XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Adding Subs - Is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 08:18 AM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Adding Subs - Is it possible?

Hey all, I've been reading alot of threads about people replacing / upgrading factory subwoofers in their X350's, but none about them being added after the fact in cars that didn't have them, so I guess my question is; Is it possible to add subs to an x350 that did not come with them factory and have good results?

More so, is it a reasonable job to do and should one expect decent results? I suppose I know it is POSSIBLE, but I wasn't sure how much of a PITA it would be or if it would sound any good or not.

I have an earlier 04 XJ8 that came with the 10 speaker set up (2 in dash, door handle tweeters, and typical door speakers) but no sign of subs ever being intact. Does anyone know if the wires would be there for the subs if they weren't installed?

I'm completely fine with losing some trunk space and have experience with wiring and speaker systems in other vehicles, but the Jag seems to be a bit more complex than anything else I've worked on so I thought my best bet would be to consult the gurus here.

Thank you all for any information you can provide.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:07 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Sure you can, but you won't easily be installing one or two in the rear parcel shelf like OEM. You don't have the extra channels for the sub from the amp, nor will you have the subwoofer volume control with the hardware that is currently present. I doubt the wiring is there, but pulling some carpet away from the top will reveal the truth.

Getting a signal from your rear door speakers (which should be full range, anyhow) are easy as they exit the amplifier in the boot. Easiest way to get some bass is to go aftermarket with an amplifier and sub box. Trust me when I tell you to go bigger than you would normally do, because the soundproofing between the boot and cabin is incredibly good, and to get it to hit hard and feel it from the driver & passenger seat, you'll need a good amp and sub combo. And, for volume control, have a remote gain ran to the front and install it inside the glove box or in that sunglass holder by the driver's left knee. Good luck!

Old 09-11-2014, 03:10 PM

Thank you for the info H20! I was planning to have to get an aftermarket Amp/Sub and I was going to fabricate a custom box, I was just unsure of the wiring and complexity of it all. I hear alot of people getting freaked out about Fiber Optics and making it sound really scary lol. Have you done this project yourself? I'm wondering if a good 12" sub would be enough paired with a quality amp.

I'll definitely update this thread as I progress with this.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:22 PM

Nevermind I just stumbled across your thread again.