XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Advice on air strut leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 10:57 AM
Received 102 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Advice on air strut leak

My recently acquired 04 VDP is losing air from the passenger front strut. I took a look at it today, and the leak seems to be around the base of the nut on the top mounted electrical connection. It took a lot of rotations to remove - I thought maybe I could find a worn out washer or something to replace. However, it doesn't seem to be serviceable. I turned the nut back on; it doesn't tighten down and just spins after going on a certain distance. Is that normal, or should it tighten up?

Anyway, I'm looking for advice on whether this kind of leak is repairable and, if so, how? Or whether it's something non-serviceable that means having to replace the strut? When it's sitting, engine turned off, I can hear the air slightly hissing from the connection. It's not bad enough yet to keep the strut from re-inflating, but I need to get it fixed soon. Thanks.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:42 PM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

I cannot answer your exact question but will tell you even though it does re inflate when started given your in Ohio as soon as the cooler (under 50ish) weather sets in it will deflate after shut off for an hour or so. I had the same issue (small leak) in mine and while it survived the summer I just got both replaced (due to mileage and age of car) because we has a week of 60's overnight and in the morning she would be laying low. I think if you search here about fixing leaking strut you will find some info.

You will have to get it fixed or replaced soon though.

The following users liked this post:
kbeachy (09-30-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts

Put Arnotts on mine, the right one was leaking, so replaced fronts, & rebuilt the compressor.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:45 PM

I went ahead and got a pair of Arnotts for the front. Replaced the strut that was leaking yesterday; the other side seems to be working okay now. I'll probably wait on installing the second replacement until there's more wear on the strut in there now.

They ship their struts partially inflated, so when I went to reconnect the sway bar link it couldn't manually be lined up. About 6 inches off. I ended up using clamps to pull it in. When I called Arnott today to find out what they expect with that, I was told that if both wheels are off the ground that there will be enough give. I had only jacked up the one side. Interesting.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:29 AM
cjd
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

That's how a sway bar works...if one wheel is compressed and the other is not, the bar will be under tension attempting to make the sides even. I am amazed you managed to get the bar lined up to re-connect at all!

The Arnotts do not have the internal adaptive shock (which is what the electrical connection in your picture controls) like the original struts. The connection on the Arnott is simply a resister to fool the suspension module. So, in some road conditions you may get some odd behavior if you only replaced one side.

kbeachy (10-07-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 01:38 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

We've had no reports of issues involving an O.E. strut on one side and an Arnott designed new strut on the other. We do recommend replacing both at the same time because it is standard suspension advice - but it is not required. We do have a couple parts that require both sides to be replaced at the same time but not the Jag Struts.

kbeachy (10-07-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 01:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same issue. Try airdominance.co.uk they will supply a refurbished unit for £359 + a returnable deposit of £100 with a 2 year warranty.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:21 PM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Fisher
I had the same issue. Try airdominance.co.uk they will supply a refurbished unit for £359 + a returnable deposit of £100 with a 2 year warranty.
Dave if you read the later post he already replace them with Arnotts so I don't think he is looking to buy any but great to know anyway.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:12 AM

The other side already has a replacement Arnott strut, so I expect both will act the same. Maybe the original Arnott will last through the winter and maybe it won't. I'll just keep an eye on it as the weather becomes increasingly colder.