T9C872AC

This link shows the Motorcraft part I bought at O'Reilly Auto Parts, the best price I could find locally ($16.99):

Motorcraft SW6546 - Cruise Control Switch | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 07-18-2014 at 11:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
abonano (07-19-2014), lcmjaguar (07-19-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by jimbov8
Check your battery Matt and give it a full charge if needs be.

Just a thought.
I have the Mongoose and SDD software and among the challenges is a "weak" batter, although you'd never know it by the way the car starts. I guess I'm asking is a weak batter really could cause such a failure? Wouldn't it clear after startup?

Old 07-22-2014, 10:58 PM

I have the Mongoose and SDD software and among the challenges is a "weak" batter, although you'd never know it by the way the car starts. I guess I'm asking is a weak batter really could cause such a failure? Wouldn't it clear after startup?

My SDD has shown the battery symbol as Yellow, which I assume means not fully charged, even right after I installed a brand new battery. My assumption is that the battery symbol should be green. The battery symbol turns red when I disconnect the Mongoose cable from the data port.

My current assumption is that I have some high resistance somewhere in the battery power circuit (I've had the same sort of problems with our '93, which also has the battery in the trunk).

I'm also hopeful that if I can figure out how to get the battery symbol to turn green, it may go some way toward resolving our CRUISE NOT AVAILABLE issue.

Hope one of you figures it out and saves me the effort!

Cheers,

Don

Old 07-22-2014, 11:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

I had a play with my SDD over the weekend and had left my CTEK battery charger connected for the whole of the previous day. When I started up SDD the battery symbol was green but quickly went to yellow once I started playing.

It would occasionally flick back to green because the charger was still attached but you are supposed to attach a proper battery charger with a minimum of 25 amps output on an X350.

Attached Thumbnails Adaptive Cruise Control Failure Your Thoughts?-chargers.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by u102768:
AD2014 (10-14-2014), Don B (07-22-2014)
Old 10-13-2014, 10:20 PM
XJL
Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts

Boomersaurus,

Thank you for sharing this helpful information!

For do-it-yourselfers, if you can diagnose the cruise control release switch as your problem, it's easy to replace. It's the blue/white switch mounted just below the green/black brake pressure switch on the bracket to the left of the brake pedal lever. Twist CCW to remove from the bracket, twist the new switch CW to install (the green/black switch is just the opposite - twist CW to remove, CCW to install).

According to jaguarmerriamparts.com, the list price for Jaguar part LJB6420BB is $153.47 and their discounted price is $138.41:

Jaguar Parts - Jaguar Parts Center - Call (800) 510-1401 for Genuine Jaguar Parts and Accessories

However, this is a common Ford part, and the original switch on our '04 is marked FoMoCo 3M5T-9C872-AC. The link below shows part numbers from several manufacturers:

3M5T9C872AC-3M5T9C872ACManufacturers, Suppliers and Exporters on Autopartoo.com Brake System

This link shows the Motorcraft part I bought at O'Reilly Auto Parts, the best price I could find locally ($16.99):

Motorcraft SW6546 - Cruise Control Switch | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Cheers,

Don

Don,

Do you think the Motorcraft SW6546 will also work on a X358?

Old 10-14-2014, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by XJL
Don,

Do you think the Motorcraft SW6546 will also work on a X358?

Hi XJL,

A quick search at jaguarmerriamparts.com for the Jaguar part number for the cruise disable switch on our '04, LJB6420BB, does not show that part to fit cars later than 2006, but that doesn't mean it won't fit your car. It would be worth searching for the correct part number either at jaguarmerriamparts.com or in the Electronic Parts Catalog (EPC), which you can download from this forum and install on your computer.

It is quite possible that the same Motorcraft part will fit your car, but you'll need to do some research with your model year (and probably the last six digits of the VIN).

Let us know what you find out about the part number for your car and we'll see if we can match it up.

Cheers,

Don

AD2014 (10-14-2014)

Quick Reply: Adaptive Cruise Control Failure Your Thoughts?