XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Adaptive Cruise Control Query

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 10:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adaptive Cruise Control Query

Hello all!

I am currently in the process of repairing several things on my 2004 Jaguar XJR. The valley coolant hoses, the supercharger oil and coupler, the valve cover gaskets, the headliner, and various other small things that have come up over the last few years of daily driving this wonderful car. I am also trying to get to the bottom of this cruise control issue - I've never had it. In the entire time I have owned the car, right when I start it up I get that "cruise not available" message and that irritating little amber light. I don't know how I have lived with it for 3 years now. The only time it has ever worked was when we had the car in Colorado Springs a couple of summers ago. The wildfires were terrible, so there was a lot of smoke in the air, and it was pretty hot, too. Not sure if it was coincidence or if that was a factor, but for that day only the cruise control just magically worked. The car is currently in a million pieces that are getting cleaned and re-gasketed, and the battery is disconnected and being trickle charged while all of this is happening, so I can't scan any body codes (as a separate question, if anyone has a good way of getting the JLR dealer software, I would greatly appreciate the help!). That all being said, I am preemptively looking for a spare cruise control module in case that is my issue. I know it could be a myriad of things, and I will scan before I start buying parts, but in my search I have found that the Cadillac XLR from the same era as my Jag had the same Delphi unit for it's adaptive cruise control. Part numbers are based on manufacturer it seems, but they are identical from the outside. They are also much more abundant than the Jaguar-stickered one. My big question is - has anyone every tried to fit one of these units before? I have an ebay listing linked below.

Ebay listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/14575626811...YAAOSwRjVmCl90

Would also appreciate any encouragement as I am elbow deep in quite the "restoration" of several aspects of this car. Still love it to pieces, but boy have I had some long frustrating days with it.

Thanks in advance everyone, this forum has been immeasurably helpful to me.

Old 05-15-2024, 11:15 AM
Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Acharner, my 04 XJR is currently undergoing all of the repairs and replacements one does in the "Valley". I am currently replacing the cam cover gaskets. You've probably seen some of my threads and know that I wouldn't stand a prayer without this forum. I am hopeful that I might actually get her back together with the help of the exquisite fellows on this site!

My cruise control started acting as yours shortly after the warranty expired. Sometime later, I think around 2010, I discovered this Forum & have tried several things including replacing the clock spring; all to no avail. However, one of the sage contributors said that it is almost always the brake light switch; he even gave a Ford part number. I am convinced that is it. I look forward to finding out when I have the time.

I will try to find that post and send it.

Best,

Steve S.

The following users liked this post:
acharner (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 01:31 PM

Steve! Cheers for the help there. The brake switch is definitely on my list to investigate once it is somewhat back together and the battery is hooked up.

Also, I see that you are a fellow Washingtonian! Though my signature may be lying right now, we just moved to Tacoma last August. What a small world it can be.

Old 05-15-2024, 01:52 PM

Adam, welcome to the Evergreen State! We've been here since 85 & love it, politics notwithstanding. We get to Tacoma occasionally to visit the widow of one of my late business partners. I will PM you when we're there with my rebuilt ride. That is, assuming we live that long!

acharner (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 01:55 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Following same symptoms.

My adaptive cruise is not working either, but in hot weather there is no amber light and the forward alert function is functioning, bit still not the cruise. I have the speed control input switch fault p1696 code stored.

br Martin

acharner (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 04:04 PM

I was trying to find the post re the Ford Brake Switch part number and I stumbled on a credible sounding post where a fellow just sprayed the spot where the switch touches the pedal & it fixed it. I was getting ready to right it down and was distracted and I lost the link.

Worth a try?

acharner (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 09:48 PM

Steve, yes please do! That would be wonderful! We are loving it out here.

Old 05-17-2024, 09:49 PM

Martin, the only time mine every worked was in a very dry, hot climate for one day. I can't remember the body code that I got off it last summer, and it's disconnected right now. Do you know what that p1696 code you got was for?

Old 05-18-2024, 01:14 AM

Yes

P1696 is speed control input switch fault / not cancel. Adaptive speed control can link. Adaptive speed control fail.

Right now it is pretty warm here in Norway so now I have no error message. As I mentioned the forward alert is then functioning, but still not the cruise.

The relation to temperature; could it be that system is booting quicker during start up and therefore no error message?

Also thinking it could be some kind of humidity or a bad solder on a circuit board which fixes itself when warm?

Cruise not available this morning when car was cold and parker in the shade. 10 mins drive in the sun. Started the car and message is gone.

I have tried to change out the blue brake pedal switch without any success.

Martin

Last edited by MartinM.no; 05-18-2024 at 05:27 AM.
04Xjrsteve (05-18-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 06:20 AM

Martin, were you able to change the switch? Or, did you change it & acc still doesn't work?

Thanks,

Steve S

Old 05-18-2024, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by 04Xjrsteve
Martin, were you able to change the switch? Or, did you change it & acc still doesn't work?

Thanks,

Steve S
There are two switches. I changes the blue one without success. I have not tried to change the green one. Will try that.

br Martin

Old 05-18-2024, 03:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The radar unit on my 2003 swb Super V8 has been replaced by a new radar unit. A very expensive issue but glad it works again.

Old 05-19-2024, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 751 Likes on 631 Posts

All I know about adaptive cruise control after reading this forum for many years
is that adaptive cruise control can be very very problematic.